mailing list of musl libc
* Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24  1:01 Rich Felker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-04-24  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I know a lot of stuff in the musl website is a bit outdated, lacking
in details, etc. and I'd appreciate some ideas to get it more
useful/informative between now and the 0.9 release. Website is a GREAT
bikeshed so come on everybody, have at it.. ;-)

Here's some random brainstorming...

New main section layout?
About | How to use | Get musl | ...

About: What musl is, why one should be interested in using it. This is
the place to hype musl's strengths like size, performance, ease of
deployment, lack of corner-case/oom failures, ultra-robust POSIX
threads and timers, etc.

How to use: 3 ways to use musl; again appealing to wide audience
- with wrapper to make easy-to-deploy static linked or minimally
  dynamic-linked programs,
- with a musl-based distro like sabotage (or in the future, a more
  mainstream distro like gentoo with a musl option)
- as the basis for building your own system from scratch

Get musl: Not just musl release/git download links; also links to
sabotage and other dists, and perhaps in the future some binaries for
folks who are lazy and not very paranoid. A musl-based rescue disk
might be interesting here too.

Community page needs major updates...

Docs page is rather empty...

Possibly add a news page in oldschool weblog (pre-blog) format (flat
html with really old stuff moved to a separate page, no commenting,
updates on what's going on in development, ...) If I do this I'm not
sure how much I should include on it; probably only stuff directly
related to musl development, and keep the more random stuff on the
separate upcoming ewontfix.com blog...

Rich

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24  8:57 ` Yaşar Arabacı
From: Yaşar Arabacı @ 2012-04-24  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 24-04-2012 04:01, Rich Felker wrote:
> I know a lot of stuff in the musl website is a bit outdated, lacking
> in details, etc. and I'd appreciate some ideas to get it more
> useful/informative between now and the 0.9 release. Website is a GREAT
> bikeshed so come on everybody, have at it.. ;-)

One thing I would like to see changed is mini-distributions  part of the
community page. Sabotage's  link in there points to chneukirchen's repo
which is outdated. It would be nice to point that link to more recent
(e.g. sh4rm4's) repository. Also, other distributions/build scripts can
be considered for adding there.

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24  9:11   ` Daniel Cegiełka
From: Daniel Cegiełka @ 2012-04-24  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

> One thing I would like to see changed is mini-distributions  part of the
> community page. Sabotage's  link in there points to chneukirchen's repo
> which is outdated. It would be nice to point that link to more recent
> (e.g. sh4rm4's) repository. Also, other distributions/build scripts can
> be considered for adding there.

https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage

regards,
daniel

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24 11:11     ` Daniel Cegiełka
From: Daniel Cegiełka @ 2012-04-24 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

W dniu 24 kwietnia 2012 11:11 użytkownik Daniel Cegiełka <
daniel.cegielka@gmail.com> napisał:

>> One thing I would like to see changed is mini-distributions  part of the
>> community page. Sabotage's  link in there points to chneukirchen's repo
>> which is outdated. It would be nice to point that link to more recent
>> (e.g. sh4rm4's) repository. Also, other distributions/build scripts can
>> be considered for adding there.
>>

> https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage
>
> regards,
> daniel

next one - pacman based :)

https://github.com/jhuntwork

daniel

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24 15:43       ` Jeremy Huntwork
From: Jeremy Huntwork @ 2012-04-24 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On 4/24/12 7:11 AM, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
> next one - pacman based :)
>
> https://github.com/jhuntwork

Heh, I only just started that one - there's a long way to go with it yet.

JH

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24 15:49         ` Daniel Cegiełka
From: Daniel Cegiełka @ 2012-04-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

next one - pacman based :)

>> https://github.com/jhuntwork
>>

> Heh, I only just started that one - there's a long way to go with it yet.

'big things have small beginnings' :)

A lot of useful patches supporting the musl:

https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage/tree/master/KEEP

regards,
daniel

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24 19:55 ` Isaac Dunham
From: Isaac Dunham @ 2012-04-24 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:01:16 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:

> I know a lot of stuff in the musl website is a bit outdated, lacking
> in details, etc. and I'd appreciate some ideas to get it more
> useful/informative between now and the 0.9 release. Website is a GREAT
> bikeshed so come on everybody, have at it.. ;-)

Update the comparisons?
IIRC, glibc has dropped the rpc headers and expect a third-party
implementation to be used (tirpc was one, IIRC).
The ABI is still present there.
Sizes for musl are outdated (~575k libc.so, nearly 1.4 MB libc.a here).

* Re: Request for comments: website updates?
@ 2012-04-24 20:31   ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2012-04-24 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:55:24PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:01:16 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > I know a lot of stuff in the musl website is a bit outdated, lacking
> > in details, etc. and I'd appreciate some ideas to get it more
> > useful/informative between now and the 0.9 release. Website is a GREAT
> > bikeshed so come on everybody, have at it.. ;-)
> >
> Update the comparisons?
> IIRC, glibc has dropped the rpc headers and expect a third-party
> implementation to be used (tirpc was one, IIRC).
> The ABI is still present there.
> Sizes for musl are outdated (~575k libc.so, nearly 1.4 MB libc.a here).

size(1) and du(1) are very different; the measurements are size(1).
And they're actually inflated because I measured my debug build, and
size(1) is counting debug info (eh_frame) as code because if this were
C++, it would be part of the code...

@ 2012-04-24 23:15 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2012-04-24 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:01:16PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> How to use: 3 ways to use musl; again appealing to wide audience
> - with wrapper to make easy-to-deploy static linked or minimally
>   dynamic-linked programs,
> - with a musl-based distro like sabotage (or in the future, a more
>   mainstream distro like gentoo with a musl option)
> - as the basis for building your own system from scratch

The first and third ones are things I'd like to have to give to people
who are interested, but I am not qualified to write them.  I'm also
interested in wrapper scripts for non-gcc compilers (pcc and llvm/clang
would be nice).

Kurt