* Re: Active links in Gnus?
       [not found] ` <v9ekwj51j7.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-11-08  0:16   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-08  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 07 2003, Tim McNamara wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to make URLs clickable in Gnus
>
> In Gnus 5.10, URLs are clickable by default, and IIRC this is true
> for Gnus 5.9, too (see the variable `gnus-button-url-regexp').

Huh.  Well, I guess I've never thought to try, given that URLs aren't
highlighted or underlined in my rednition of Gnus (5.9, I think-
whatever came with the Carbonized version of Emacs).  And of course
there have been no URLs given in any of theposts I've read this
session.  But I'll give it a try when the opportunity arises.

> > and to pass the URL to my browser?  (This is using either the
> > Carbonized OS X version or the X11 version).
>
> Customize `browse-url-browser-function'.  I don't know _what_ you
> should use, though.

Meaning which browser, or what syntax to use ot send the URL to the
browser?

Thanks!!

* Re: Active links in Gnus?
@ 2003-11-08 12:05     ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]       ` <m2fzgyg46n.fsf@localhost.bitstream.net>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 08 2003, Tim McNamara wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Huh.  Well, I guess I've never thought to try, given that URLs aren't
> highlighted or underlined in my rednition of Gnus (5.9, I think-
> whatever came with the Carbonized version of Emacs).

Yes, it 5.9 as your "User-Agent" header shows: "User-Agent: Gnus/5.09
(Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.1.30".  I checked with Gnus 5.9, it should work
there, too.

> And of course there have been no URLs given in any of theposts I've
> read this session.  But I'll give it a try when the opportunity
> arises.

See my signature (or here: <URL:http://www.gnus.org>).  Using the
default settings, it should appear in bold face.  When you put the
cursor on it, it will turn into light-green and a tool-tip "Follow the
link" pops up.  Follow the link with mouse-2 (i.e. middle mouse
usually) or by putting the cursor on the link and hit RET.

[ In the Carbonized OS X version or the X11 version ]
>> Customize `browse-url-browser-function'.  I don't know _what_ you
>> should use, though.
>
> Meaning which browser, or what syntax to use ot send the URL to the
> browser?

Yes.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Active links in Gnus?
@ 2003-11-08 15:48     ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-11-08 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tim,

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
> Meaning which browser, or what syntax to use ot send the URL to the
> browser?

The easiest should be to use the Mac OS X "open" command here, which
will transfer to your favorite browser automatically.

Some people may view this as a security hole, because "open" will
start *any* document reference, even execute programs.  It should be
as safe as your browser itself in this particular context, but who
knows...

benny

* Re: Active links in Gnus?
       [not found]         ` <v9llqqkapj.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-11-08 18:34           ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nobody

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 08 2003, Tim McNamara wrote:

> If you're using this versions, you should definitively consider
> upgrading.

Yah.  I didn't realize this version was that much older than the Aqua
version I also have!

> > How does Emacs/Gnus know which program to forward the URL to?
>
> Emacs checks the variable `browse-url-browser-function', see `C-h v
> browse-url-browser-function RET'.  Depending on your Emacs version
> it will offer Mozilla directly or you may have to use
> `browse-url-generic-program'.
>
> > Is this information in a .conf file somewhere?
>
> Put something like this your ~/.emacs [1] file:
>
> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)
> (setq browse-url-generic-program "mozilla")

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  My .emacs is probably still pretty
minimalist compared to more experienced users, I suspect.

Thanks again!