* Can't access the gnu.* hierarchy using Gnus
@ 2017-06-03 17:35 Joseph Fineman
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Joseph Fineman @ 2017-06-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I use Gnus 5.13 to read newsgroups (as well as mail).  I have
recently encountered a frustration with regard to certain
newsgroups -- in particular, those in the gnu.* hierarchy.  I am
subscribed to them, but they do not show up in the *Group* buffer.
When I bring them up by hitting L, they all show 0 for the number of
postings, and when I call them up, they omit all recent postings.  In
particular, gnu.emacs.gnus shows nothing since 24 September 2016, tho
Google Groups (may its name be blotted out!) reveals a dozen more
recent postings, the latest on 8 January 2017.  Gnus seemed to accept
a posting by me, but it never appeared, there or on Google Groups.

What am I doing wrong?
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  It's no disgrace to be poor, but it might as well be.  :||

* Re: Can't access the gnu.* hierarchy using Gnus
@ 2017-06-03 18:18 ` Harry Putnam
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-06-03 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joseph Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> I use Gnus 5.13 to read newsgroups (as well as mail).  I have
> recently encountered a frustration with regard to certain
> newsgroups -- in particular, those in the gnu.* hierarchy.  I am
> subscribed to them, but they do not show up in the *Group* buffer.
> When I bring them up by hitting L, they all show 0 for the number of
> postings, and when I call them up, they omit all recent postings.  In
> particular, gnu.emacs.gnus shows nothing since 24 September 2016, tho
> Google Groups (may its name be blotted out!) reveals a dozen more
> recent postings, the latest on 8 January 2017.  Gnus seemed to accept
> a posting by me, but it never appeared, there or on Google Groups.

8 January...Yikes

Using enews.newsguy.com...as a foreign server in gnus, I see your
message of 10:35 today on gnu.emacs.gnus and I see 5 since Jan 8, the
most recent being May 4

Sorry I'm not really helping with your request.  But thought you might
like the input about gnu.emacs.gnus.

Also, you might learn something by checking the server buffer with `^'
in group buffer.

But I kind of doubt anything there would make all messages appear as
old.

* Re: Can't access the gnu.* hierarchy using Gnus
@ 2017-06-12 19:30 ` Mike Small
From: Mike Small @ 2017-06-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joseph Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> I use Gnus 5.13 to read newsgroups (as well as mail).  I have
> recently encountered a frustration with regard to certain
> newsgroups -- in particular, those in the gnu.* hierarchy.  I am
> subscribed to them, but they do not show up in the *Group* buffer.
> When I bring them up by hitting L, they all show 0 for the number of
> postings, and when I call them up, they omit all recent postings.  In
> particular, gnu.emacs.gnus shows nothing since 24 September 2016, tho
> Google Groups (may its name be blotted out!) reveals a dozen more
> recent postings, the latest on 8 January 2017.  Gnus seemed to accept
> a posting by me, but it never appeared, there or on Google Groups.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Could you have accidently changed those groups' level, i.e. unsubscribed
from them? With the cursor on one group, if you run
gnus-group-set-current-level (S l) and type 3 (or the level you want)
for the level does a group come back to life for you?

Levels and subscribing to groups is described in section 2.6, Group
Levels, in the manual.

--
Mike Small
smallm@sdf.org

* Re: Can't access the gnu.* hierarchy using Gnus
@ 2017-06-12 23:11 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joseph Fineman wrote:

> I use Gnus 5.13 to read newsgroups (as well
> as mail). I have recently encountered
> a frustration with regard to certain
> newsgroups -- in particular, those in the
> gnu.* hierarchy.

What server do you get them from?

Do `gnus-group-enter-server-mode' in the group
buffer to see if it is offline. If it is closed
open it up with `gnus-server-open-server'.

I have these groups from nntp.aioe.org and it
seems to work fine, tho I don't use
gnu.emacs.help but gmane.emacs.help (and so on)
these days.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Automatically sort groups into topics
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-06-13 11:24 ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-06-13 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

Does anybody know of a way to automatically sort groups into
different topics? More specifically, through Sieve filtering, any
mailing list I subscribe to has a folder created for it, inside
the Lists IMAP folder.

In Gnus, this results in mailing lists groups being prefixed with
"Lists." - and I'd like to put all groups beginning with "Lists."
into the topic `lists'.

Any ideas?

- John

PS. Bonus question: is there any simple way to write a new
message to a mailing list from its summary buffer? When replying,
`S L` is very helpful, but that includes the original message. I
would, at least, like a `S l` that creates a new message to the
mailing list without the original message, but ideally, a whole
nother command that keeps only the To: field but clears the
Subject: and message text.

(Thanks!)

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-13 18:29   ` B.V. Raghav
From: B.V. Raghav @ 2017-06-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Ankarström; +Cc: info-gnus-english

john@ankarstrom.se (John Ankarström) writes:

> PS. Bonus question: is there any simple way to write a new
> message to a mailing list from its summary buffer? When replying,
> `S L` is very helpful, but that includes the original message. I
> would, at least, like a `S l` that creates a new message to the
> mailing list without the original message,

This is not an answer to your question. But still not orthogonal either
(I hope. In case your use case covers mailing lists archived on gmane or
other newsgroups.)

I access your message through nntp (aka Usenet, Newsgroup). And a simple
keybinding `a' from article buffer, or summary buffer, or group buffer
(while on the group) has the same effect --- start composing a message
to the newsgroup.

Here is the describe-key for `a'

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
a runs the command gnus-summary-post-news (found in
gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled
Lisp function in ‘gnus-msg.el’.

It is bound to a, S p, <menu-bar> <Post> <Send a message (mail or
news)>.

(gnus-summary-post-news &optional ARG)

Start composing a message.  Post to the current group by default.
If ARG, don’t do that.  If ARG is 1, prompt for a group name to post to.
Depending on the selected group, the message might be either a mail or
a news.
#+END_QUOTE

HTH
--
(B.V. Raghav)

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-14  1:29   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-14  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Ankarström wrote:

> Does anybody know of a way to automatically
> sort groups into different topics?
> More specifically, through Sieve filtering,
> any mailing list I subscribe to has a folder
> created for it, inside the Lists IMAP folder.

As for mailing lists that are on Gmane,
use Gmane.

If they aren't, make sure they are :)

If you cannot -- hey, what lists are you on
anyway?! -- if you cannot, use mail splitting
to steer the traffic into a group which you
name whatever you want.

Note that this isn't as good as Gmane even if
done rightly because all the traffic gets to
you, not just the posts you care for, but it
should work as a way to organize
incoming mail.

Mail splitting can be useful tho, e.g.
create a mail.spam group and then steer spam
into it.

> In Gnus, this results in mailing lists groups
> being prefixed with "Lists." - and I'd like
> to put all groups beginning with "Lists."
> into the topic `lists'.

Well, isn't your Group buffer sorted
alphabetically already?

> PS. Bonus question: is there any simple way
> to write a new message to a mailing list from
> its summary buffer?

`gnus-summary-post-news'?

--

@ 2017-06-14  1:32     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-14  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

B.V. Raghav wrote:

> I access your message through nntp (aka
> Usenet, Newsgroup)

Well, NNTP is the *protocol*, so Gmane is also
NNTP, it is a mail-to-news, or NNTP, gateway.
Still, I like to think of Gmane as Usenet 2.0
or Usenet Reloaded :)

--

@ 2017-06-14  6:57     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-06-14  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> If they aren't, make sure they are :)

How?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Thanks to enzymes, humans are solar-powered."               Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-14  7:04       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-14  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> If they aren't, make sure they are :)
>
> How?

You tell me!

You are saying you are not accepting any new lists at
the moment?

--

@ 2017-06-14  7:11         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-06-14  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> You tell me!
>
> You are saying you are not accepting any new lists at
> the moment?

I think you have your "you"s confused. See:

 · http://home.gmane.org/

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Vegetarian progressive grindcore"                           Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-14  7:30           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-14  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I think you have your "you"s confused. See:
>
> http://home.gmane.org/

A lot of text there. Care to quote where this is
touched upon?

--

@ 2017-06-14  7:53             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-06-14  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> http://home.gmane.org/

> A lot of text there. Care to quote where this is
> touched upon?

I can give you the "too long; didn't read"-version: Lars burned out on
running Gmane, another team took over, [visible] progress has been low
lately.

New mailing lists cannot be added currently, so telling people to do so
is not a good idea.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Jabba the Hutt meets Rudolf the Reindeer. I                 Adam Sjøgren
  dunno, Mom."                                           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-14  8:14               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-14  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> New mailing lists cannot be added currently, so
> [...] is not a good idea.

One idea that is good tho is providing essential
information immediately :)

--

@ 2017-06-14 11:07                 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-06-14 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> New mailing lists cannot be added currently, so
>> [...] is not a good idea.

> One idea that is good tho is providing essential
> information immediately :)

This is 9+ months old information. And we're off topic.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Grittings. Ma nam is Kahlfin."                              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-14 11:30                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-14 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> This is 9+ months old information

Oh, yeah? Some of the questions on gmane.emacs.help
could have been asked in the 70s just as well...

--

@ 2017-06-14 13:20     ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-06-14 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello Emanuel, and thanks for your answer.

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> As for mailing lists that are on Gmane, use Gmane.

I like to be able to read the mailing lists I subscribe to from
anywhere, and the only way to reliably do that is subscribing via
e-mail. For that reason, I don't use NNTP, only IMAP.

> If you cannot -- hey, what lists are you on anyway?! -- if you
> cannot, use mail splitting to steer the traffic into a group
> which you name whatever you want.

I prefer to handle all filtering server-side via Sieve, so that I
have it available on any device, including my phone. This works
very well for me, probably just as well as the mail splitting
built into Gnus.

> Well, isn't your Group buffer sorted alphabetically already?

Well, alphabetical order would be one way to do it, but I'd like
to be more flexible than that. Currently I sort the group buffer
by score, which I find is helpful.

Furthermore, this:

[ lists -- 38 ]
     19/331  : help-gnu-emacs
      0/50   : info-gnus-english
      9/215  : postfix-users
     10/316  : emacs-orgmode

... is more visually appealing than this:

19/331  : Lists.help-gnu-emacs
 0/50   : Lists.info-gnus-english
 9/215  : Lists.postfix-users
10/316  : Lists.emacs-orgmode

Right now, I automatically remove the "Lists." prefix, but still
have to manually add every mailing list to the `lists' topic, but
I'd like this to happen automatically.

Could I, somehow, loop through all groups available and manually
move them depending on their name? Or is there a better way to
achieve this, more built into Gnus?

> `gnus-summary-post-news'?

This unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me - I suppose it's
because I use IMAP instead of NNTP ... :-)

Thank you again for a thorough answer,
- John

* Re: Automatically sort groups into topics
@ 2017-06-15  6:40       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-15  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

john@ankarstrom.se (John Ankarström) writes:

> Well, alphabetical order would be one way to do it

I'll get back to this issue later...

>> `gnus-summary-post-news'?
>
> This unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me -
> I suppose it's because I use IMAP instead of NNTP

The simplest way to do this manually is to use the
.mailrc file - one line would look like this:

    alias w3m "w3m-el list <emacs-w3m@namazu.org>"

It'll be manual but very quick. One stroke to bring up
a new empty mail, three strokes to write "w3m".

The .mailrc file is great for person-to-person mails
as well, and as an address book.

To do this automatically it can be done with the
gnus-mailing-list-* functions, perhaps with a bit of
tweaking (i.e., look how it is done, write your own
defun) - however this is all based on getting header
data from a present article (or mail). If there isn't
one, it won't work.

I suppose you could set up an association table
between what you call the lists as groups and their
addresses. Too much work for such a small gain,
I'd say.

--

@ 2017-06-15 13:26       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-15 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Ankarström wrote:

> Well, alphabetical order would be one way to
> do it, but I'd like to be more flexible than
> that. Currently I sort the group buffer by
> score, which I find is helpful.

Remember it is not only an alphabetical sort,
it is implicitly a theme sort because of the
hierarchy style of naming groups.

To sort groups based on score - how would you
then find a particular group? No scoring system
will ever be so good as to put the right group
in front of you every time.

Take a look at these dumps:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus-abc/

One key to get a subset of groups - here, those
with traffic *and* above level 3, inclusive.
Note that this list is also in ABC.

Another key to get every other group.

So in essence, keep sorted, remove subsets.

I post the Elisp here, perhaps you can use it
to do whatever it is you want to do:

    (defun gnus-group-list-few-groups-sort ()
      "List subscribed groups with level below `gnus-level-subscribed'.
    Sort with `gnus-group-sort-function'."
      (interactive)
      (gnus-group-list-groups gnus-level-subscribed)
      (gnus-group-sort-groups gnus-group-sort-function)
      )

    (defun gnus-group-list-all-groups-sort ()
      "List all subscribed groups.
    Sort with `gnus-group-sort-function'."
      (interactive)
      (gnus-group-list-all-groups)