* Re: Renumbering articles in mail backend
       [not found] ` <84wuk0vtdv.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-02-17  4:44   ` Ivan Boldyrev
       [not found]     ` <84znovmbjd.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2003-02-17  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8292 day of my life Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev@uiggm.nsc.ru.microsoft.com> writes:
>
> > Counter in my mail group (nnfolder) is above 800, but actually there
> > are about dozen of mails, other are expired.  Each time I enter the
> > group, I am asked a number of messages, and it is annoying.  How can I
> > reset counter and renumber articles?
>
> Enter group with C-u RET.  Hit M P a to mark all articles.  Use B m
> to move them to the same group they came from.

Useless.  It still asks whither to get 325 messages, but shows about a
dozen.  When I moved all messages to another folder, it asked, whither
to get that number of messages, and then displayed "No unread news"
(and group file is really empty).  I left one single article in folder,
tried to use M O a B m, but useless, it only increased number :(

BTW, I used this group with "Expire time: immediately", but when I
changed to default and tried to experiment, it did not help. :(

--
Ivan Boldyrev                 remove .microsoft.com from my address
PGP fp: 3640 E637 EE3D AA51 A59F 3306 A5BD D198 5609 8673  ID 56098673

        Outlook has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
        If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

@ 2003-02-18  5:28       ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2003-02-18  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8292 day of my life Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev@uiggm.nsc.ru.microsoft.com> writes:

> >> Enter group with C-u RET.  Hit M P a to mark all articles.  Use B m
> >> to move them to the same group they came from.
> >
> > Useless.  It still asks whither to get 325 messages, but shows about a
> > dozen.
>
> I think that means you didn't truly move _all_ articles.  Try
> entering the group with C-u RET again, then look around for strange
> article numbers.  (Selecting an article shows you the number of that
> article in square brackets in the mode line (of the summary or the
> article buffer).)

Thank you for your detailed instructions ;)

All numbers are sequent.

OK, I moved my articles to new group and killed old one. Seems to be
OK. But it's annoying -- I can't even rename new group to old name.

> For example, it could be that you have old cached articles.  Try `Y
> c' to insert them.

There was an cached article, but I removed cache mark before sending
my previous post. And when I moved articles to another folder, old
group was empty, Gnus couldn't enter it.

May be it is a bug, but definetly it is misfeature. :(