* Does gnus-uu-post-encoded chooses primary backend?
@ 2005-04-05 16:29 Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-05 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I'm just working my way through the Gnus manual and playing around with
stuff, and one thing I've never done before is posting uuencoded articles,
so I thought I might check that out as well.

Now, all works alright save one issue, i.e. when I do S u in the summary group
of a secondary select backend, compose my article, insert file and then send,
Gnus tries to post the encoded parts to the primary server anyway. Is this
expected behavior? I found no variable to fix this, so I presume it's a bug ...

Thanks, Bruno.

Emacs CVS, Gnus v5.11

* Re: Does gnus-uu-post-encoded chooses primary backend?
@ 2005-04-05 17:17 ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruno Hertz" <spammer.go.home@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I'm just working my way through the Gnus manual and playing around with
> stuff, and one thing I've never done before is posting uuencoded articles,
> so I thought I might check that out as well.
>
> Now, all works alright save one issue, i.e. when I do S u in the summary group
> of a secondary select backend, compose my article, insert file and then send,
> Gnus tries to post the encoded parts to the primary server anyway. Is this
> expected behavior? I found no variable to fix this, so I presume it's a bug ...

Ahem, now this is mysterious. I just changed my primary server - to see how
that goes either, while at it - but gnus-uu-post-encoded still posts to that
server, which is now part of the secondary select methods. The summary buffer
from which I posted was a group from my now different primary server, though.

Now, this is really strange. Any advice on how to debug this (increase
verbosity by turning some variable on or something)?

Thanks, Bruno.

* Re: Does gnus-uu-post-encoded chooses primary backend?
@ 2005-04-05 18:07   ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-05 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruno Hertz" <spammer.go.home@gmail.com> writes:

> "Bruno Hertz" <spammer.go.home@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm just working my way through the Gnus manual and playing around with
>> stuff, and one thing I've never done before is posting uuencoded articles,
>> so I thought I might check that out as well.
>>
>> Now, all works alright save one issue, i.e. when I do S u in the summary group
>> of a secondary select backend, compose my article, insert file and then send,
>> Gnus tries to post the encoded parts to the primary server anyway. Is this
>> expected behavior? I found no variable to fix this, so I presume it's a bug ...
>>

> Ahem, now this is mysterious. I just changed my primary server - to see how
> that goes either, while at it - but gnus-uu-post-encoded still posts to that
> server, which is now part of the secondary select methods. The summary buffer
> from which I posted was a group from my now different primary server, though.
>
> Now, this is really strange. Any advice on how to debug this (increase
> verbosity by turning some variable on or something)?

OK, fixed, sorry for the noise. message-post-method was still initialized to
my former primary server from /etc/news/server (Debian Sarge). Still don't
know, where exactly this happens, though. Anyway, with this in mind, the
behavior described is understandable, although I think that uuencoded parts
should be sent to the current group and server, and not to the default server
set there. If somebody feels I miss something, please feel free to educate me.

Thanks, Bruno.