* Advice what to use for html rendering (rss).
@ 2005-04-11 20:33 Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-11 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I'm just playing around with rss feeds, and apparently my emacs
currently renders them with html2text. Especially, I can't follow any
links.

Looking around for alternatives like w3, I found it's not very clear
whether that package is still maintained, by whom, and where best to
download it.

I'd hence highly appreciate any input on what package you found to
work best (e.g. with Emacs CVS), and where to obtain a current
version.

Thanks a lot, Bruno.

* Re: Advice what to use for html rendering (rss).
@ 2005-04-11 20:43 ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-04-11 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 11 avr 2005, Bruno Hertz a dit :

> Looking around for alternatives like w3, I found it's not very clear
> whether that package is still maintained, by whom, and where best to
> download it.
>
> I'd hence highly appreciate any input on what package you found to
> work best (e.g. with Emacs CVS), and where to obtain a current
> version.

You should  take a look to emacs-w3m  (http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/) that is
(imo) a good alternative to w3 and is currently developed.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Advice what to use for html rendering (rss).
@ 2005-04-11 21:30   ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-11 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> Le 11 avr 2005, Bruno Hertz a dit :
>
>> Looking around for alternatives like w3, I found it's not very clear
>> whether that package is still maintained, by whom, and where best to
>> download it.
>>
>> I'd hence highly appreciate any input on what package you found to
>> work best (e.g. with Emacs CVS), and where to obtain a current
>> version.
>
> You should  take a look to emacs-w3m  (http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/) that is
> (imo) a good alternative to w3 and is currently developed.

Great! Just installed it, and it comes out very nice. Especially the
rendered pages look really good, and are displayed without hiding the
summary buffer.

Very pleasing especially compared to w3 CVS, which I tried right
before this one, and which gave me errors I couldn't fix, presumably
related to bad compilation. Anyways, w3m goes smooth enough ...

Many thanks, Bruno.

* Re: Advice what to use for html rendering (rss).
@ 2005-04-12  4:15 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2005-04-12  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

w3m (http://w3m.sourceforge.net) + emacs-w3m
(http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org)
Trust most users use them now.

Most GNU/Linux distribution has the package. Or you can build them
by yourself.

HTH,

CG

* Re: Advice what to use for html rendering (rss).
@ 2005-04-12  8:34   ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> w3m (http://w3m.sourceforge.net) + emacs-w3m
> (http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org)
> Trust most users use them now.
>
> Most GNU/Linux distribution has the package. Or you can build them
> by yourself.

I'm using it right now, thanks very much.

Seemed a bit heavy weight first time, but after turning off tabs and
some of the fancy form stuff, and using the less intrusive info
keybindings rather than lynx, I start feeling comfortable with it ...

Regards, Bruno.