* Problem with archive group
@ 2007-05-29 12:17 leandro noferini
From: leandro noferini @ 2007-05-29 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ciao a tutti,

some days  ago I  changed my  archive group from  nnfolder to  nnml with
these lines in .gnus

(setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
					 (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
					 (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
					 (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
					 (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
       '((if (message-news-p)
	     "misc-news"
           (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))

But now I have in Summary this line for archive:

nnfolder+archive:mail-2007-05

And when I try to select this I cannot see anything: how could correct?

--
Ciao
leandro

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Problem with archive group
@ 2007-05-30  0:50 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-30  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> some days  ago I  changed my  archive group from  nnfolder to  nnml with
> these lines in .gnus

> (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
> 					 (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
> 					 (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
> 					 (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
> 					 (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>        '((if (message-news-p)
> 	     "misc-news"
>            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))

> But now I have in Summary this line for archive:

> nnfolder+archive:mail-2007-05

> And when I try to select this I cannot see anything: how could correct?

I've been thinking that that is a bug, though I have no idea of
how to fix it so far.  But I can offer a workaround.

1. Close Gnus and Emacs.

2. Make backup files of ~/.newsrc.eld and ~/.newsrc (there might
   not be the later).

3. Start Emacs and Gnus, and read at least one article.

4. Evaluate the following form in the *scratch* buffer (copy
   this form to the *scratch* buffer and type `C-j' at the end
   of the form):

   (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist)

   Confirm that it returns something like the following:

   ("archive" nnfolder ...)

   If you don't see it (unfortunately), do nothing further.

5. Evaluate the following form in the *scratch* buffer:

   (setcdr (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist) gnus-message-archive-method)

6. Exit Gnus by typing `q', not `Q', in the group buffer.

Then, the problem has been solved, hasn't it?

The problem is that the server named "archive" in the
`gnus-server-alist' variable, which is saved in the ~/.newsrc.eld
file, does not reflect the value of `gnus-message-archive-method'
being changed by a user.

Regards,

* Re: Problem with archive group
@ 2007-05-31  8:04   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-31  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> some days  ago I  changed my  archive group from  nnfolder to  nnml with
>> these lines in .gnus

>> (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
>> 					 (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>> 					 (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>> 					 (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>> 					 (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>        '((if (message-news-p)
>> 	     "misc-news"
>>            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))

>> But now I have in Summary this line for archive:

>> nnfolder+archive:mail-2007-05

>> And when I try to select this I cannot see anything: how could correct?

Another possible cause is that there has already been the file
named "~/Mail/archive/mail-2007-05", which archives past messages
in the nnfolder format.  It prevents Gnus from creating the nnml
group with the same name.  Because the nnml backend requires to
make a directory of which the name is a group name.  I confirmed
it with a new user account that I made for testing this issue.
If it is true of your case, I think it can be solved in this way:

1. Make a temporary nnml group with a unique name.  For instance,
   type `G m temp-2007-05 RET nnml RET' in the group buffer.

2. Open the nnfolder+archive:mail-2007-05 group using `C-u SPC',
   type `0 C-M-t M-< C-SPC M-> B m', and enter the name of the
   temporary nnml group that you made.

3. Exit the summary buffer, move the cursor to the
   nnfolder+archive:mail-2007-05 group, and type `C-u G DEL' in
   order to delete that nnfolder group throughly.

4. After the nnml+archive:mail-2007-05 group is created, move
   all the messages from the temporary nnml group there and
   delete the temporary nnml group as you did in 2. and 3.

Regards,

* Re: Problem with archive group
@ 2007-06-01 20:16   ` leandro noferini
From: leandro noferini @ 2007-06-01 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka ha scritto:

[...]

> > And when I try to select this I cannot see anything: how could correct?
>
> I've been thinking that that is a bug, though I have no idea of
> how to fix it so far.  But I can offer a workaround.
>
> 1. Close Gnus and Emacs.
>
> 2. Make backup files of ~/.newsrc.eld and ~/.newsrc (there might
>    not be the later).
>
> 3. Start Emacs and Gnus, and read at least one article.
>
> 4. Evaluate the following form in the *scratch* buffer (copy
>    this form to the *scratch* buffer and type `C-j' at the end
>    of the form):
>
>    (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist)
>
>    Confirm that it returns something like the following:
>
>    ("archive" nnfolder ...)
>
>    If you don't see it (unfortunately), do nothing further.
>
> 5. Evaluate the following form in the *scratch* buffer:
>
>    (setcdr (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist) gnus-message-archive-method)
>
> 6. Exit Gnus by typing `q', not `Q', in the group buffer.
>
> Then, the problem has been solved, hasn't it?

Yes, it was solved!

Thanks a lot!

--

@ 2007-06-01 21:16   ` leandro noferini