* gnous-group feature and eval-after-load
@ 2007-05-09  7:59 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-05-09  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Gnus folk,

I have the following in my .gnus:

  (eval-after-load 'gnus-group
    (progn
      (define-key gnus-group-mode-map "q" 'bury-buffer)
      (define-key gnus-group-mode-map "Q" 'gnus-group-exit)
      ))

I understand that most of gnus has already been loaded by the time a
.gnus is read, but according to (describe-function 'eval-after-load):

  "Arrange that, if FILE is ever loaded, FORM will be run at that time.
   If FILE is already loaded, evaluate FORM right now."

However, the above key bindings only come into effect the _second_
time I load gnus in an emacs session...

Any ideas why?

Sebastian

* Re: gnous-group feature and eval-after-load
@ 2007-05-09 18:14 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-05-09 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, May 09 2007, Sebastian Tennant wrote:

> Hi Gnus folk,
>
> I have the following in my .gnus:
>
>   (eval-after-load 'gnus-group
>     (progn
>       (define-key gnus-group-mode-map "q" 'bury-buffer)
>       (define-key gnus-group-mode-map "Q" 'gnus-group-exit)
>       ))

Since you can't use Gnus without loading gnus-group.elc, there's no
point in using eval-after-load.  I'd suggest...

(require 'gnus-group)
(define-key gnus-group-mode-map "q" 'bury-buffer)
(define-key gnus-group-mode-map "Q" 'gnus-group-exit)

> However, the above key bindings only come into effect the _second_
> time I load gnus in an emacs session...
>
> Any ideas why?

I don't know.  I'd suggest to add
  (message "in eval-after-load gnus-group")
and look into the *Messages* buffer.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,