* wrong unread count on imap server synced with offlineimap
@ 2018-02-10 15:19 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2018-02-10 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

First of all I'd like to know what the status is regarding the of the
unread messages count for the nnimap backup. A few years ago, I'd been
told that Gnus couldn't provide an accurate number since it didn't
directly queried the IMAP server but computed it from some message ID
number. Is that still the case ?

Second, I'm experiencing a strange behaviour. I'm syncing my ISP imap
folders on two different computers with offlineimap. I'm also syncing the
.newsrc.eld file between the computers. I'd expect Gnus to display the
same unread counts on both computers but while it's correct on one, it's
off by several thousands on the other one. Is offlineimap to blame ?

Julien.

* Re: wrong unread count on imap server synced with offlineimap
@ 2018-02-10 16:43 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2018-02-10 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I don't know the answer to your first question, but regarding your
second question:

> Second, I'm experiencing a strange behaviour. I'm syncing my ISP imap
> folders on two different computers with offlineimap. I'm also syncing the
> .newsrc.eld file between the computers. I'd expect Gnus to display the
> same unread counts on both computers but while it's correct on one, it's
> off by several thousands on the other one. Is offlineimap to blame ?

I don't think your set-up makes sense.  I don't think it is possible
for offlineimap to ensure that the two IMAP servers use the same
internal message numbers when it copies messages.  And Gnus uses
these numbers to track things like unread status, so you shouldn't
use the same .newsrc.eld for the two servers.  If you don't
synchronize the .newsrc.eld, things should work fine.

Dan

* Re: wrong unread count on imap server synced with offlineimap
@ 2018-02-11  2:34   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-02-11  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Aloha,

I use and sync the same .newsrc.eld file across several computers and
two IMAP servers, but I let Gnus pull from the servers directly and
don't use offlineimap. There is never a discrepancy this way.

FWIW you can check the unread count directly by capturing (and
parsing, if you wish) the output of this command:

curl -s --insecure --url "imaps://whatever.imap.server" --user
"myuserid:mypassword" --request "STATUS INBOX (UNSEEN)"

Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: wrong unread count on imap server synced with offlineimap
@ 2018-02-11 12:32   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2018-02-11 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> I don't think your set-up makes sense.  I don't think it is possible
> for offlineimap to ensure that the two IMAP servers use the same
> internal message numbers when it copies messages.  And Gnus uses
> these numbers to track things like unread status, so you shouldn't
> use the same .newsrc.eld for the two servers.  If you don't
> synchronize the .newsrc.eld, things should work fine.

But only if I synchronize the .newsrc.eld file can I get the
tick/dormant and so one flags consistent between the two machines, not
to mention the nnml groups I also use. I guess I should also synchronize
the whole offline imap directories then, but I'd like to avoid this as
it seems an unnecessary when there is already a remote imap server in
the picture.

@ 2018-02-13 19:31     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2018-02-13 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Feb 11, 2018, Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> wrote:

> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
>

>> I don't think your set-up makes sense.  I don't think it is possible
>> for offlineimap to ensure that the two IMAP servers use the same
>> internal message numbers when it copies messages.  And Gnus uses
>> these numbers to track things like unread status, so you shouldn't
>> use the same .newsrc.eld for the two servers.  If you don't
>> synchronize the .newsrc.eld, things should work fine.
>
> But only if I synchronize the .newsrc.eld file can I get the
> tick/dormant and so one flags consistent between the two machines

The following explains how to make offlineimap sync the custom
gnus flags:

  https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/wiki/Syncing-custom-tags

> not to mention the nnml groups I also use.

That's a harder problem.  But if you use different server names for
the IMAP servers on the two machines, then maybe synchronizing the
.newsrc.eld won't cause a problem with IMAP.

Dan