discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Bl+Pp still causing double spacing
@ 2010-09-04 16:07 Jason McIntyre
From: Jason McIntyre @ 2010-09-04 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

hi. i thought this had been fixed, but it's still happening. for
reference, see openbsd's azalia(4) page.

basically it has a list like this:

	.Pp
	.Bl -tag -width blah
	.It blah
	.Pp
	.It blah
	.Pp
	.It blah
	.El

mandoc generates double blank lines between list entries when it should
really ignore the Pp's. i'm going to zap the .Pp because it's all
useless, but regardless, mandoc should not be generating double blanks,
no?

or did we have this conversation and it should?

jmc

* Re: Bl+Pp still causing double spacing
@ 2010-09-05 18:03 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2010-09-05 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Jason,

Jason McIntyre wrote on Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 05:07:27PM +0100:

> i thought this had been fixed, but it's still happening.
> for reference, see openbsd's azalia(4) page.
>
> basically it has a list like this:
>
> 	.Pp
> 	.Bl -tag -width blah
> 	.It blah
> 	.Pp
> 	.It blah
> 	.Pp
> 	.It blah
> 	.El
>
> mandoc generates double blank lines between list entries when it should
> really ignore the Pp's.

I consider that a known bug in mandoc.
See the following entry in the TODO list:

- A bogus .Pp between two .It must not produce a double blank line,
  see between -R and -r in OpenBSD rm(1), before "update" in mount(8),
  or in DIAGNOSTICS in init(8).

> i'm going to zap the .Pp because it's all useless,

Yes, zapping that is fine.

> but regardless, mandoc should not be generating double blanks,
> no?

Yes, in this case, double blanks are wrong.

Yours,
  Ingo