* Re: many keys have preconceived notions that one reads downward
       [not found] <87el74u7m9.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2003-01-23 10:15 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> Challenge for Lars for a week: read messages starting at the bottom of
> the buffer and advancing upwards with 'p'.  You'll find that many keys
> have preconceived notions that we are supposed to move down, like E.

You could reverse the summary buffer sorting :-)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: many keys have preconceived notions that one reads downward
@ 2003-01-26  4:46 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-01-26  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Challenge for Lars for a week: read messages starting at the bottom of
> the buffer and advancing upwards with 'p'.  You'll find that many keys
> have preconceived notions that we are supposed to move down, like E.

< Virtually all the commands work that way.
<
< Actually, this would be quite easy to fix, I think.  All the
< functions (eventually) call `gnus-summary-next-subject' and
< `gnus-summary-prev-subject' to move to the next/prev article.  There
< could be a command to toggle which direction these two functions
< actually moved -- then all the commands would (as if by magic) move
< point in the opposite direction that they normally do.
<
Ok, but remember to be like one of those socket wrenches, where one
can set it for forward, reverse, and stationary -- three settings.

< Would that be useful, though?  Hitting `n' and going to the next
< message?  `SPC' down to the end of the message and then read the
< previous unread message?  Sounds pretty dubious to me.

What bugs me is  that when I hit E it is possible for the cursor to
jump 100s of messages forward, as it is looking for the next new message.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780