* Re: Gathering certain emails from across groups in one; labels
       [not found] <87isa1ta97.fsf@koldfront.dk>
       [not found] ` <m3r7oo5j13.fsf@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2004-09-27 15:18 ` David Hanak
       [not found] ` <4n7jqfodkz.fsf@lifelogs.com>
From: David Hanak @ 2004-09-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> What pieces of the puzzle do I have?
>
> First, I need to label the emails that belong to a topic. Ahh, I can
> just edit the emails and add a Keywords:-header¹.
>
> Then I need to gather those emails in one group somehow. Hmm,
> nnvirtual gathers all emails from groups whose names match a regexp.
> Oh, and with limiting I can see a subset of those!

The first step is simple enough.  For the second step, I would rather
use an indexing engine such as namazu, and nnir to search in the index.
You can tell namazu to index the Keyword header, and then you can
specify search strings such as "+keyword:<yourlabel>" to nnir (included
in recent Gnus versions) and get the result set in a few seconds.  Of
course you have to schedule the indexer to run regularly, but that's OK,
namazu has an incremental index builder so rerunning it is really quick.

How does that sound?

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu

@ 2004-09-27 17:39   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-09-27 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:56:28 -0400, Ted wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, asjo@koldfront.dk wrote:
>> If I could label email and have a special group display all the
>> emails with a given label, the problem would be solved.

> I think this was asked on the ding list fairly recently (not the
> "labeling groups" discussion, but labeling messages).

Ah, I think I saw that, but at the time I skipped the article because
it seemed a little over-my-headdish.

I will look into it. Thanks!

> Anyhow, the registry will give you all the message IDs for a label,
> and tell you the group(s) for each message ID. You can find the
> messages easily that way and make copies of them or whatever else
> you need to do. So all you need to do is define a label "extra data"
> entry for the registry and use it.

Cool. (I need to be able to create a group and have them displayed in
it automatically, that's it basically - besides labelling the
messages¹).

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ Well, extra bonus will be awarded if the entire thread is put into
  the group if at least one message in the thread has the label, but
  that's not a requirement as I start out.

--
 "That's 'Doctor Destiny, _sir_' to you."                     Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2004-09-27 14:11   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-09-27 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Sep 2004 15:21:28 +0900, Alexandre wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> If I could label email and have a special group display all the
>> emails with a given label, the problem would be solved.

> It is probably very simplistic but why don't you create a
> subdirectory such as ./Mail/keyword then save or copy the
> corresponding mail in this directory?

That would be efficient.

It does have some drawbacks:

 * Ticking/caching¹ will be separate for the original email and the
   copies in the label-groups

 * Marks of other kinds will be separate (the "A"nswered possibly
   being quite important to the user/me :-))

 * It is not easy to see what other labels the email you're reading
   has.

 * It is slightly more work to add an email to several labels (copy
   several times)

 * It is more work to change the labels under which an email is filed
   (instead of editing one email, I need to find all the copies and
    delete the ones that aren't relevant).

There are probably other things I haven't thought of (good and bad).

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ I often abuse caching for adding emphasis to my normal ticking of an
  article, so "! Blah blah" is an email I need to handle at some
  point, while "!* Bleh bleh" is an email I need to handle soon.

--
 "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent          Adam Sjøgren
  life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none     asjo@koldfront.dk