* spam elisp with spam-stat
@ 2004-01-29 17:21 David Hanak
       [not found] ` <87hdyeh92z.fsf@everett.mit.edu>
From: David Hanak @ 2004-01-29 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to set up the spam.el package with spam-stat, and although I
read the info pages and function and variable documentations several times,
I admit that I'm confused and lost among the numerous variables.

I'd like to have a very simple setup: I have one spam group (called spam),
all the other groups are ham.  When I exit a group, I want

1, all new articles marked as spam processed by the spam-stat spam
   processor (and moved to the spam group if we are in a ham group)
2, all new articles marked as ham processed by the spam-stat ham processor
   (and moved to a default ham group if we are in the spam group)

For this, I have the following .gnus setup (I use Gnus from the CVS and
update regularly):

(setq spam-use-stat t
      spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group t
      gnus-spam-process-destinations '((".*" "spam"))
      gnus-ham-process-destinations '((".*" "misc"))
      gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents
                '(("spam" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
                  (".*" gnus-group-spam-classification-ham))
      spam-split-group "spam")
(spam-initialize)

(setq gnus-parameters
      '((".*"
         (spam-process ((spam spam-use-stat)
                        (ham spam-use-stat))))))

My problem is that spam-stat doesn't seem to be learning new articles, so
it's probably gnus-parameters which is wrong.  (The classification of the
groups is OK, I checked it by calling gnus-parameter-spam-contents
manually.)  If I know correctly, when a spam processor is called, a message
is generated showing the number of articles being processed, and I don't
see a message like that in the message buffer after exiting a group which
had new messages.

Can someone tell me how to do this right?  I would also be grateful for any
advice on enhancing my setup.

Thanks,

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu

* Re: spam elisp with spam-stat
       [not found] ` <87hdyeh92z.fsf@everett.mit.edu>
@ 2004-01-29 19:35   ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2004-01-29 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, David Z Maze wrote:

> I don't set gnus-parameters directly in my setup; I have
>
> (setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
>       '(("nnml:.*" (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-stat
> 		    gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-stat))))

Ok, this did the trick, thanks.

> I also set spam-junk-mailgroups to '("mail.misc.spam") to cause
> everything in my spam group to get the spam mark on the group entry.

Yes, I had this somewhere, too...

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu
Vanderbilt University                      |      Work phone: (615) 343 1319
Box 1829, Station B, Nashville, TN 37235   |            PGP key ID: 266BC45F

* gnus-parameters are ignored for spam-process (was: spam elisp with spam-stat)
       [not found] ` <87hdyeh92z.fsf@everett.mit.edu>
@ 2004-01-30 19:04   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-01-30 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, dmaze@mit.edu wrote:

> David Hanak <dhanakDONT@isisSEND.vanderbiltME.eduSPAM> writes:
>
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '((".*"
>>          (spam-process ((spam spam-use-stat)
>>                         (ham spam-use-stat))))))
>
> I don't set gnus-parameters directly in my setup; I have
>
> (setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
>       '(("nnml:.*" (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-stat
> 		    gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-stat))))

Since this switch (from gnus-parameters to
gnus-spam-process-newsgroups) worked for David, I think there may be a
bug in the gnus-parameters code somewhere.  I'm not familiar with it,
sorry.

Ted

* Re: gnus-parameters are ignored for spam-process
@ 2004-01-30 19:38     ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2004-01-30 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Since this switch (from gnus-parameters to gnus-spam-process-newsgroups)
> worked for David, I think there may be a bug in the gnus-parameters code
> somewhere.  I'm not familiar with it, sorry.

I didn't look in the spam.el package, so this is just a wild guess.  But
AFAIK, there are (at least) two functions to query group parameters,
gnus-group-get-parameter, and gnus-group-find-parameter.  The former one
examines neither topic parameters nor the gnus-parameters variable, while
the latter one checks both.  Couldn't it be that instead of using
g-g-find-p, you used g-g-get-p in spam.el?