* Command line arguments on context project
@ 2022-12-16 16:14 Jethro Djan via ntg-context
From: Jethro Djan via ntg-context @ 2022-12-16 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I am using the project structure to typeset my thesis. This is how the directory looks like:

chapters/chapter1.tex
chapters/chapter2.tex
…

output/
env_thesis.tex
prd_main.tex
ref.bib

I didn’t use the project.

1. How do I specify output directory?

I have already seen the following thread:

https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg101654.html <https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg101654.html>

It doesn’t seem to work on a project. So for example when I run mtxrun —path=output --script context ../prd_main, I get this error:

tex error on line 5 in file /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/doc/latex/buctthesis/chapter1.tex: ! Undefined control sequence

2. How do I get CoTeXt to recognise the ref.bib file when I run the components not the product?

For context, I don’t want the references printed at the end of each chapter but I would like the in-text citation to work (if that is possible). If not, is it possible compile the whole product but only output a certain page range?

Jethro

* Re: Command line arguments on context project
@ 2022-12-16 16:49 ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2022-12-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Schuster

Jethro Djan via ntg-context schrieb am 16.12.2022 um 17:14:
> Dear list,
>
> I am using the project structure to typeset my thesis. This is how the
> directory looks like:
>
> chapters/chapter1.tex
> chapters/chapter2.tex
> …
>
> output/
> env_thesis.tex
> prd_main.tex
> ref.bib
>
> I didn’t use the project.
>
> 1. How do I specify output directory?

context --runpath=output ...

> I have already seen the following thread:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg101654.html
>
> It doesn’t seem to work on a project. So for example when I run mtxrun
> —path=output --script context ../prd_main, I get this error:
>
> tex error on line 5 in file
> /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/doc/latex/buctthesis/chapter1.tex:
> ! Undefined control sequence

How do you load the chapter file in your product file?

The error message above appears because ConTeXt can't find the chapter
file of your document and uses one with the same name from a
documentation of a LaTeX class which has the same name.

> 2. How do I get CoTeXt to recognise the ref.bib file when I run the
> components not the product?
>
> For context, I don’t want the references printed at the end of each
> chapter but I would like the in-text citation to work (if that is
> possible). If not, is it possible compile the whole product but only
> output a certain page range?

You need a reference to the environment file from within the component
file, otherwise ConTeXt has no knowledge of the bib file.

Wolfgang

* Re: Command line arguments on context project
@ 2022-12-18 21:27 ` Alan Braslau via ntg-context
From: Alan Braslau via ntg-context @ 2022-12-18 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jethro Djan via ntg-context; +Cc: Alan Braslau

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:14:33 +0000
Jethro Djan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> 2. How do I get CoTeXt to recognise the ref.bib file when I run the
> components not the product?
>
> For context, I don’t want the references printed at the end of each
> chapter but I would like the in-text citation to work (if that is
> possible). If not, is it possible compile the whole product but only
> output a certain page range?

You need to include the \usebtxdataset [ref.bib] in an environment file
that gets read each run.

A limitation, or rather a design goal, of the bibliography subsystem is
that citations will not work unless you render the bibliography list.
Why is this? The reasoning is that it makes no sense to give list
numbers or list labels (e.g. APA : authoryear) if there is no list, for
these numbers or labels depend on the context (bibliography by chapter,
by part, by volume, or by book, for example).

We have not done much with same page, footnote bibliographic
references. I do not use that style as I always like having a
bibliography list.

Best is to compile the entire product and then use some tool (qpdf,
pdftk, etc.) to select out a certain range of pages. ConTeXt has gotten
fast enough that this should not be a real problem.

Alan

* Re: Command line arguments on context project
@ 2022-12-19 15:01   ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-12-19 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Braslau via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022, Alan Braslau via ntg-context wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:14:33 +0000
> Jethro Djan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> > 2. How do I get CoTeXt to recognise the ref.bib file when I run the
> > components not the product?
> >
> > For context, I don’t want the references printed at the end of each
> > chapter but I would like the in-text citation to work (if that is
> > possible). If not, is it possible compile the whole product but only
> > output a certain page range?
>
> You need to include the \usebtxdataset [ref.bib] in an environment file
> that gets read each run.
>
> A limitation, or rather a design goal, of the bibliography subsystem is
> that citations will not work unless you render the bibliography list.

You can, of course, cheat:

    \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\placelistofpublications}

> Why is this? The reasoning is that it makes no sense to give list
> numbers or list labels (e.g. APA : authoryear) if there is no list, for
> these numbers or labels depend on the context (bibliography by chapter,
> by part, by volume, or by book, for example).

Aditya

* Re: Command line arguments on context project
@ 2022-12-19 18:07     ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2022-12-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Schuster

Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context schrieb am 19.12.2022 um 16:01:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2022, Alan Braslau via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:14:33 +0000
>> Jethro Djan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> 2. How do I get CoTeXt to recognise the ref.bib file when I run the
>>> components not the product?
>>>
>>> For context, I don’t want the references printed at the end of each
>>> chapter but I would like the in-text citation to work (if that is
>>> possible). If not, is it possible compile the whole product but only
>>> output a certain page range?
>> You need to include the \usebtxdataset [ref.bib] in an environment file
>> that gets read each run.
>>
>> A limitation, or rather a design goal, of the bibliography subsystem is
>> that citations will not work unless you render the bibliography list.
> You can, of course, cheat:
>
>      \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\placelistofpublications}

There is a ConTeXt mechanism for this:

\startnointerference
     \placelistofpublications
\stopnointerference