* groups not being scanned
@ 2017-08-16 17:54 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-08-16 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello all,

Long story short for background: I have had to move back to Outlook
exchange server for my emails.  I used to use this server before and
everything (sort of) worked.  Moved 1.5 years ago to gmail for speed
(especially search) but I have had to move back.

For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I ask for new email, only my
INBOX is scanned.  Other groups on that server are not even though their
levels are low enough (with respect to gnus-activate-level).  Multiple
group scanning works on my gmail servers.

Is there a server specific setting that would affect this?

Many thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga
: in Emacs 26.0.50 + Gnus v5.13 + evil-git-f371f2c

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: groups not being scanned
@ 2017-08-16 19:21 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-08-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Hello all,
>
> Long story short for background: I have had to move back to Outlook
> exchange server for my emails.  I used to use this server before and
> everything (sort of) worked.  Moved 1.5 years ago to gmail for speed
> (especially search) but I have had to move back.
>
> For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I ask for new email, only my
> INBOX is scanned.  Other groups on that server are not even though their
> levels are low enough (with respect to gnus-activate-level).  Multiple
> group scanning works on my gmail servers.
>
> Is there a server specific setting that would affect this?

Not that I'm aware of... Can you explicitly scan other groups with M-g
in the *Group* buffer?

Maybe try setting the nnimap-streaming server variable to nil?

Alternately, edebug the function `nnimap-retrieve-group-data-early' and
see if the "infos" argument contains all the groups it should? You could
also take a look at `nnimap-get-groups'?

Dunno...

Eric

* Re: groups not being scanned
@ 2017-08-17  6:36   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-08-17  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wednesday, 16 Aug 2017 at 12:21, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Long story short for background: I have had to move back to Outlook
>> exchange server for my emails.  I used to use this server before and
>> everything (sort of) worked.  Moved 1.5 years ago to gmail for speed
>> (especially search) but I have had to move back.
>>
>> For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I ask for new email, only my
>> INBOX is scanned.  Other groups on that server are not even though their
>> levels are low enough (with respect to gnus-activate-level).  Multiple
>> group scanning works on my gmail servers.
>>
>> Is there a server specific setting that would affect this?
>
> Not that I'm aware of... Can you explicitly scan other groups with M-g
> in the *Group* buffer?

I can scan any group from that server manually, with M-g.

My OP was wrong, by the way: none of the groups get scanned.  Somehow I
convinced myself that INBOX was being scanned but it wasn't.

So the question is more straightforward: why is my Exchange server being
ignored completely when I ask to fetch new news?  It's in the list of
servers (and verified looking at the server buffer) and is included in
the gnus-secondary-select-methods list.

> Alternately, edebug the function `nnimap-retrieve-group-data-early' and
> see if the "infos" argument contains all the groups it should? You could
> also take a look at `nnimap-get-groups'?

Very helpful in that it showed that the Exchange server is never
scanned.

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga
: in Emacs 26.0.50 + Gnus v5.13 + evil-git-cecbcfb

@ 2017-08-17 22:41     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-08-17 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Wednesday, 16 Aug 2017 at 12:21, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Long story short for background: I have had to move back to Outlook
>>> exchange server for my emails.  I used to use this server before and
>>> everything (sort of) worked.  Moved 1.5 years ago to gmail for speed
>>> (especially search) but I have had to move back.
>>>
>>> For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I ask for new email, only my
>>> INBOX is scanned.  Other groups on that server are not even though their
>>> levels are low enough (with respect to gnus-activate-level).  Multiple
>>> group scanning works on my gmail servers.
>>>
>>> Is there a server specific setting that would affect this?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of... Can you explicitly scan other groups with M-g
>> in the *Group* buffer?
>
> I can scan any group from that server manually, with M-g.
>
> My OP was wrong, by the way: none of the groups get scanned.  Somehow I
> convinced myself that INBOX was being scanned but it wasn't.

Then the function to edebug is `gnus-get-unread-articles'. That's going
to be a long boring slog (if you have many other servers, maybe close
them first), but it ought to show you what's going on.

I'd recommend starting the edebug, then jumping to line 1701 (in Emacs
master), and checking out the value of the "type-cache" variable (got to
love Gnus' impenetrably-named variables). That should hold a list of all
the servers that Gnus is going to check groups for. Either the Exchange
server won't be in there (in which case start over and follow from the
top), or it will be (in which case follow on from there, and see what
happens).

Wish I had a better solution!

Eric