mailing list of musl libc
* [musl] m68k - malloc causing 'out of memory: my_alloc caller' in rsync
@ 2023-06-26 19:34 Immolo
From: Immolo @ 2023-06-26 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I've been testing using Gentoo on m68k with musl -1.2.4 over the last few
days and hit an interesting issue when running `emerge --sync` to update
the portage tree would cause the following error:

[receiver] out of memory: my_alloc caller (file=flist.c, line=311)
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util2.c(123)
[receiver=3.2.7]
[generator] out of memory: my_alloc caller (file=flist.c, line=311)
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util2.c(123)
[generator=3.2.7]
rsync: [receiver] write error: Broken pipe (32)
Full output here: https://bpa.st/3VDNM

Looking at the source code of the files it highlights it seems to be an
issue in the malloc:
https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/blob/master/util2.c#L123
https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/blob/master/flist.c#L311
https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/blob/master/fileio.c#L159

I've tested to see if a local rsync mirror will cause the same error with
random files and found it happens at around 62 files being mirrored but
size of the file does not matter.
I run musll on multiple architectures and this is the first time I've run
across it and have confirmed the Gentoo glibc m68k install does not run
into this.