* Re: Oort Gnus 0.16 failing inline html-handling
       [not found] <87wuje23mi.fsf@phoenix.tiscali.no>
@ 2003-03-04 22:27 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]   ` <87k7feenoj.fsf@phoenix.tiscali.no>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-03-04 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per-Karsten Nordhaug <pnordhaug@tiscali.no> writes:

> Whenever I try to read a html-formatted mail or news posting, gnus
> crashes on me, giving the following error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function mailcap-parse-mailcaps)
>   mailcap-parse-mailcaps()
>   mm-display-part((#<buffer  *mm*<3>> [..]
>
> Any suggestions on how to correct this behavior ?

Two suggestions:

* Are you sure, that you've installed Gnus correctly?  I.e. with
  './configure; make'.  Does `M-x list-load-path-shadows' reveal
  anything shadowing Oort?

* Try to put `(require 'gnus-load)' in your .emacs.

* Re: Oort Gnus 0.16 failing inline html-handling
       [not found]     ` <84r89mffxm.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-03-05  9:11       ` Per-Karsten Nordhaug
       [not found]         ` <m3smu0c5ya.fsf@defun.localdomain>
From: Per-Karsten Nordhaug @ 2003-03-05  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Kai Großjohann]
> Per-Karsten Nordhaug <pnordhaug@tiscali.no> writes:
>> list-load-path-shadows prints out a *long* list of paths...
> The question is: is Oort shadowing other stuff (that's okay) or vice
> versa (that's not okay)?

This MIGHT have had something to do with it, but anyways I managed to
solve the problem. A search on google on the errormessage reported
someone having the same problem due to flim. Removing that (which I
don't need anyway), removed the error. Wheee :-)

--
there are 10 kinds of people in the world;

@ 2003-03-07  9:46           ` Romain FRANCOISE
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-03-07  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> I guess the reason so many people install it is because the Redhat RPM
> for w3m-el lists FLIM as a dependency.  I don't see why -- AFAICT w3m-el
> works perfectly fine without it.

Maybe because emacs-w3m comes with Shimbun, and Shimbun needs FLIM to
work.  But I don't have the RPM at hand, so I can't check.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | And you never lay down and
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | you never stay home...