tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
* Font colours, sizes, etc.
@ 2010-07-19  8:14 Kristaps Dzonsons
       [not found] ` <20100719083346.GE30454@bramka.kerhand.co.uk>
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-07-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech, Jason McIntyre

Hi,

The TODO file says:

- implement \s (physical font size)
   \sN - set to N
   \s+N - increment by N, 1 <= N <= 8
   \s-N - decrement by N, 1 <= N <= 8
   \s0 - restore previous size
   \s(nn \s+-(nn \s'+-nn' \s+-'nn' \s[+-nn] \s+-[nn] - disambiguate
   registers: .s .ps .sr .psr
   used by e.g. cu(1), tip(1)

Right now we ignore \s, \m, and \M in the Right Way, i.e., passing over
the entire sequence.  Since "Ignore" != "Implement", it bears asking...

Does anybody object if this TODO is removed as completed?  Commensurate
on libroff discarding the .s/.ps/etc. requests, of course.

Note: we don't warn about bogus escapes because resolving escapes to
data occurs in the front-end, which has no facilities to warn.  We can
and do warn about bad syntax, but that's it.  I could add a warning
saying that \m etc. are deprecated forms, but maybe this would be
confusing.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kristaps

* Re: Font colours, sizes, etc.
       [not found] ` <20100719083346.GE30454@bramka.kerhand.co.uk>
@ 2010-07-19  9:24   ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-07-19  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason McIntyre; +Cc: tech

> we have very little of this stuff in openbsd base. aside from tip/cu
> there's like one other page and some csh usd docs. but there seems to be
> a fair bit in 3rd party docs (perl, gcc, curses).
>
> i have no opinion on the matter though. if it's not going to happen, let
> me know and i'll zap the stuff that has it.

The \s docs have been whacked.  They were never implemented anyway.

Note again that \m, \s, and \M are all "intelligently" discarded, so
cu.1 and tip.1 format correctly and consistently across output devices
without stray \s+[puke]hi\s-[barf] appearing in output.