* Re: spam.el/spam-stat checks in non-mail groups
       [not found] <87ekzealuw.fsf@everett.mit.edu>
@ 2003-08-22 10:31 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-08-22 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, dmaze@mit.edu wrote:

> I have spam.el happily set up to use spam-stat for all of my
> incoming mail.  This works great, but I have groups that aren't mail
> groups.  In particular, I have a couple of groups that are read-only
> archives of mailing lists[1], so these also get a fair bit of spam.
> Is there a way to run the spam.el checks on messages in non-news
> groups, and automatically give spam messages '$' marks if they need
> it?

Well these are two different things.

You can make a newsgroup a spam group, so unread or unseen messages
will get the spam-mark.  Just make sure spam-process-destination is
nil because you can't move messages of course.

You can't currently do spam checks on unseen messages in a newsgroup.

It should be possible though, by running spam-split on every unseen
message at summary entry and checking if the output is equal to
spam-split-group (remember that the ifile backend, for instance, will
output a valid group name for non-spam so you can't just check for a
string).  It's pretty simple to do this.  Maybe in such groups the
spam-process-destination should be automatically ignored but all other
spam functionality should be available.

I don't think there's a way to automatically find out if a group is
not a mail group, is there?

What do you think?

Ted

* Re: spam.el/spam-stat checks in non-mail groups
@ 2003-08-22 19:26   ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2003-08-22 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> You can't currently do spam checks on unseen messages in a newsgroup.
>
> It should be possible though, by running spam-split on every unseen
> message at summary entry and checking if the output is equal to
> spam-split-group (remember that the ifile backend, for instance, will
> output a valid group name for non-spam so you can't just check for a
> string).

Hmm, like this?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 526 bytes --]

I should probably use gnus-newsgroup-unseen rather than
gnus-newsgroup-articles.  But for a first pass, this appears to at
least be close.

> I don't think there's a way to automatically find out if a group is
> not a mail group, is there?

I actually only care about a single backend, which is easier to
check.  You can check if something is news or not (gnus-news-group-p),
at least.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell

* Re: spam.el/spam-stat checks in non-mail groups
@ 2003-08-23 14:07     ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2003-08-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)