* Re: Can Gnus talk to Exchange?
       [not found] <86ismjinbd.fsf@slowfox.dyndns.org>
@ 2003-10-21  0:31 ` Erik Arneson
From: Erik Arneson @ 2003-10-21  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-Oct-2003, Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote:
> At work, I have Outlook which talks to an Exchange server.  You can
> guess that I wanted to use Gnus.  And I even found the host name of
> the server in the preferences somewhere, and I telneted to its port
> 143, and it seems to answer.  Good, you think.  Alas, I don't know how
> to log in.  I tried my Windows user name and password (I think I have
> a domain login and not a local login -- how can I find out?), but no
> go.

After connecting, send the string ". CAPABILITY" and take a look at the
various "AUTH=" strings it returns.  Those will tell you how to
authenticate to the server.

They may be using an Active Directory server, in which case you may see
"AUTH=GSSAPI".  In that case, you will need to use the Cyrus imtest
program and find some way to get your Active Directory kerberos ticket.

Outlook should somewhere have all the information you need.  Have you
tried a packet sniffer to see what kind of AUTH string it sends the IMAP
server?

--
;; Erik Arneson <spam@erik.aarg.net> AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C             <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;

@ 2003-10-21  7:25 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2003-10-21  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kai Grossjohann (2003-10-20) writes:

> At work, I have Outlook which talks to an Exchange server.  You can
> guess that I wanted to use Gnus.  And I even found the host name of
> the server in the preferences somewhere, and I telneted to its port
> 143, and it seems to answer.  Good, you think.  Alas, I don't know how
> to log in.  I tried my Windows user name and password (I think I have
> a domain login and not a local login -- how can I find out?), but no
> go.

In case you have a domain login that should do it.  I am using Gnus
happily with the IMAP interface of our Exchange server over an
encrypted connection.

All I have in my .gnus regarding the connection settings is this:

,----[ .gnus ]
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|       '((nnimap "<freely choosable name>"
|                 (nnimap-address "<ip adress of server>")
|                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
|                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "<path/to/authinfo-file>"))))
`----

In the authinfo file there is only one line:

,----[ .imap-authinfo ]
`----

In case you don't have the authinfo file Gnus asks for the user name
and password.

HTH,
Ralf

@ 2003-10-21 16:50 ` Dan Katz
From: Dan Katz @ 2003-10-21 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Oct 2003, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> At work, I have Outlook which talks to an Exchange server.  You can
> guess that I wanted to use Gnus.  And I even found the host name of
> the server in the preferences somewhere, and I telneted to its port
> 143, and it seems to answer.  Good, you think.  Alas, I don't know
> how to log in.  I tried my Windows user name and password (I think I
> have a domain login and not a local login -- how can I find out?),
> but no go.
>
> The admins aren't willing to help, but if I get it working without
> their help, they won't mind it seems...
>
> Maybe it's as simple as using "myusername@myhostname" as the login,
> or suchlike.

I think it is.

We work with a system like this too.  Exchange has an IMAP option (I
don't know if it's turned on by default or not) which will allow you
to connect via nnimap.  In my case, my .gnus.el has the moral
equivalent of

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "your.mail.host"))

and my .authinfo has something like

machine your.mail.host login you password your_password

I also do a fair bit of splitting on that system, which sets up the
IMAP folders properly.  The only problem I have is that if I ever open
Outlook again then it tries to do its own "reading" of the mail in the
INBOX which makes gnus unable to split the stuff properly later.  In
short, I use gnus and only gnus and make sure never to open Outlook.
This can be a pain if your workplace uses Exchange heavily for
calendaring work and doesn't use (or have) the iCal compliant version
of the calendaring interface.

Dan

* Re: Can Gnus talk to Exchange?
@ 2003-10-21 19:02   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-10-21 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Erik> After connecting, send the string ". CAPABILITY" and take a
    Erik> look at the various "AUTH=" strings it returns.  Those will
    Erik> tell you how to authenticate to the server.

I would like to get this working as well... In my case: "AUTH=NTLM"

It doesn't appear that gnus supports ntlm although according to this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&selm=smoaileu.fsf%40kathrynhuxtable.org

It should be in cvs (which I'm using).  But a grep on the gnus tree
yielded no results.

Is it possible to get gnus->exchange working in the case of ntlm only
authentication ?

Thanks.

* Re: Can Gnus talk to Exchange?
@ 2003-10-21 20:35   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-21 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Katz <dkatz@profitlogic.com> writes:

> On 20 Oct 2003, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's as simple as using "myusername@myhostname" as the login,
>> or suchlike.
>
> I think it is.

Well, you tried to use the Windows login/password combination, which
I also tried.  It failed for me.  So it must be something else.

I got the suggestion to try "domain\user" (with a backslash), and
also "domain/shortuser/long.name" where I don't know how to find out
the "doma" and "long.name" parts.

Hm.  Isn't there the concept of a "work group" in Windows?  Maybe
that's also the domain I log into.

As you can see, I know too little about things that can help me find
out about settings in Windows.

Kai

* Re: Can Gnus talk to Exchange?
@ 2003-10-22 10:57     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-22 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<86u162nxbv.fsf@slowfox.dyndns.org>...

> I got the suggestion to try "domain\user" (with a backslash), and
> also "domain/shortuser/long.name" where I don't know how to find out
> the "doma" and "long.name" parts.

Found it!  The hint that the domain is shown in the login window was a
good one.  Another thing I got wrong was the order: I had the domain
in the middle.  Stupid me.

Quite fascinating, really.

It seems that the normal plain login procedure also works for
AUTH=NTLM.

I also have a Calendar (or similar, mine has a German name) group, but
the messages in it don't reveal anything about the dates.  A pity.

Kai