* Duplicate groups (IMAP)
@ 2017-05-26 22:01 John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-05-26 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Gnus, but I think I'm beginning to understand
it. I have configured it to connect to my IMAP server, and
everything seems to work fine.

Here's the configuration, if it's relevant:
https://pastebin.com/raw/Nr3K3eXm

The only problem I have is that all IMAP folders seem to be
displaying twice:

       0: Archive
       0: Drafts
       0: INBOX
       0: Junk
       1: Lists
       0: Sent
       0: Trash
       0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Archive
       0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Drafts
       0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:INBOX
       0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Junk
       4: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Lists
       0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Sent
       0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Trash
       0: nndraft:drafts
       0: nndraft:queue

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong? I
suppose I could simply unsubscribe to one version, but it feels
like there's something wrong.

Thank you in advance!

- John

* Re: Duplicate groups (IMAP)
@ 2017-05-26 23:41 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-05-26 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John writes:

> Here's the configuration, if it's relevant:
> https://pastebin.com/raw/Nr3K3eXm

I usually prefer to have all my servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods
and setting gnus-select-method to '(nnnil).

This way all groups have their type and servername prefixed, and no
server is special.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but...

                                 · ⌛ ·

I might guess that what happens with your configuration is that Gnus
thinks you have two servers, the one in your gnus-select-method and the
other defined by your nnmail-expiry-target/gnus-message-archive-method.

You could check this by going to the server buffer (type ^ in the
*Group* buffer, exit by typing q), and seeing how many servers are
listed.

If that is the cause, then my suggestion should fix the problem. I think.

Also, your nnmail-expiry-target has nnimap+my-domain.com, the two other
have mail.my-domain.com. If that isn't a typo, I think it should/will
cause problems.

                                 · ⌛ ·

Ok, I just tested it, and I'm pretty sure this is your problem. I would
suggest trying changing your configuration to:

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

  (setq my-server '(nnimap "my-domain"
                           (nnimap-address "mail.my-domain.com")
                           (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
                           (nnimap-stream ssl)))

  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods `(,my-server))

  (setq nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+my-domain:Trash"
        nnmail-expiry-wait   'immediate)

  (setq send-mail-function    'smtpmail-send-it
        smtpmail-smtp-server  "mail.my-domain.com"
        smtpmail-stream-type  'starttls
        smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

  (setq gnus-message-archive-method my-server
        gnus-message-archive-group "Sent")

  (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Archbishop of anarchy"                                      Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Duplicate groups (IMAP)
@ 2017-05-27  7:27 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-05-27  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

john@ankarstrom.se (John Ankarström) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to Gnus, but I think I'm beginning to understand
> it. I have configured it to connect to my IMAP server, and
> everything seems to work fine.
>
> Here's the configuration, if it's relevant:
> https://pastebin.com/raw/Nr3K3eXm
>
> The only problem I have is that all IMAP folders seem to be
> displaying twice:
>
>        0: Archive
>        0: Drafts
>        0: INBOX
>        0: Junk
>        1: Lists
>        0: Sent
>        0: Trash
>        0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Archive
>        0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Drafts
>        0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:INBOX
>        0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Junk
>        4: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Lists
>        0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Sent
>        0: nnimap+mail.my-domain.com:Trash
>        0: nndraft:drafts
>        0: nndraft:queue

Are you totally sure these are the same groups? The "List" group, for
instance, seems to have different unread counts.

Try looking at the server buffer ("^"), and just checking that you've
only got the backend added once, and that when you hit RET on the
backend line, the listed groups are all what they ought to be. That
might provide some insight (but then again, might not!).

Eric

* Re: Duplicate groups (IMAP)
@ 2017-05-27  7:41   ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-05-27  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Also, your nnmail-expiry-target has nnimap+my-domain.com, the two other
> have mail.my-domain.com. If that isn't a typo, I think it should/will
> cause problems.

That was it! I had two servers in the server list: my-domain.com
and mail.my-domain.com. I didn't realize Gnus was being so smart
about adding servers. I still have a lot to learn.

> Ok, I just tested it, and I'm pretty sure this is your problem. I would
> suggest trying changing your configuration to:

I tried your settings, adjusted them a little and now they work
perfectly. Thank you.

>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods `(,my-server))

I did change this to (list (my-server)) - I guess there's no
performance difference (right?), but a matter of taste :-)

Again, thank you so much for your very thought-out and
comprehensive reply!

- John

* Re: Duplicate groups (IMAP)
@ 2017-05-27 14:41     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-05-27 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John writes:

>>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods `(,my-server))

> I did change this to (list (my-server)) - I guess there's no
> performance difference (right?), but a matter of taste :-)

I think so, I just wanted to have the definition only once, to avoid
them to get out of sync, and that was how I could figure out to do so :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Lines do not converge toward any point on the               Adam Sjøgren
  horizon! All spatial relationships are lost!"          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Duplicate groups (IMAP)
@ 2017-05-27 15:07       ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-05-27 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> I think so, I just wanted to have the definition only once, to avoid
> them to get out of sync, and that was how I could figure out to do so :-)

Right, and it is a very nice way of making sure the server is
only defined once :-)

Thanks again -- John