* Pulling from multiple servers/authinfo
@ 2003-12-04  7:15 Max Quordlepleen
       [not found] ` <hhbrqp6nqh.fsf@ossh.com>
       [not found] ` <m3y8ts7vza.fsf@fed1.frank-schmitt.net>
From: Max Quordlepleen @ 2003-12-04  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In W2K, I use GNUs/Xemacs in conjunction with Hamster, so have never
had to setup up GNUs to pull from multiple servers. What lines do I
need to add to my .gnus to pull from more than one server?

Also, for my W2K installation, I have the following line in my .gnus:

(add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo)

and a file called authinfo that contains this:

machine 127.0.0.1 username password

but I still get asked for my username and password each time I start
up GNUs. What have I done wrong?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Pulling from multiple servers/authinfo
       [not found] ` <hhbrqp6nqh.fsf@ossh.com>
@ 2003-12-04  7:53   ` Max Quordlepleen
From: Max Quordlepleen @ 2003-12-04  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Louis <usenet26@ossh.com> writes:

> Make sure you've defined $HOME in your windows environment.

Yes, that's already done

> my ~/.authinfo
> machine news.west.earthlink.net login USERNAME password PASSWORD

Aah, I think that might be the problem - should the words "login" and
"password" be included in the authinfo? I've only included the values

> I also have the following inside ~/.gnus (setq gnus-select-method
> '(nntp "news.west.earthlink.net"))

Yes, I have the equivalent line in my .gnus "(nntp "127.0.0.1")"

* Re: Pulling from multiple servers/authinfo
       [not found]     ` <hhwu9c5eqc.fsf@ossh.com>
@ 2003-12-05  1:08       ` Max Quordlepleen
From: Max Quordlepleen @ 2003-12-05  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Louis <usenet26@ossh.com> writes:

> Have you typed ' A A ' to generate and download an active newsgroup
> file from your NNTP server(s)?
>
> Shift A Shift A RET
>
> Give it a minute or two and you should see a huge list from one or
> both of the nntp servers you've listed in your ~/.gnus file.

Excellent! That worked a treat, thanks.