* Re: sending automatic bcc to myself
       [not found]         ` <86r830fxl0.fsf@doze.rijnh.nl>
@ 2003-09-02 10:05           ` Serge Olkhowik
From: Serge Olkhowik @ 2003-09-02 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:27:23 +0200
 Jochen Küpper (Jochen) wrote:

 Serge> As for me I use procmail for filtering mail on IMAP folders
 Serge> (courier-IMAP) so sent mail is filtered automatically when Bcc.

 Jochen> Well, I archive my mail in different groups depending on which
 Jochen> group I send them from. You can still do that with bcc and
 Jochen> procmail, but generally Gnus is just the right place for this. I'd
 Jochen> say...

Yes, but when you use more mail agents? ;)

As I understand, you should have something like this:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group '(lambda (name)
                                     (name)))

in order to save message into the same group where it was written?

--
Serge Olkhowik <solo@isd.dp.ua>
ISD Configuration Management Team <cm@isd.dp.ua>

* Re: sending automatic bcc to myself
       [not found]           ` <84y8xi3im2.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-08-25  9:27             ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-08-25  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:28:53 +0200 Kai Großjohann wrote:

Kai> Jochen Küpper <jochen-W2i0oK7yYu0+t3nig+EZI7NAH6kLmebB@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> I don't get the point, I am afraid.

Kai> Say you now have

Kai> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
Kai>               '(nnimap "foo"
Kai>                (nnimap-address "my.imap.server")))

And
,----
`----

Kai> Now it turns out that the server admins want to switch to SSL, so
Kai> you change the above to

Kai> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
Kai>               '(nnimap "foo"
Kai>                (nnimap-address "my.imap.server")
Kai>                (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Kai> With your method, you have to repeat this change in
Kai> gnus-message-archive-method, too.

How? What to?

I would just leave it at the above. I actually changed from
(specified) ssl to (autodetected) starttls at some point without
touching ``gnus-message-archive-method '(nnimap "foo")'' AFAICR.

Kai> With my suggestion, the group names nnimap+foo:my.archive.group
Kai> don't change, and so you just have to change one spot.

Well, I could write a function to provide this prefix, but *I* do need
the prefix at several points in my Gnus init file.

Kai> The same reasoning applies if you add/change any other parameter.
Kai> Maybe your IMAP server moves and you change the nnimap-address
Kai> parameter, or perhaps you change nnimap-news-groups, or...

To my mind I should't have to do anything to
gnus-message-archive-method as long as I keep the name "foo" in the
above server specification.

AFAICT Gnus just puts the prefix derived from the
gnus-message-archive-method ("nnimap+foo:") in front of each string in
gnus-message-archive-group. Which comes down to the same group names
you'd generate by hand... Since there's some calculation involved for
me to generate the group names, I'm happy to leave the server issue
out for simplicity.

Greetings,
Jochen
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll