* Re: New Gnus user
       [not found] <87smk0ybxr.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
@ 2003-12-05  1:56 ` Kurt B. Kaiser
From: Kurt B. Kaiser @ 2003-12-05  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

> I had some problems managing lot and lot of mail (but maybe I do it
> wrong). Do you think (be honest) that Gnus is better for that?
>
> Can someone give the main advantages/ defeacts between Gnus and Mew

Gnus is pretty open-ended.  If you want to do complicated things, it's
unbeatable.  In my case:

Mail comes into shore.net, and my procmail there strips off my
whitelist and my mail lists into IMAP groups.  It then filtered the
rest for spam keywords and repeat offenders and fed the output to a
MailToRead group.  Gnus accesses this account and splits it into
further groups.

That became insufficient lately :-)  Shore doesn't have *any* spam
filters, so now my procmail ships the output to another account which
runs virus checks and spamassassin and provides IMAP webmail if I
need it.

Gnus is looking at both the shore.net account and the other IMAP
account.  It does splitting on the latter into about five groups and
manages the spamassassin Junk (7 day expunge) and Trash (1 day
expunge).  If anything actually gets through all this, I have my
scoring all set up (from the previous configuration) so F5 scores it
down and moves to the next article.  If they make it to the bottom of
my 30 day score file, they get added to the procmail blacklist. (But I
don't think that is going to get used much anymore.)

I'm dealing with about 30 mail groups including mail, lists,
newsgroups, and local groups.  I subscribe and unsubscribe as
needed. The local groups hold archives and lists that I want to save
because they aren't archived on the internet. In those cases I have
set the groups on shore.net to expire to a local group on my computer
instead of "delete", and they download automagically.

Gnus handles the whole mess seamlessly with one display of typically
10 groups of unread items coming from three news sources and two
mail sources.

On the other hand, I've got my wife using it.  She was using emacs for
editing magazine articles and books and was using Hotmail webmail.  We
wanted to get away from that, so I tried her on Opera 7.  The first
thing that came up was "there's no spell checker!!"  Since she thinks
aspell is the greatest, I said, "Why not?" and set her up with Gnus
and a 10 line cheatsheet.  This is working great.  C-c c brings up the
emacs/gnus cheatsheet, C-c m starts gnus, and C-c a opens her .mailrc.
Middleclick on a url starts Opera.  She doesn't even know what Usenet
is.

--
KBK

* Re: New Gnus user
@ 2003-12-05 10:59   ` Arnaud Vandyck
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-12-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

kbk@shore.net (Kurt B. Kaiser) writes:

> Gnus is pretty open-ended.  If you want to do complicated things, it's
> unbeatable.  In my case:

[...]

Whouw!

> The local groups hold archives and lists that I want to save because
> they aren't archived on the internet. In those cases I have set the
> groups on shore.net to expire to a local group on my computer instead
> of "delete", and they download automagically.

I think I got to make an archive group? 'G a'

> Gnus handles the whole mess seamlessly with one display of typically
> 10 groups of unread items coming from three news sources and two
> mail sources.

That's why I find it usefull! Mew is really cool and can refile mails a
good way, but you don't know which folder has unread mails :'(

[...]

> "Why not?" and set her up with Gnus and a 10 line cheatsheet.  This is
> working great.  C-c c brings up the emacs/gnus cheatsheet

You mean just a simple text file and a bindkey to open it? Great :-D

--
Arnaud

* Re: New Gnus user
@ 2003-12-05 16:46     ` Kurt B. Kaiser
From: Kurt B. Kaiser @ 2003-12-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

>> In those cases I have set the groups on shore.net to expire to a
>> local group on my computer instead of "delete", and they download
>> automagically.
>
> I think I got to make an archive group? 'G a'

G c the group and set up "Expiry target".  I usually use nnml groups as
targets.

[...]

>> C-c c brings up the emacs/gnus cheatsheet
>
> You mean just a simple text file and a bindkey to open it? Great :-D

Yes.  And C-c s runs aspell when Gnus isn't running; it is rebound to
ispell-message in Message mode.

--
KBK

* Re: New Gnus User
       [not found] <87ps0716oj.fsf@pcrob156.lirmm.fr>
@ 2007-09-26 12:02 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-09-26 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:38:04 +0200 noce@lirmm.fr (Aurélien Noce) wrote:

AN> That's why I hope some emacs' gurus from here may help :)

Gnus questions can also be asked on the Gnus newsgroup mentioned by
thorne (I added it to the group list for this thread), or to the Ding
mailing list <ding@gnus.org>.  Make sure you specify the version of Gnus
you are using.

AN> - I'm accessing an IMAP account via nnimap and it works well, except
AN>   that it fetched headers every time I connect. Is there a way to
AN>   cache the headers once for all (and cache the headers only, not the
AN>   full mailbox via nnml) ?

I think any IMAP folder will require at least some header examination in
order to be used (you have to list the articles somehow).  If it's
excessive, this may be a Gnus Agent problem; try turning the Gnus Agent
off for your IMAP account and make sure you follow up with your findings.

AN> - Is there a way to access a POP accounts remotely, I mean without
AN>   fetching all the mails locally via fetchmail or gnus ? I know POP is
AN>   not intended to be used like that, but I also now that many other
AN>   email client provide a way to do it... (ideally I would love to use
AN>   the POP account "as an IMAP one", and with the "caching headers"
AN>   features I mentioned earlier).

I believe Gnus only allows you to use POP as a mail source.  This is a
pretty common question from Gmail users, so you may want to search for
previous discussions about Gnus and Gmail for hints.

Ted