* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
       [not found] <47073.0785092869$1703954497@news.gmane.org>
@ 2023-12-30 19:01 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-12-30 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Husain Alshehhi <husain@alshehhi.io> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When gnus starts (M-x gnus), it automatically get new news. This is a
> reasonable default. But when I start gnus multiple times to look up a
> message, I have to wait few seconds for it to start. Is there a way to
> prevent gnus to get new news at startup time, and only do it manually?

The command `gnus-no-server' will likely do what you want.

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
       [not found] <47073.0785092869$1703954497@news.gmane.org>
@ 2023-12-31  3:38 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-12-31  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Husain Alshehhi wrote:

> When gnus starts (M-x gnus), it automatically get new news.
> This is a reasonable default. But when I start gnus multiple
> times to look up a message, I have to wait few seconds for
> it to start.

Do it like you do with Emacs, don't kill it.

(defun gnus-switch-to-group-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (if (gnus-alive-p)
      (switch-to-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
    (gnus) ))

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup, Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup, Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
       [not found] <47073.0785092869$1703954497@news.gmane.org>
@ 2023-12-31 23:27 ` James Thomas
       [not found] ` <30352.9598562577$1704252905@news.gmane.org>
From: James Thomas @ 2023-12-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Husain Alshehhi
  Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, Bartosz Kaczyński, info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> The command `gnus-no-server' will likely do what you want.

IIRC this will only stop the primary select method.

Bartosz Kaczyński wrote:

> the variable `gnus-check-new-newsgroups` might help you

In addition to setting this to nil, I also set the levels ('S l' in the
Group buffer) of all the groups to 7 to achieve this.

@ 2024-01-01  3:39   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2024-01-01  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net> writes:

> Husain Alshehhi wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to prevent gnus to get new news at startup time, and
>> only do it manually?
>
> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> The command `gnus-no-server' will likely do what you want.
>
> IIRC this will only stop the primary select method.

By default it will only activate groups at levels 1 and 2. In my case,
anyway, that only connects to the nndraft server.

@ 2024-01-02  0:48   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2024-01-02  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jan  1, 2024, James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net> wrote:

> In addition to setting this to nil, I also set the levels ('S l' in the
> Group buffer) of all the groups to 7 to achieve this.

Level 7 is considered "unsubscribed", so that might cause some issues.
Try level 3?

Dan

@ 2024-01-02  2:35     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2024-01-02  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> On Jan  1, 2024, James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> In addition to setting this to nil, I also set the levels ('S l' in the
>> Group buffer) of all the groups to 7 to achieve this.
>
> Level 7 is considered "unsubscribed", so that might cause some issues.
> Try level 3?

I've used this strategy for some years and level 5 works
perfectly for me.  When I want to read a level 5 group, I
position to the group and M-1 g does it "on demand."

Only my INBOX is level 1 (I fetch from gmail).

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU-Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
       [not found] <47073.0785092869$1703954497@news.gmane.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-01-03  3:34 ` Husain Alshehhi
       [not found] ` <30352.9598562577$1704252905@news.gmane.org>
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2024-01-03  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I might have spoken too soon. It appears that the issue is not with nntp
groups, but with nnrss. I ran the profile and saw the following:

        2999  73% - command-execute
        2641  64%  - funcall-interactively
        2637  64%   - gnus
        2637  64%    - gnus-1
        2626  63%     - #<compiled 0xffd5eb68ee5dbf1>
        2626  63%      - gnus-setup-news
        2622  63%       - gnus-get-unread-articles
        2403  58%        - gnus-read-active-for-groups
        1855  45%         - gnus-read-active-file-2
        1855  45%          - gnus-retrieve-groups
        1855  45%           - nnrss-retrieve-groups
        1652  40%            - nnrss-check-group
        1356  33%             - nnrss-fetch
        1288  31%              - xml-parse-region
        1288  31%               - xml--parse-buffer
        1288  31%                - xml-parse-tag-1
        1288  31%                 - xml-parse-tag-1
        1288  31%                  - xml-parse-tag-1
        1284  31%                   - xml-parse-tag-1
        1221  29%                    - xml-parse-tag-1
         153   3%                     - xml-parse-string
          15   0%                        #<compiled 0xa4190491901ef>
          16   0%              + mm-url-insert
         259   6%             + nnrss-make-hash-index
          15   0%             + nnrss-find-el
           4   0%               nnrss-translate-file-chars
           3   0%             + nnrss-get-namespace-prefix
         199   4%            + nnrss-possibly-change-group
         544  13%         - gnus-request-scan
         544  13%          - nnmaildir-request-scan
         541  13%           - nnmaildir--scan
         431  10%            - nnmaildir--grp-add-art
         401   9%             - nnmaildir--update-nov
         141   3%              + nnheader-insert-file-contents
           7   0%              + nnmaildir--param
          21   0%            + mapcar
           4   0%         + gnus-finish-retrieve-group-infos
         162   3%        + gnus-open-server
          40   0%        + gnus-request-update-info
          14   0%        + gnus-retrieve-group-data-early
           3   0%          gnus-message
           4   0%       + gnus-cache-open
           7   0%     + gnus-splash
           4   0%     + gnus-read-init-file
           4   0%   + execute-extended-command
         358   8%  + byte-code
        1107  26% - ...
        1107  26%    Automatic GC

It appears that much of the time was spent on fetching and parsing rss
feeds. I am using (setq nnrss-use-local t) which I expected to be much
faster, but that gnus is still very slow.

Some of you suggested to change the level of subscription to a higher
number. What are the implications of this change? I mainly am interested
in getting the list of new news of all subscribed groups about once a
day.

@ 2024-01-03 12:09   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2024-01-03 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tuesday,  2 Jan 2024 at 21:34, Husain Alshehhi wrote:
> I might have spoken too soon. It appears that the issue is not with nntp
> groups, but with nnrss. I ran the profile and saw the following:

Which is why I switched to elfeed for rss feeds.  I would prefer to use
gnus for everything (email, news, blogs) but the performance hit is too
high.  elfeed is very fast in comparison.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.2

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
@ 2024-01-03 15:23     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2024-01-03 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Tuesday,  2 Jan 2024 at 21:34, Husain Alshehhi wrote:
>> I might have spoken too soon. It appears that the issue is not with nntp
>> groups, but with nnrss. I ran the profile and saw the following:
>
> Which is why I switched to elfeed for rss feeds.  I would prefer to use
> gnus for everything (email, news, blogs) but the performance hit is too
> high.  elfeed is very fast in comparison.

There will be a newly-implemented backend for Atom landing in Gnus
before too long, and I think we're hoping to make it work for RSS as
well. I'll try to make sure that it does better with situations like
this. I also find nnrss too slow for practical use, and hope it's
something fixable.

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
@ 2024-01-03 16:06       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2024-01-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

That sounds great!  I look forward to trying it out.  Thank you.
--

@ 2024-01-07 10:22         ` Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2024-01-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: info-gnus-english

e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk 2024-01-06 15:56 [+0000]:
> My bad!  It's a customization I have in my .gnus.el file:

>   (defun esf/gnus-agent-plugged ()
>     (gnus-group-send-queue))
>   (add-hook 'gnus-agent-plugged-hook 'esf/gnus-agent-plugged)

> You could probably simply add 'gnus-group-send-queue to the hook without
> defining an extra function.

Tada! Many thanks ... again!

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
@ 2024-01-06 15:56       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2024-01-06 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2024-01-06  8:13     ` Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2024-01-06  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: info-gnus-english

[My previous message came from the wrong sender address. Apologies.]

e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk 2024-01-04 13:55 [+0000]:
> To avoid forgetting about queued emails, I have my queue group at level
> 1 and it's the first group in the Group buffer view.

Smart! Thanks! (I have that with other important folders, but it didn't
occur to me to put nndraft:queue there.)

> To manually send queued emails, it's "J S" and you don't have to be in
> the queue group for this: it works from the Group buffer.  But, for me,
> when I toggle to plugged status, all of my queued emails are sent.  If
> you wish to remain unplugged, J S will send them regardless.

Thanks again for "J S"!

@ 2024-01-04 13:55   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2024-01-04 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I do the same: starting unplugged.  This works well as I use nnml to
store my emails and have all nttp groups under control of the agent.

@ 2024-01-04 10:01 ` Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2024-01-04 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Husain Alshehhi; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hi!

husain@alshehhi.io 2023-12-30 10:41 [-0600]:
> When gnus starts (M-x gnus), it automatically get new news. This is a
> reasonable default. But when I start gnus multiple times to look up a
> message, I have to wait few seconds for it to start. Is there a way to
> prevent gnus to get new news at startup time, and only do it manually?

I usually start Gnus with M-x gnus-unplugged when I don't want to
contact any servers at startup.

The drawback is that once Gnus is up, it's important to run
gnus-agent-toggle-plugged (keys "J J") from the Groups menu. That will
put Gnus back in normal mode (without downloading new messages). If one
doesn't toggle back, Gnus will remain in off-line mode, which includes
just queueing outgoing mail in nndraft:queue, and they will _NOT_ be
sent automagically when one toggles back to on-line mode. One has to do
that manually (i.e., go to that folder an issue "D S"
(send-all-messages, or some such)), which is very easy to forget, in
which case one's messages will remain unsent until the dusk of eternity.
;-)

				Best regards,
				  /Liman

* Re: Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
@ 2023-12-30 17:06 ` Bartosz Kaczyński
From: Bartosz Kaczyński @ 2023-12-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Husain Alshehhi <husain@alshehhi.io> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> When gnus starts (M-x gnus), it automatically get new news. This is a
> reasonable default. But when I start gnus multiple times to look up a
> message, I have to wait few seconds for it to start. Is there a way to
> prevent gnus to get new news at startup time, and only do it manually?

the variable `gnus-check-new-newsgroups` might help you

regards,
bk

* Inhibiting gnus-get-new-news at startup
@ 2023-12-30 16:41 Husain Alshehhi