* reading message/rfc822 on android gmail (possible repost)
@ 2016-10-04 16:56 serpentplayer
From: serpentplayer @ 2016-10-04 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

One of the people I email frequently usually reads her email on an old
android laptop. (4.4.2).  When I send her a forwarded email, she can't
see the attachment.

Gnus (5.11 as packaged on ubuntu 14.04LTS) is sending forwarded mail as
mime type message/rfc822 inline.  If I edit the message to make it
"attached" instead of "inline", she can see it.

Is there a workaround for this problem?  I assume it's a bug in gmail,
which has been fixed in later versions, since I can't reproduce it
either on my Android 5.x tablet or my Android 6.x phone.

I was thinking there might be either something to tell her about how to
view her mail on android 4.x, or a way to configure gnus to send
forwarded mail as "attached".

* Re: reading message/rfc822 on android gmail (possible repost)
@ 2016-10-04 17:15 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-10-04 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

serpentplayer@gmail.com writes:

> One of the people I email frequently usually reads her email on an old
> android laptop. (4.4.2).  When I send her a forwarded email, she can't
> see the attachment.
>
> Gnus (5.11 as packaged on ubuntu 14.04LTS) is sending forwarded mail as
> mime type message/rfc822 inline.  If I edit the message to make it
> "attached" instead of "inline", she can see it.
>
> Is there a workaround for this problem?

One thing you can do is to change the value of the variable
message-forward-as-mime:

,----[ C-h v message-forward-as-mime RET ]
| message-forward-as-mime is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is nil
| Original value was t
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means forward messages as an inline/rfc822 MIME section.
| Otherwise, directly inline the old message in the forwarded message.
`----

as you can see, I have changed it to nil, so people using Microsoft
Outlook can see the text of the email directly included, instead of
having to click on an attachment (which is hard for some people in my
"environment").

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "If this is not what you expected, please alter your         Adam Sjøgren
  expectations."                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: reading message/rfc822 on android gmail (possible repost)
@ 2016-10-05 12:34 ` serpentplayer
From: serpentplayer @ 2016-10-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I spend some time yesterday playing with her laptop, and it turns out that the gmail app sees the forwarded mail.  She usually uses the firefox browser pointed at gmail.com, but she's willing to open the emails she can't see that way in the gmail app.