* separators between non-instantiantiated (foot)notes
@ 2023-04-03 21:44 Rudd, Kevin via ntg-context
From: Rudd, Kevin via ntg-context @ 2023-04-03 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rudd, Kevin

Is there a better (automatic, consistent) way to insert separators between non-instantiated (foot)notes (i.e., where there is at least one \note involved with an immediately preceeding/following \footnote or \note? looking at the source, the obvious hack was apparent but ... not ideal. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but from what I see:

\starttext
something that works
\footnote[a]{AAAA}
\footnote[b]{BB}

something that doesn't
\footnote[c]{CCCCCC}
\note[b]

something else that doesn't
\footnote[d]{DDDDDDDD}
\unprotect\strc_notes_inject_separator\protect
\note[b]

but can be made to work, but does not adapt to \quotation{normal} \type{\footnote} style/format customizations
\footnote[e]{E E E E}%
\high{\tx{,}}
\note[a]
\stoptext

It would be great if there were a command that treated a (some command like) \note as a \footnote-equivalent command for typesetting purposes but I'm not sure how/where the appropriate template that could produce this command might go. (And I don't know if there are? footnote-state subtleties that I'm missing  that would make this kind of thing non-trivial to implement.)'

Many thanks,

 -K

Kevin W. Rudd, Ph.D.
CAPT, USN (Ret)

Computing Systems Researcher
Computer Architecture & Computer Engineering  (CACE)
Advanced Computing Systems (ACS) Research Program
Laboratory for Physical Sciences (LPS)
kevin@lps.umd.edu

Visiting Research Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
United States Naval Academy
rudd@usna.edu

Adjunct Faculty
Secure, Trusted, and Assured Microelectronics (STAM) Center
Arizona State University
kevin.rudd@asu.edu