* Modifiable mbox?
@ 2007-04-10  8:19 Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2007-04-10  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I procmail presumed spam into an mbox file, and then periodically scan
it for ham.  Right now, I use rmail to move the ham elsewhere and
delete it from the mbox; then I convert it from Babyl back to mbox and
feed it to spamassassin for Bayesian learning.

The problem with that method is that rmail isn't my favorite
interface, and in fact it breaks after 10,000 messages.  I'd prefer to
use gnus to do my filtering and processing.  The problem is that I
can't figure out how to make gnus descend into an mbox in a writeable
fashion.  gnus-group-make-doc-group is great for browsing the group,
but doesn't let me delete ham after I've written it to a different file.

Is it possible to get gnus to descend into an mbox without
reformatting it into nnml, but still being able to delete messages?
I'd rather not move thousands of messages into separate files, since
then I'd just have to collect everything together again to feed it to
Spamassassin.

I'm also open to alternative suggestions.  My requirements are that I
need to save semi-spam in a procmail-friendly way, use gnus to move
the few real ham messages to a different place, and easily feed the
remaining stuff to spamassassin.  Other than that, I'm willing to
change how I do things.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

If you can't measure it, it's not science.
	-- Robert A. Heinlein, "The Door Into Summer"

* Re: Modifiable mbox?
@ 2007-04-11 14:07 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2007-04-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

More recent versions of Gnus than yours have spam handling built-in.
You can detect incoming spam during splitting, and you can feed
incorrectly classified ham/spam to your spam filter (Spamassassin).

As usual with Gnus, there are too many options.

Kai

Geoff Kuenning <geoff@cs.hmc.edu> writes:

> I procmail presumed spam into an mbox file, and then periodically scan
> it for ham.  Right now, I use rmail to move the ham elsewhere and
> delete it from the mbox; then I convert it from Babyl back to mbox and
> feed it to spamassassin for Bayesian learning.
>
> The problem with that method is that rmail isn't my favorite
> interface, and in fact it breaks after 10,000 messages.  I'd prefer to
> use gnus to do my filtering and processing.  The problem is that I
> can't figure out how to make gnus descend into an mbox in a writeable
> fashion.  gnus-group-make-doc-group is great for browsing the group,
> but doesn't let me delete ham after I've written it to a different file.
>
> Is it possible to get gnus to descend into an mbox without
> reformatting it into nnml, but still being able to delete messages?
> I'd rather not move thousands of messages into separate files, since
> then I'd just have to collect everything together again to feed it to
> Spamassassin.
>
> I'm also open to alternative suggestions.  My requirements are that I
> need to save semi-spam in a procmail-friendly way, use gnus to move
> the few real ham messages to a different place, and easily feed the
> remaining stuff to spamassassin.  Other than that, I'm willing to
> change how I do things.
> --
>     Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/
>
> If you can't measure it, it's not science.
> 	-- Robert A. Heinlein, "The Door Into Summer"

* Image-display troubles
@ 2008-01-08 10:55 ` Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2008-01-08 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I just upgraded (finally!) to GNUS 5.11.  But I'm having trouble with
images in MIME multipart e-mail.  In one message, typing "2 b" to see
the included picture displays it inline even though it's much wider
than my emacs window.  In another, the same sequence produces no
visible effect whatsoever.

Previously, typing "2 b" in either message would spawn my chosen
external viewer.  (Both messages predate my upgrade, and I've looked
at the pictures before.)

I poked through the image-display code, but couldn't spot anything
obvious.  I even tried redefining mm-valid-and-fit-image-p to always
return nil, without effect.  (I haven't had time to step through with
the debugger yet.)

For the second problem (no display at all), I suspect it's not
spawning my viewer for some reason.  For the first (non-fitting image
displayed) I'm clueless.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on debugging
approaches.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

You know you're a parent when you hear yourself utter the words,
"Throw up on Daddy's shoulder...good girl."

* Re: Image-display troubles
@ 2008-01-08 23:55   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-01-08 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I just upgraded (finally!) to GNUS 5.11.  But I'm having trouble with
> images in MIME multipart e-mail.

[...]

> I poked through the image-display code, but couldn't spot anything
> obvious.  I even tried redefining mm-valid-and-fit-image-p to always
> return nil, without effect.  (I haven't had time to step through with
> the debugger yet.)

Try customizing `mm-inline-large-images'.

* Re: Image-display troubles
@ 2008-01-09  1:52     ` Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2008-01-09  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Try customizing `mm-inline-large-images'.

That was the first thing I tried.  Unfortunately, it's already nil.
That was what led me to more drastic approaches, such as temporarily
redefining the function that decides whether an image will fit.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Keep trying, and keep the best.

* Re: Image-display troubles
@ 2008-01-09 23:36   ` Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2008-01-09 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I wrote:

> I just upgraded (finally!) to GNUS 5.11.  But I'm having trouble with
> images in MIME multipart e-mail.

I'm not quite sure what I did (as you might imagine, I've been doing a
bit of configuration tweaking in the last couple of days).  But it now
works the way it's supposed to: small images are displayed inline, and
large ones get shown externally.

Go figure...but don't waste your time doing so! :-)