* UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14  0:46 Bill Meahan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-14  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried porting ConTeXt to the UWIN
environment?

UWIN is very much like cygwin in being a "Unix on Windows"
environment. However, it is not based on GNU but is Real Unix code
from AT&T Bell Labs. Many of the utilities are simply the latest
versions of the original Version 7 Unix utilities, others are from
BSD, System III and System V. The shell is genuine ksh93, not pdksh
or bash/dash. There is a POSIX dll to provide a complete POSIX api.
This is AT&T's own, not the "POSIX subsystem" from Microsoft. The cc
command is a wrapper for Visual C, gcc or whatever you have. Instead
of the usual autoconf..configure..make..make install dance you can
use nmake.

I can run the usual Windows context with a bit of fiddling but it
would be nice to use the regular setuptex shell script et. al.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14  7:07 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-14  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM, Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists@meahan.net>wrote:

> Out of curiosity, has anyone tried porting ConTeXt to the UWIN
> environment?
>
> no, honestly  the binaries from A. Kakuto are
ok, and also the mingw version works.
The Lua scripts are almost OS independent and the TeX code is
OS independent (ok I should say almost too)
and very likely a uwin porting is (a bit or much) slower  than the native
one
so...

--
luigi

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14  7:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-06-14  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/14/2013 2:46 AM, Bill Meahan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, has anyone tried porting ConTeXt to the UWIN
> environment?
>
> UWIN is very much like cygwin in being a "Unix on Windows"
> environment. However, it is not based on GNU but is Real Unix code
> from AT&T Bell Labs. Many of the utilities are simply the latest
> versions of the original Version 7 Unix utilities, others are from
> BSD, System III and System V. The shell is genuine ksh93, not pdksh
> or bash/dash. There is a POSIX dll to provide a complete POSIX api.
> This is AT&T's own, not the "POSIX subsystem" from Microsoft. The cc
> command is a wrapper for Visual C, gcc or whatever you have. Instead
> of the usual autoconf..configure..make..make install dance you can
> use nmake.

Just wondering: why are users using unix shells on windows for running
tex? does it have advantages?

Or is the availability of unix commands the main reason?

Context (mkiv) itself does not rely on anything else than lua and that
is provided by the engine itself.

> I can run the usual Windows context with a bit of fiddling but it
> would be nice to use the regular setuptex shell script et. al.

You can try to port the setuptex script to ksh93; it's no problem to add
that to the minimals then.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14 10:58   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-14 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:

>>Just wondering: why are users using unix shells on windows for
running tex? does it have advantages?

>>Or is the availability of unix commands the main reason?

In no particular order:

The Unix utilities, richer scripting language, compatibility with
existing Unix systems one might need to deal with. Familiarity for
those of us who have spent many more years working with Unix than
Windows.

If you need/want a GUI interface, Windows is great and that's where
the applications are, for the most part.
If you need/want a command-line environment, Unix is much more
capable and powerful than the DOS world of the Windows command line.

Something like UWIN or Cygwin allows one to have both.

I have no familiarity at all with Macs since using the original Mac
Plus to publish a newsletter in the late 1980's so I'm not
slighting/disparaging Macs in any way. I won't comment on what I
don't know about.

[Bill Meahan]

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14 12:21     ` Jacob Peck
From: Jacob Peck @ 2013-06-14 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/14/2013 6:58 AM, Bill Meahan wrote:
> Hans wrote:
>
>>> Just wondering: why are users using unix shells on windows for
> running tex? does it have advantages?
>
>>> Or is the availability of unix commands the main reason?
> In no particular order:
>
> The Unix utilities, richer scripting language, compatibility with
> existing Unix systems one might need to deal with. Familiarity for
> those of us who have spent many more years working with Unix than
> Windows.
>
> If you need/want a GUI interface, Windows is great and that's where
> the applications are, for the most part.
> If you need/want a command-line environment, Unix is much more
> capable and powerful than the DOS world of the Windows command line.
>
> Something like UWIN or Cygwin allows one to have both.
>
> I have no familiarity at all with Macs since using the original Mac
> Plus to publish a newsletter in the late 1980's so I'm not
> slighting/disparaging Macs in any way. I won't comment on what I
> don't know about.
>
> [Bill Meahan]
Agreed completely.  That being said, I run the Windows ConTeXt
standalone through cygwin, because it just works.

-->Jake

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14 19:05 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-06-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM, Bill Meahan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, has anyone tried porting ConTeXt to the UWIN
> environment?
>
> UWIN is very much like cygwin in being a "Unix on Windows"
> environment. However, it is not based on GNU but is Real Unix code
> from AT&T Bell Labs. Many of the utilities are simply the latest
> versions of the original Version 7 Unix utilities, others are from
> BSD, System III and System V. The shell is genuine ksh93, not pdksh
> or bash/dash. There is a POSIX dll to provide a complete POSIX api.
> This is AT&T's own, not the "POSIX subsystem" from Microsoft. The cc
> command is a wrapper for Visual C, gcc or whatever you have. Instead
> of the usual autoconf..configure..make..make install dance you can
> use nmake.
>
> I can run the usual Windows context with a bit of fiddling but it
> would be nice to use the regular setuptex shell script et. al.

I need to make extra effort to get to a windows machine, but if
existing windows binaries work and all you need is a modification is
the two shell scripts to downlad ConTeXt and to set the paths, it
might be easy to add support. However, I have no clue how to even
download UWIN.

Now that Jacob mentioned it: I didn't think of the fact that one might
not necessarily need special cygwin binaries to run ConTeXt in cygwin.
If a simple modification in first-setup.sh and setuptex can do the
job, feel free to suggest the change (platform detection).

If existing binaries don't work, you can write a tutorial (an article
for ConTeXt journal) about how to compile luatex and xetex with nmake.

Mojca

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14 19:13   ` Jacob Peck
From: Jacob Peck @ 2013-06-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/14/2013 3:05 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Now that Jacob mentioned it: I didn't think of the fact that one might
> not necessarily need special cygwin binaries to run ConTeXt in cygwin.
> If a simple modification in first-setup.sh and setuptex can do the
> job, feel free to suggest the change (platform detection).
My changes were simple - I used the setuptex file that came with
standalone, and tweaked it ever so slightly.

https://gist.github.com/gatesphere/0afaf5c2c647430ff653

Save that as .setuptex in ~ (home directory) then add the line

source /home/PeckJ/.setuptex /cygdrive/c/context/tex

to .bashrc, and you should be good to go.  I did install
(first-setup.bat) from a Windows shell, however, and that took a few
tweaks because I'm behind a corporate firewall, but that's a different
story all together.

Hope this helps,
-->Jake

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14 20:14     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-06-14 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Jacob Peck wrote:
> On 6/14/2013 3:05 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> Now that Jacob mentioned it: I didn't think of the fact that one might
> not necessarily need special cygwin binaries to run ConTeXt in cygwin.
> If a simple modification in first-setup.sh and setuptex can do the
> job, feel free to suggest the change (platform detection).
>
> My changes were simple - I used the setuptex file that came with standalone,
> and tweaked it ever so slightly.
>
> https://gist.github.com/gatesphere/0afaf5c2c647430ff653

So basically all you did was replacing platform detection with
    platform="mswin"
and commented out three lines of code that notify about the change?
(Did you just find those lines annoying or did they actually fail to
work?)

Just curious: what does
    uname -s
    uname -m
return on cygwin or what is the best way to detect windows in "shell"?
(I believe that should be easy enough.)

> Save that as .setuptex in ~ (home directory) then add the line
>
> source /home/PeckJ/.setuptex /cygdrive/c/context/tex
> to .bashrc, and you should be good to go.

In that case I would use
    export PATH=/cygdrive/c/context/tex/texm-mswin/bin:$PATH
instead, but of course it's your choice.

Mojca

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-14 21:51       ` Jacob Peck
From: Jacob Peck @ 2013-06-14 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/14/2013 4:14 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Jacob Peck wrote:
>> On 6/14/2013 3:05 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Now that Jacob mentioned it: I didn't think of the fact that one might
>> not necessarily need special cygwin binaries to run ConTeXt in cygwin.
>> If a simple modification in first-setup.sh and setuptex can do the
>> job, feel free to suggest the change (platform detection).
>>
>> My changes were simple - I used the setuptex file that came with standalone,
>> and tweaked it ever so slightly.
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/gatesphere/0afaf5c2c647430ff653
> So basically all you did was replacing platform detection with
>      platform="mswin"
> and commented out three lines of code that notify about the change?
> (Did you just find those lines annoying or did they actually fail to
> work?)
I just found them annoying - precisely because they worked :p
> Just curious: what does
>      uname -s
>      uname -m
> return on cygwin or what is the best way to detect windows in "shell"?
> (I believe that should be easy enough.)
$ uname -s; uname -m; uname -o
CYGWIN_NT-5.1
i686
Cygwin

You could test if `uname -s` starts with "CYGWIN", or if `uname -o`
equals "Cygwin"... another way is to check $OSTYPE:

$ echo $OSTYPE
cygwin

>> Save that as .setuptex in ~ (home directory) then add the line
>>
>> source /home/PeckJ/.setuptex /cygdrive/c/context/tex
>> to .bashrc, and you should be good to go.
> In that case I would use
>      export PATH=/cygdrive/c/context/tex/texm-mswin/bin:$PATH
> instead, but of course it's your choice.
Is that all the script does?  I've never read it completely, just
tweaked it until it worked.

Ah well, my setup works just fine :)

-->Jake
> Mojca

* Re: UWIN?
@ 2013-06-15 15:48       ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-06-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My changes were simple - I used the setuptex file that came with
> standalone, and tweaked it ever so slightly.
>
> https://gist.github.com/gatesphere/0afaf5c2c647430ff653

So basically all you did was replacing platform detection with
    platform="mswin"
and commented out three lines of code that notify about the change?
(Did you just find those lines annoying or did they actually fail to
work?)

Just curious: what does
    uname -s
    uname -m
return on cygwin or what is the best way to detect windows in
"shell"?
(I believe that should be easy enough.)

[Bill Meahan]

UWIN is available here: http://www2.research.att.com/~gsf/download/
The site doesn't seem to be up on weekends, though. Open Source with
Eclipse license.

On my system which is a Athlon 64 X2 (dual core) running Vista (32
bit),

uname -s gives UWIN-VI
uname -m gives i1586
echo $SHELL gives /usr/bin/ksh

Would probably want to do a leading match on the "UWIN" and a
trailing match on the "86" parts since the rest will vary based on
cpu and operating system edition.