* Deactivating HTML articles for all but nnrss backends
@ 2007-06-02 16:41 Tobias Brink
From: Tobias Brink @ 2007-06-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

to deactivate rendering of HTML e-mails and articles I tried the
following two settings in my ~/.gnus.el:

1)
(setq mm-inline-override-types '("text/html"))

2)
(eval-after-load "mm-decode"
 '(progn
      (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/html")
      (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/richtext")))
(setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

which both work very well, except that Gnus also doesn't render
"articles" from RSS feeds any more.  Is there a possibility to make
Gnus render HTML only in these RSS feeds, as those are actually meant
to be used with HTML?

Thanks in advance,
Tobias

* Re: Deactivating HTML articles for all but nnrss backends
@ 2007-06-02 17:10 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-02 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:41:10 +0200, Tobias wrote:

> "articles" from RSS feeds any more.  Is there a possibility to make
> Gnus render HTML only in these RSS feeds, as those are actually meant
> to be used with HTML?

I use group parameters on my nnrss-groups to turn HTML-washing on for
the rss feeds that need it:

 ((gnus-treat-wash-html t))

  Best regards,

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Deactivating HTML articles for all but nnrss backends
@ 2007-06-03 16:50   ` Tobias Brink
From: Tobias Brink @ 2007-06-03 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:41:10 +0200, Tobias wrote:
>
>> "articles" from RSS feeds any more.  Is there a possibility to make
>> Gnus render HTML only in these RSS feeds, as those are actually meant
>> to be used with HTML?
>
> I use group parameters on my nnrss-groups to turn HTML-washing on for
> the rss feeds that need it:
>
>  ((gnus-treat-wash-html t))

First off, thanks for your answer.

Sadly the HTML-washing isn't quite as nice as the w3m-rendered view.
I also guess that I'd have to set the group parameter for every single
nnrss-group which is a bit tedious.

Is there a way to at least automatically set it for every group which
uses the nnrss backend?  It'd be very nice if I could reactivate the
w3m rendering for nnrss-groups, too.  Sorry if the answer is obvious
but I'm not an elisp or Gnus expert (yet).

@ 2007-06-03 17:40     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:50:54 +0200, Tobias wrote:

> Sadly the HTML-washing isn't quite as nice as the w3m-rendered view.

Ok; it is sufficient for me, so I have never looked into using w3m for
that

> I also guess that I'd have to set the group parameter for every single
> nnrss-group which is a bit tedious.

Maybe you can set it on a topic under which you keep all your HTML-ized
nnrss-groups?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2007-06-03 18:07     ` neimad
From: neimad @ 2007-06-03 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tobias Brink <tobias.brinkNOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
[...]
> Is there a way to at least automatically set it for every group which
> uses the nnrss backend?  It'd be very nice if I could reactivate the
> w3m rendering for nnrss-groups, too.  Sorry if the answer is obvious
> but I'm not an elisp or Gnus expert (yet).

No expert either, but the following may work, provided you replace
<...> with the variable settings you want:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (if (string-match "^nnrss:.*" gnus-newsgroup-name)
		 (progn
                   <...>))))

	Damien

* Re: Deactivating HTML articles for all but nnrss backends
@ 2007-06-04 10:53 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-04 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Is there a possibility to make Gnus render HTML only in these RSS
> feeds, as those are actually meant to be used with HTML?

Isn't this just what you look for? ;-)

(info "(gnus)RSS") <- type `C-x C-e' here.
,----
|    Even if you have added `"text/html"' to the
| `mm-discouraged-alternatives' variable (*note Display Customization:
| (emacs-mime)Display Customization.) since you don't want to see HTML
| parts, it might be more useful especially in `nnrss' groups to display
| `text/html' parts.  Here's an example of setting
| `mm-discouraged-alternatives' as a group parameter (*note Group
| Parameters::) in order to display `text/html' parts only in `nnrss'
| groups:
|
|      ;; Set the default value of `mm-discouraged-alternatives'.
|      (eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
|        '(add-to-list
|          'gnus-newsgroup-variables
|          '(mm-discouraged-alternatives
|            . '("text/html" "image/.*"))))
|
|      ;; Display `text/html' parts in `nnrss' groups.
|      (add-to-list
|       'gnus-parameters
|       '("\\`nnrss:" (mm-discouraged-alternatives nil)))
`----

* Re: Deactivating HTML articles for all but nnrss backends
@ 2007-06-04 11:25   ` Tobias Brink
From: Tobias Brink @ 2007-06-04 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Isn't this just what you look for? ;-)
>
> (info "(gnus)RSS") <- type `C-x C-e' here.
[snip useful info]

Yes, exactly.  Thank you.

Note to self: The manual that comes with emacs is more up-to-date than
the one at gnus.org.  I feel stupid.

Regards,
Tobias