* Advice, please: ISP that supports Gnus
@ 2008-06-21  0:21 Joe Fineman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joe Fineman @ 2008-06-21  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

At present my ISP is Verizon, which does not officially support Gnus,
but has never given me any trouble using it.  However, as you have
perhaps heard, on 24 June Verizon is dropping all newsgroup
hierarchies other than the so-called Big 8, so that I will no longer
be able to browse this newsgroup or, in fact, most of the ones that I
now look at.

This seems like a good time to ask what ISPs normal Gnus types use.

Thank you for your attention.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Bores punish kindness.  :||

* Re: Advice, please: ISP that supports Gnus
@ 2008-06-21  1:02 ` Charles philip Chan
       [not found] ` <mailman.13626.1214010203.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-06-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> At present my ISP is Verizon, which does not officially support Gnus,
> but has never given me any trouble using it.  However, as you have
> perhaps heard, on 24 June Verizon is dropping all newsgroup
> hierarchies other than the so-called Big 8, so that I will no longer
> be able to browse this newsgroup or, in fact, most of the ones that I
> now look at.

Use a public Uesnet server that allow posting. I personally use
news.gmane.org.

Charles

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

@ 2008-06-21  1:24   ` Francis Litterio
From: Francis Litterio @ 2008-06-21  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Charles philip Chan wrote:

> Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> At present my ISP is Verizon, which does not officially support Gnus,
>> but has never given me any trouble using it.  However, as you have
>> perhaps heard, on 24 June Verizon is dropping all newsgroup
>> hierarchies other than the so-called Big 8, so that I will no longer
>> be able to browse this newsgroup or, in fact, most of the ones that I
>> now look at.
>
> Use a public Uesnet server that allow posting. I personally use
> news.gmane.org.

Does Gmane's news server actually carry real Usenet groups or just
Gmane's mailing lists in group form?
--
Fran

* Re: Advice, please: ISP that supports Gnus
@ 2008-06-21  2:17     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-06-21  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Francis Litterio <email@not.available> writes:

> Does Gmane's news server actually carry real Usenet groups or just
> Gmane's mailing lists in group form?

Sorry, I should have given a better example- this one is mainly for
gmane mailing lists. However, there are tons of public servers out there
that carry a lot more groups- google is your friend:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=public+usenet+server&spell=1

Just look for one that allow posting.

@ 2008-06-21  2:55 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-06-21  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:21:13 GMT, Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> wrote:
> At present my ISP is Verizon, which does not officially support Gnus,
> but has never given me any trouble using it.  However, as you have
> perhaps heard, on 24 June Verizon is dropping all newsgroup
> hierarchies other than the so-called Big 8, so that I will no longer
> be able to browse this newsgroup or, in fact, most of the ones that I
> now look at.
>
> This seems like a good time to ask what ISPs normal Gnus types use.

I've been a very happy user of `news.sunsite.dk' for a few years now.
The service _does_ require a registration and an `~/.authinfo' file with
the username you chose and the password provided by the web interface of
the service, but other than that it is a freely available and it has
been marvelously stable for me, ever since I registered.

Registration information, and helpful instructions for configuring Gnus
to use the service can be found at:

    http://www.dotsrc.org/usenet/

If your ISP doesn't do obnoxious things like blocking NNTP connections
to outside addresses, it should be a piece of cake to register and start
using `news.sunsite.dk'.

Cheers,
Giorgos