* How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-29 18:53 napofrog
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: napofrog @ 2005-03-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

While in a summary buffer, I'm trying to get new mail into it without
exiting the summary buffer.  I was under the impression that this is
what '/ N' is for.  But whether or not I have gotten new mail from the
server with 'g' in the Group buffer, the only thing that '/ N' ever
does for me is to remove everything from the current summary buffer
except for the message that the cursor is currently on.  What should I
be doing instead?

Thanks,

Roger

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-29 19:22 ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-03-29 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> While in a summary buffer, I'm trying to get new mail into it without
> exiting the summary buffer.  I was under the impression that this is
> what '/ N' is for.  But whether or not I have gotten new mail from the
> server with 'g' in the Group buffer, the only thing that '/ N' ever
> does for me is to remove everything from the current summary buffer
> except for the message that the cursor is currently on.  What should I
> be doing instead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger

M-g

The same applies in the group buffer, if you want to catch mail only for
the group on point.

Regards, Bruno.

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-29 22:05   ` napofrog
From: napofrog @ 2005-03-29 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruno Hertz wrote:
> "napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > While in a summary buffer, I'm trying to get new mail into it
without
> > exiting the summary buffer.  I was under the impression that this
is
> > what '/ N' is for.  But whether or not I have gotten new mail from
the
> > server with 'g' in the Group buffer, the only thing that '/ N' ever
> > does for me is to remove everything from the current summary buffer
> > except for the message that the cursor is currently on.  What
should I
> > be doing instead?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Roger
>
> M-g
>
> The same applies in the group buffer, if you want to catch mail only
for
> the group on point.

Right, but M-g actually exits the summary buffer, and my summary buffer
is large enough that I was hoping not to have to exit at all.  Is it
possible to catch new mail without leaving the summary buffer?

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-29 22:38     ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-03-29 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:

> Right, but M-g actually exits the summary buffer, and my summary buffer
> is large enough that I was hoping not to have to exit at all.  Is it
> possible to catch new mail without leaving the summary buffer?

It doesn't exit the summary buffer here (and hasn't been done for years, with
various Emacs/Gnus/Ognus versions). Did you tweak some obscure variable which
changes this behavior?

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-29 23:13       ` napofrog
From: napofrog @ 2005-03-29 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruno Hertz wrote:
> "napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Right, but M-g actually exits the summary buffer, and my summary
buffer
> > is large enough that I was hoping not to have to exit at all.  Is
it
> > possible to catch new mail without leaving the summary buffer?
>
> It doesn't exit the summary buffer here (and hasn't been done for
years, with
> various Emacs/Gnus/Ognus versions). Did you tweak some obscure
variable which
> changes this behavior?

Really?  M-g very clearly exits the summary buffer for me.  Here is
exactly what happens when I use it from the summary buffer:

1) The mini-buffer at the bottom of the frame says "Expiring
articles..."

2) The summary buffer disappears and we are back in the group buffer.

3) Very briefly the mini-buffer flashes: "Retrieving newsgroup:
nnml:mail.misc" [this is my main inbox newsgroup]

4) The minibuffer queries how many articles.

Is this different from your behavior?

I am using the Gnus version that comes with Emacs 21.2.2 out of the
box, so it's not old.

Thanks again for the help,

@ 2005-03-29 23:18     ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-03-29 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:

> Right, but M-g actually exits the summary buffer, and my summary buffer
> is large enough that I was hoping not to have to exit at all.  Is it
> possible to catch new mail without leaving the summary buffer?

Ah ok, now I understand, it exit's the group. No, in this case I don't know
how to fetch further articles without rebuilding the group data and
regenerating the summary buffer. Sorry.

Regards, Bruno.

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-29 23:28         ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-03-29 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"napofrog" <napofrog@hotmail.com> writes:

> Really?  M-g very clearly exits the summary buffer for me.  Here is
> exactly what happens when I use it from the summary buffer:
>
> 1) The mini-buffer at the bottom of the frame says "Expiring
> articles..."
>
> 2) The summary buffer disappears and we are back in the group buffer.
>
> 3) Very briefly the mini-buffer flashes: "Retrieving newsgroup:
> nnml:mail.misc" [this is my main inbox newsgroup]
>
> 4) The minibuffer queries how many articles.
>
> Is this different from your behavior?

Slightly, I'd say so. The group buffer is not entered resp. the summary
buffer not left here, afaik. But the complete article list is rebuilt,
that's right. So if you want old articles to stay in place and only 'add'
new ones, no I don't know how to accomplish this. Actually I'd be surprised
if this was possible.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why you'd want this (without questioning
that it might make sense for you). Since, as I'm reading through articles
myself, I type 'x' now and then to actually hide read articles until I'm
finished. Also, I'm very happy that Gnus doesn't pop in new articles now
and then like e.g. Evolution, since if you left articles unread while going
through the list just to do an all catch up 'c' at the end, with other
clients you'd never know whether you'd unwillingly catch up an article not
yet seen.

Anyway, regarding your particular issue I can be of no help I'm afraid .

Regards, Bruno.

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  6:23 ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-03-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

napofrog wrote:

| While in a summary buffer, I'm trying to get new mail into it without
| exiting the summary buffer.  I was under the impression that this is
| what '/ N' is for.

Yes, indeed.

| But whether or not I have gotten new mail from the server with 'g' in
| the Group buffer, the only thing that '/ N' ever does for me is to
| remove everything from the current summary buffer except for the
| message that the cursor is currently on.  What should I be doing
| instead?

I have no idea since `/ N' behaves like it should for me.  If new
messages have arrived, they are inserted and the rest of the *Summary*
buffer is unchanged.  If no new messages have arrived, gnus responds

"No gnus is bad news".

The *Summary* buffer is not changed at all.

Are you certain you haven't set any variables that influence this?

--
SB

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  6:25 ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-03-30  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

napofrog wrote:

| While in a summary buffer, I'm trying to get new mail into it without
| exiting the summary buffer.  I was under the impression that this is
| what '/ N' is for.  But whether or not I have gotten new mail from the
| server with 'g' in the Group buffer, the only thing that '/ N' ever
| does for me is to remove everything from the current summary buffer
| except for the message that the cursor is currently on.  What should I
| be doing instead?

Actually, I think you might be doing `/ n' instead of `/ N'.  That gives
your described behavior.

--
SB

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  7:31   ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-03-30  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

steinab@ifi.uio.no (Steinar Børmer) writes:

> I have no idea since `/ N' behaves like it should for me.  If new
> messages have arrived, they are inserted and the rest of the *Summary*
> buffer is unchanged.  If no new messages have arrived, gnus responds
>
> "No gnus is bad news".
>
> The *Summary* buffer is not changed at all.
>
> Are you certain you haven't set any variables that influence this?

Maybe it's backend specific (?) I checked that function/key some time ago
on nnimap backends, but it didn't seem to work. Checked again now, and this
time it does, i.e. /N really fetches new articles from my imap server
without completely rebuilding the summary buffer. Cool so far.

On the other hand, the following snippet from the info manual

 `/ N'
     Insert all new articles in the summary buffer.  It scans for new
     emails if BACK-END`-get-new-mail' is non-`nil'.

is somehow confusing since I've never set nnimap-get-new-mail, nor is it
referenced in any of the Gnus lisp files. So could be some backends need it
and others not. Maybe setting that variable changes the /N behavior for OP?

Regards, Bruno.

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  8:21   ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2005-03-30  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

steinab@ifi.uio.no (Steinar Børmer) writes:

> napofrog wrote:
>
> | While in a summary buffer, I'm trying to get new mail into it without
> | exiting the summary buffer.  I was under the impression that this is
> | what '/ N' is for.  But whether or not I have gotten new mail from the
> | server with 'g' in the Group buffer, the only thing that '/ N' ever
> | does for me is to remove everything from the current summary buffer
> | except for the message that the cursor is currently on.  What should I
> | be doing instead?
>
> Actually, I think you might be doing `/ n' instead of `/ N'.  That gives
> your described behavior.
>
> --
> SB

That is exactly what I am doing, too, namely `/ n'.

If I hit "c-x / N" I get:

<help buffer>
/ n runs the command gnus-summary-limit-to-articles
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
(gnus-summary-limit-to-articles N)

Limit the summary buffer to the next N articles.
If not given a prefix, use the process marked articles instead.
</help buffer>

Gnus v5.9.0
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19 on buffy
Windows XP, Cygwin

Anders

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  8:30           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 30 2005, Bruno Hertz wrote:

> The group buffer is not entered resp. the summary buffer not left
> here, afaik.

Wrong.  The doc string clearly says so:

,----[ `C-h k M-g' ]
| M-g runs the command gnus-summary-rescan-group
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
| It is bound to M-g, Z G, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Exit> <Rescan group>.
| (gnus-summary-rescan-group &optional all)
|
| Exit the newsgroup, ask for new articles, and select the newsgroup.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  8:33   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-30  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 30 2005, Steinar Børmer wrote:

> Actually, I think you might be doing `/ n' instead of `/ N'.  That gives
> your described behavior.

And the OP probably has Gnus <= 5.9 where `/ N'
(`gnus-summary-insert-new-articles') isn't available.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ]
| New features in Gnus 5.10:
| [...]
|    * In the summary buffer, the new command `/ N' inserts new messages
|      and `/ o' inserts old messages.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30  9:49             ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-03-30  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 30 2005, Bruno Hertz wrote:
>
>> The group buffer is not entered resp. the summary buffer not left
>> here, afaik.
>
> Wrong.  The doc string clearly says so:

Partly, yes. See below.

> ,----[ `C-h k M-g' ]
> | M-g runs the command gnus-summary-rescan-group
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
> | It is bound to M-g, Z G, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Exit> <Rescan group>.
> | (gnus-summary-rescan-group &optional all)
> |
> | Exit the newsgroup, ask for new articles, and select the newsgroup.
> `----

One might still differentiate 'leaving the group' and 'leaving the buffer'.
The buffer isn't actually left on M-g when new mails are available, which
was the case during my tests. The summary is apparantly completely rebuilt,
though, as one would expect when a group is exited and reentered.

On the other hand, if no new articles are pending, the behavior described
by OP actually occurs, i.e. the group buffer pops up and you're asked
about how many articles you want to pull. So one really leaves the summary,
and (unfortunately) on hitting C-g at that point one is left in the group
buffer (would be better if the summary hadn't been destroyed at that point
- and maybe it isn't, didn't investigate that - and could be brought back,
so that one had a nondestructive check method).

Anyways, that's why I said 'doesn't leave the buffer'.

Regards, Bruno.

* Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
@ 2005-03-30 16:29     ` napofrog
From: napofrog @ 2005-03-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30 2005, Steinar Børmer wrote:
>
> > Actually, I think you might be doing `/ n' instead of `/ N'.  That
gives
> > your described behavior.
>
> And the OP probably has Gnus <= 5.9 where `/ N'
> (`gnus-summary-insert-new-articles') isn't available.
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ]
> | New features in Gnus 5.10:
> | [...]
> |    * In the summary buffer, the new command `/ N' inserts new
messages
> |      and `/ o' inserts old messages.
> `----

Aha!  Yes, I have Gnus version 5.9.0.

At this point I might as well just upgrade to Emacs 21.4, I presume
that Gnus 5.10 is packaged with it?

Many thanks.

@ 2005-03-30 20:19       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-30 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 30 2005, napofrog wrote:

> At this point I might as well just upgrade to Emacs 21.4, I presume
> that Gnus 5.10 is packaged with it?

Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ in the movemail executable (security
fix).  Thus Emacs 21.4 also ships Gnus 5.9.

If you want Gnus 5.10.6, you need to download and install it
separately.

(Or use the CVS version of Emacs which will be release as Emacs 22
someday.  The Gnus version there is labeled 5.11.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)