* Searching articles
@ 2017-08-04  8:37 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2017-08-04  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When searching articles using gnus-summary-search-article-forward or
backward, the search includes headers and body. Is it possible to search
only the body of the articles?

--
~

* Re: Searching articles
@ 2017-08-04 14:37 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-08-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond <p1299721@protonmail.com> writes:

> When searching articles using gnus-summary-search-article-forward or
> backward, the search includes headers and body. Is it possible to search
> only the body of the articles?

I don't think so, no. But you could attack the problem a different way,
with "/ b" limiting to body. It doesn't behave quite the same way, but
would produce similar results...

Eric

* Re: Searching articles
@ 2017-08-04 17:05   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2017-08-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Richmond <p1299721@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> When searching articles using gnus-summary-search-article-forward or
>> backward, the search includes headers and body. Is it possible to search
>> only the body of the articles?
>
> I don't think so, no. But you could attack the problem a different way,
> with "/ b" limiting to body. It doesn't behave quite the same way, but
> would produce similar results...
>
> Eric

That's a brilliant bit of lateral thinking. And it works. Thanks.

--
~

* Re: searching articles
@ 2009-12-01 10:14 ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2009-12-01 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 30, 8:51 am, Martin Rubey <axiom...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I would like to do a search-engine like search on a (local, gnus) mail
> archive.  I just tried (in the directory where my mail resides)
>
> M-x grep -i -nH -e "modular" $(grep -l "testInterpolant" *)
>
> but this seems very clumsy.  Any better idea?

See IncrementalIndexMail[1] page at Emacs wiki.

Regards.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IncrementalIndexMail

* Re: searching articles
@ 2009-11-30 10:35 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-30 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Martin Rubey <axiomize@yahoo.de> writes:

Hi Martin,

> I would like to do a search-engine like search on a (local, gnus) mail
> archive.  I just tried (in the directory where my mail resides)
>
> M-x grep -i -nH -e "modular" $(grep -l "testInterpolant" *)
>
> but this seems very clumsy.  Any better idea?

Yes, use a search engine!  Currently, there are two very good
competitors in that field.  The first is mairix [1] and the second is
notmuch [2].  The former is integrated into Gnus via the nnmairix
backend that's included in Gnus and recent emacsen.  The latter is very
new and has an emacs interface, too, but provides no Gnus backend.  But
it's not too difficult to jump from a message found by notmuch to jump
to that message in Gnus.  I have a function for that.

Whichever you choose, both should be 1000 times faster than grepping all
mail.

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://www.rpcurnow.force9.co.uk/mairix/
[2] http://notmuchmail.org/

* Re: searching articles
@ 2009-11-30  8:18 ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-11-30  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Martin Rubey <axiomize@yahoo.de> writes:

> I would like to do a search-engine like search on a (local, gnus) mail
> archive.  I just tried (in the directory where my mail resides)
>
> M-x grep -i -nH -e "modular" $(grep -l "testInterpolant" *)
>
> but this seems very clumsy.  Any better idea?

M-x lgrep

and for a recursive search
M-x rgrep

Also emacs23 ships with mairix. From the mairix manual
"Mairix is a tool for indexing and searching words in locally stored
mail.  It was written by Richard Curnow and is licensed under the GPL."

* searching articles
@ 2009-11-30  6:51 Martin Rubey
                   ` (2 more replies)