Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost)
@ 2020-09-09  8:15 Saša Janiška
  2020-09-09 15:02 ` wgreenhouse
  2020-09-10  0:50 ` 황병희
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Saša Janiška @ 2020-09-09  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

at the moment I use nnmaildir back-end to access all my emails - several
accounts + ~65k old archive. For fetching messages and feeding my
~/Maildir I use mbsync + notmuch as search engine.

in #gnus I did ask about pro/cons in using nnimap back-end by having
dovecot running locally on localhost, but would like to get some input
here?

Since I like notmuch's query capabilities, I wonder if I can keep using
it along with nnimap/dovecot?

Any other pro/cons?

I was also considering to use getmail to fetch/sort/scan my email, but
decided to stay with mbsync since I have a need to occasionally check
email with my Android phone and will delegate sorting/scanning to the
provider's server.


Sincerely,
Gour

-- 
The intricacies of action are very hard to understand.
Therefore one should know properly what action is,
what forbidden action is, and what inaction is.


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost)
  2020-09-09  8:15 nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost) Saša Janiška
@ 2020-09-09 15:02 ` wgreenhouse
  2020-09-09 18:35   ` Eric Abrahamsen
  2020-09-10  0:50 ` 황병희
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: wgreenhouse @ 2020-09-09 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

> Since I like notmuch's query capabilities, I wonder if I can keep using
> it along with nnimap/dovecot?
>
> Any other pro/cons?

You would need to set up notmuch to point to dovecot's directory where
the mail is being stored (~/.mail in my shell provider's setup,
apparently). In Gnus, you must also customize
`nnir-notmuch-remove-prefix' to the same directory. Also, notmuch must
be using one of the backends that adhreres to a "one-message, one-file"
paradigm (notmuch is not compatible with mbox, for example, but dovecot
is).

--wgreenhouse


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost)
  2020-09-09 15:02 ` wgreenhouse
@ 2020-09-09 18:35   ` Eric Abrahamsen
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-09-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

wgreenhouse <wgreenhouse@tilde.club> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:
>
>> Since I like notmuch's query capabilities, I wonder if I can keep using
>> it along with nnimap/dovecot?
>>
>> Any other pro/cons?
>
> You would need to set up notmuch to point to dovecot's directory where
> the mail is being stored (~/.mail in my shell provider's setup,
> apparently). In Gnus, you must also customize
> `nnir-notmuch-remove-prefix' to the same directory. Also, notmuch must
> be using one of the backends that adhreres to a "one-message, one-file"
> paradigm (notmuch is not compatible with mbox, for example, but dovecot
> is).

In my experience, this doesn't work because notmuch returns filenames as
search results, and nnimap requires article UIDs to actually fetch the
articles, and there's no mapping between the two. All this is hazy to
me, and I would be happy to be proven wrong!


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost)
  2020-09-09  8:15 nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost) Saša Janiška
  2020-09-09 15:02 ` wgreenhouse
@ 2020-09-10  0:50 ` 황병희
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: 황병희 @ 2020-09-10  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> at the moment I use nnmaildir back-end to access all my emails - several
> accounts + ~65k old archive. For fetching messages and feeding my
> ~/Maildir I use mbsync + notmuch as search engine.
>
> in #gnus I did ask about pro/cons in using nnimap back-end by having
> dovecot running locally on localhost, but would like to get some input
> here?
>
> Since I like notmuch's query capabilities, I wonder if I can keep using
> it along with nnimap/dovecot?
>
> Any other pro/cons?
>
> I was also considering to use getmail to fetch/sort/scan my email, but
> decided to stay with mbsync since I have a need to occasionally check
> email with my Android phone and will delegate sorting/scanning to the
> provider's server.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour

[another comments]
I am only Gnus user. Unless it is heavy traffice like as LKML, nnimap is
not bad in Gnus.

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

-- 
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-09-10  0:51 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-09-09  8:15 nnmaildir vs nnimap (dovecot@localhost) Saša Janiška
2020-09-09 15:02 ` wgreenhouse
2020-09-09 18:35   ` Eric Abrahamsen
2020-09-10  0:50 ` 황병희

Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository.

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/info-gnus-english

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 info-gnus-english info-gnus-english/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/info-gnus-english \
		info-gnus-english@inbox.vuxu.org
	public-inbox-index info-gnus-english

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.emacs.gnus.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git