* rss is failing with some feeds
@ 2008-06-15 19:45 rahed
       [not found] ` <mailman.13362.1213572429.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2008-06-15 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I cannot fetch some rss feeds. For instance I get:

nnrss: Failed to fetch http://planet.perl.org/rss20.xml
XML-RPC is not available... not checking Syndic8.
gnus-group-make-rss-group: No feeds found for http://planet.perl.org/rss20.xml

I set mm-url-use-external to t and have mm-url-program to wget.
The same when mm-url-use-external is nil.

Can you help?

--
Radek

* Re: rss is failing with some feeds
@ 2008-06-15 23:26 ` David
       [not found] ` <mailman.13362.1213572429.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-06-15 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:
> I cannot fetch some rss feeds. For instance I get:
>
> nnrss: Failed to fetch http://planet.perl.org/rss20.xml
> XML-RPC is not available... not checking Syndic8.
> gnus-group-make-rss-group: No feeds found for http://planet.perl.org/rss20.xml
>
> I set mm-url-use-external to t and have mm-url-program to wget.
> The same when mm-url-use-external is nil.

It doesn't work because this is actually a Feedburner feed, which is
giving you Atom instead of RSS. The URL might tell you something
different, but whoever set up this feed obviously chose to use
Feedburner's "SmartFeed (TM)", which again uses a terribly intelligent
mechanism to determine if your reader supports Atom or not. You see how
well this works.

Try using

(setq mm-url-use-external t)
(setq mm-url-program "lynx")
(setq mm-url-arguments '("-source" "-useragent" "Drupal"))

-David

@ 2008-06-16  7:22   ` rahed
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13395.1213626413.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: rahed @ 2008-06-16  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:

> Try using
>
> (setq mm-url-use-external t)
> (setq mm-url-program "lynx")
> (setq mm-url-arguments '("-source" "-useragent" "Drupal"))

Tried but with the same effect.
I'm on windows and installed lynx which is functional.

--

@ 2008-06-16 14:26     ` David
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13395.1213626413.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-06-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:
> David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:
>
>> Try using
>>
>> (setq mm-url-use-external t)
>> (setq mm-url-program "lynx")
>> (setq mm-url-arguments '("-source" "-useragent" "Drupal"))
>
> Tried but with the same effect.
> I'm on windows and installed lynx which is functional.

Make sure you use the string "lynx", not the symbol 'lynx. Maybe you
also have to specify the full path of the executable. Alternatively, you
could also try it with wget:

(setq mm-url-use-external t)
; Make sure you don't use 'wget. Maybe you also have to use full path here:
(setq mm-url-program "wget")
(setq mm-url-arguments '("--user-agent=Drupal" "-q" "-O" "-"))

-David

@ 2008-06-17  7:39       ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2008-06-17  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:

> Make sure you use the string "lynx", not the symbol 'lynx. Maybe you
> also have to specify the full path of the executable. Alternatively, you
> could also try it with wget:
>
> (setq mm-url-use-external t)
> ; Make sure you don't use 'wget. Maybe you also have to use full path here:
> (setq mm-url-program "wget")
> (setq mm-url-arguments '("--user-agent=Drupal" "-q" "-O" "-"))

wget is functional, thank you much.
lynx not.

--
Radek