* placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-04 15:44 Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-04-04 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

It seems this is for you, Hans:

It would be nice if placefigure can be able to detect if the best place
is the top or the bottom of the page accordingly to its call, i.e.:
if placefigure call is near to the top -> figure will go to the top
else figure will go to the bottom...

Cheers,

Renaud

* Re: placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-04 17:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-04 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It seems this is for you, Hans:
>
> It would be nice if placefigure can be able to detect if the best
> place is the top or the bottom of the page accordingly to its call, i.e.:
> if placefigure call is near to the top -> figure will go to the top
> else figure will go to the bottom...
hm, as long as it's ok that it's a rough heuristic ... i'll send you something to play with

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-04 17:53   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> It would be nice if placefigure can be able to detect if the best
>> place is the top or the bottom of the page accordingly to its call,

A related point, which I didn't fiugre out how for my own TeX
figure-placement macros, is correct sequential numbering when some
figures are at the top of the page.  Some pseudocode on one page:

=============== snip ===================
\ref{figure:narrow} is a narrow figure.

\figuremacro{figure:narrow}{narrowfig.1}{A narrow figure.}

\ref{figure:wide} is a wide figure.

\figuremacro{figure:wide}{widefig.1}{A wide figure}
=============== snip ===================

Here \figuremacro figures out (sorry) that narrow figures go in the
margin and wide figures go at the top of the page.  But the page will
look funny: The narrow figure will be numbered, say, Figure 10, and
the wide figure will be Figure 11, but Figure 11 will appear before
Figure 10 on the page.  Which is disconcerting to the reader.

One solution is to look at all the figures on the page and then number
them, instead of numbering them when \figuremacro is executed.  I
couldn't figure out how to do that in my TeX macros, but maybe there
are hooks into the context output routine for such tricks?

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-04 21:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-04 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>>> It would be nice if placefigure can be able to detect if the best
>>> place is the top or the bottom of the page accordingly to its call,
>>>

> A related point, which I didn't fiugre out how for my own TeX
> figure-placement macros, is correct sequential numbering when some
> figures are at the top of the page.  Some pseudocode on one page:
>
> =============== snip ===================
> \ref{figure:narrow} is a narrow figure.
>
> \figuremacro{figure:narrow}{narrowfig.1}{A narrow figure.}
>
> \ref{figure:wide} is a wide figure.
>
> \figuremacro{figure:wide}{widefig.1}{A wide figure}
> =============== snip ===================
>
> Here \figuremacro figures out (sorry) that narrow figures go in the
> margin and wide figures go at the top of the page.  But the page will
> look funny: The narrow figure will be numbered, say, Figure 10, and
> the wide figure will be Figure 11, but Figure 11 will appear before
> Figure 10 on the page.  Which is disconcerting to the reader.
>
> One solution is to look at all the figures on the page and then number
> them, instead of numbering them when \figuremacro is executed.  I
> couldn't figure out how to do that in my TeX macros, but maybe there
> are hooks into the context output routine for such tricks?

maybe

\setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]

does what you want

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-04 21:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-04 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>>> It would be nice if placefigure can be able to detect if the best
>>> place is the top or the bottom of the page accordingly to its call,
>>>

> A related point, which I didn't fiugre out how for my own TeX
> figure-placement macros, is correct sequential numbering when some
> figures are at the top of the page.  Some pseudocode on one page:
>
> =============== snip ===================
> \ref{figure:narrow} is a narrow figure.
>
> \figuremacro{figure:narrow}{narrowfig.1}{A narrow figure.}
>
> \ref{figure:wide} is a wide figure.
>
> \figuremacro{figure:wide}{widefig.1}{A wide figure}
> =============== snip ===================
>
> Here \figuremacro figures out (sorry) that narrow figures go in the
> margin and wide figures go at the top of the page.  But the page will
> look funny: The narrow figure will be numbered, say, Figure 10, and
> the wide figure will be Figure 11, but Figure 11 will appear before
> Figure 10 on the page.  Which is disconcerting to the reader.

this 'choose between locations' feature is kind of present but only with
'here' as fallback but it's trivial to make that configurable:

% first a new key

\startconstants            dutch                     english
                           german                    czech
                           italian                   romanian
                           french

                 fallback: terugval                  fallback
                           fallback                  fallback
                           fallback                  fallback
                           fallback
\stopconstants

% use that key

\long\def\dofloat#1#2#3#4%
  {\dosetfloatbox{#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}%
   \doifelsevaluenothing{\??fl#4\c!criterium}
     {\dogetfloatbox{#1}\empty}
     {\ifdim\wd\floatbox>\getvalue{\??fl#4\c!criterium}\relax
        \postcenterfloatbox{\wd\floatbox}% else we get left aligned
        %dogetfloatbox{#1}\v!here        % see details/pascal

\dogetfloatbox{#1}{\executeifdefined{\??fl#4\c!fallback}\v!here}% PATCHED
      \else
        \dogetfloatbox{#1}\empty
      \fi}}

% pass the new location (will be done differently, hack

\def\dogetfloatbox#1#2%
  {\ifvisible
     \doifelsenothing{#2}
       {\getfromcommalist[#1][1]%
        \@EA\beforesplitstring\commalistelement\at:\to\floatmethod
        \@EA\aftersplitstring \commalistelement\at:\to\floatcolumn
        \@EA\aftersplitstring \floatcolumn\at*\to\floatrow
        \@EA\beforesplitstring\floatcolumn\at*\to\floatcolumn
        % todo: nog algemeen otr
        \ifx\OTRSETsetpreferedcolumnslot\undefined\else
          \OTRSETsetpreferedcolumnslot\floatcolumn\floatrow
        \fi}
       {\let\floatcolumn\empty
        \let\floatrow\empty
        \edef\floatmethod{#2}}%
     \doifundefined{\string\floatmethod\floatmethod}
       {\let\floatmethod\v!here}%
     \getvalue{\string\floatmethod\floatmethod}[\floatmethod,#1]% PATCHED
   \fi}

\setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]

% we use the marginwidth as criterium

\setupfloat[figure][criterium=\marginwidth,fallback=bottom]

\starttext

\placefigure[bottom]{}{} \input tufte
\placefigure[left]{}{} \input tufte
\placefigure[left]{}{\framed[width=.8\marginwidth]{}} \input tufte

\stoptext

(we needed that feature a  couple of years ago in a project -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-04 23:23       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-04 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> maybe
> \setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]
> does what you want

I think I want the opposite.  The documentation for \setupfloats at
<http://texshow.contextgarden.net/> says

  New option:
  numbering           yes nocheck (default yes)
    nocheck causes no renumbering so it preserves figure's source order

My problem was that the source order (which is the order of first
reference, probably) is not the order on the page.  The wide figure
floats to the top of the page (because it's wide) even though its
source position is later than the narrower figure that fits in the
margin.

So 'numbering=yes' will number according to position on the page?

@ 2006-04-05  7:37         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-05  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> maybe
>> \setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]
>> does what you want
>>

> I think I want the opposite.  The documentation for \setupfloats at
> <http://texshow.contextgarden.net/> says
>
>   New option:
>   numbering           yes nocheck (default yes)
>     nocheck causes no renumbering so it preserves figure's source order
>
> My problem was that the source order (which is the order of first
> reference, probably) is not the order on the page.  The wide figure
> floats to the top of the page (because it's wide) even though its
> source position is later than the narrower figure that fits in the
> margin.
>
> So 'numbering=yes' will number according to position on the page?

no, actually floats will be renumbered automatically unless nocheck is given; the problem is that the order in which margins etc flush plays a role then.

I can imagine another solution but i need a dark rainy non-busy day for that

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-05  7:54           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-05  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
>>So 'numbering=yes' will number according to position on the page?
>>
> no

To avoid confusion:

When 'page' refers to the typeset result, then Hans' answer actually
means 'yes'. Or it should, at least. I remember files where I had to
run texexec twice though. I am not sure if that bug still happens,
so be careful.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-05 15:43             ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
> >>So 'numbering=yes' will number according to position on the page?
> >>
> > no
>
> To avoid confusion:
>
> When 'page' refers to the typeset result, then Hans' answer actually
> means 'yes'. Or it should, at least. I remember files where I had to
> run texexec twice though. I am not sure if that bug still happens,
> so be careful.

Right, I meant in pages of the typeset result.  I'll watch for the need
to run texexec and make a minimal example if I find the problem.

Meanwhile I've been experimenting in baby steps, and numbering=yes does
what I want, as does specifying nothing about numbering.  But
numbering=nocheck doesn't stop it, so I'm confused by what the nocheck
option does (doesn't cause me problems since the default is what I want,
but I'm curious).

Probaby I'm just using an old version of context since the texshow-web
says that numbering=nocheck is a new option.  My last attempt at
upgrading didn't go well (I have tetex-3.0) but maybe it's time to try
again.

$ texexec --version

 TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2005.01.31
               cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.3.28  mes: english

With this output on the file

$ texexec 2m
[...snip...]
systems         : begin file 2m at line 6
(/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex)
figures         : dimensions of ./a.1 loaded from figurefile itself
(./2m.tuo)
floatblocks     : 1 renumbered / figure 1 => 2
floatblocks     : 1 placed
(/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/context/sample/knuth.tex)
figures         : dimensions of ./a.2 loaded from figurefile itself
floatblocks     : 2 renumbered / figure 2 => 1
floatblocks     : 2 placed
[1.1]
systems         : end file 2m at line 13
[...snip...]

So the figures get renumbered.

Here's the 2m.tex file:
\setuplayout[textwidth=3.6in, rightmargin=2in]
\useexternalfigure[mpg][a.1]
\useexternalfigure[mpg2][a.2]
\setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]

\starttext
\input tufte
\placefigure[rightmargin]{first in source file.}{\externalfigure[mpg]}
\par
\input knuth
\placefigure[top]{second in source file.}{\externalfigure[mpg2]}
\par
\stoptext

Where a.mp to produce a.1 and a.2 is:
beginfig(1)
fill unitsquare scaled 1in withcolor red;
endfig;
beginfig(2)
fill unitsquare scaled 1in withcolor green;
endfig;
end

-Sanjoy

`A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.'
   - Bertrand de Jouvenal

* Re: placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-05 15:48       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-05 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> > Here \figuremacro figures out (sorry) that narrow figures go in the
> > margin and wide figures go at the top of the page.  But the page will
> > look funny: The narrow figure will be numbered, say, Figure 10, and
> > the wide figure will be Figure 11, but Figure 11 will appear before
> > Figure 10 on the page.  Which is disconcerting to the reader.
> >
> this 'choose between locations' feature is kind of present but only with
> 'here' as fallback but it's trivial to make that configurable:

[useful code snipped]

Thanks very much -- I'll work through the code and learn some conTeXt to
boot.

> no, actually floats will be renumbered automatically unless nocheck is
> given; the problem is that the order in which margins etc flush plays
> a role then.
>
> I can imagine another solution but i need a dark rainy non-busy day
> for that

Taco's msg about no meaning yes made me wonder: what's the special case
or problem you were thinking of?

Perhaps Holland in the winter can offer the dark, rainy day (just like
here in Boston, USA) but the 'non-busy' may be more difficult.

@ 2006-04-05 16:53         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Taco's msg about no meaning yes made me wonder: what's the special case
> or problem you were thinking of?

probably that the automatic renumbering sometimes interferes with non
trivial sequential flushing
> Perhaps Holland in the winter can offer the dark, rainy day (just like
> here in Boston, USA) but the 'non-busy' may be more difficult.

i remember a pretty hot boston made even more hot because i had to carry
the nice big book "inventing the charles river" around -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-05 18:06               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-05 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Meanwhile I've been experimenting in baby steps, and numbering=yes does
> what I want, as does specifying nothing about numbering.  But
> numbering=nocheck doesn't stop it, so I'm confused by what the nocheck
> option does (doesn't cause me problems since the default is what I want,
> but I'm curious).

even more minimal:

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]

\starttext
\input tufte \placefigure[rightmargin]{first} {\externalfigure[dummy]} \par
\input knuth \placefigure[top]        {second}{\externalfigure[dummy]} \par
\stoptext

does commenting the no check line makes a differnece?

nocheck: top=2, margin=1
yes    : top=1, margin=2  (default behaviour)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-05 19:37                 ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

From:    Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
> \useMPlibrary[dum]
> \setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]
> \starttext
> \input tufte \placefigure[rightmargin]{first} {\externalfigure[dummy]} \par
> \input knuth \placefigure[top]        {second}{\externalfigure[dummy]} \par
> \stoptext
>
> does commenting the no check line makes a differnece?
>
> nocheck: top=2, margin=1
> yes    : top=1, margin=2  (default behaviour)

No difference.  I get the default behavior in both cases, and both log
files mention the renumbering:

$ texexec 3.tex > somewhere
$ mv 3.log 3-nocheck.log
[comment out the nocheck line]
$ texexec 3.tex > somewhereelse
$ grep renumber 3{,-nocheck}.log
3.log:floatblocks     : 1 renumbered / figure 1 => 2
3.log:floatblocks     : 2 renumbered / figure 2 => 1
3-nocheck.log:floatblocks     : 1 renumbered / figure 1 => 2
3-nocheck.log:floatblocks     : 2 renumbered / figure 2 => 1

TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
               1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
               1992-2004
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2005.01.31
               cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.3.28  mes: english

Maybe this context installation is too old for nocheck.  On the other
hand, it should complain then?

-Sanjoy

* Re: placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-05 20:46                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-05 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>                context : ver: 2005.01.31
>                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.3.28  mes: english
>
> Maybe this context installation is too old for nocheck.  On the other
> hand, it should complain then?

i remember a bug (actually the mechanism is rather old, so the bug must have been a temp one)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-06  2:20                     ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-06  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> >                context : ver: 2005.01.31
> >                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.3.28  mes: english
> >
> > Maybe this context installation is too old for nocheck.  On the other
> > hand, it should complain then?
> >
> i remember a bug (actually the mechanism is rather old, so the bug
> must have been a temp one)

I tried it on context live (2006.04.04), and it works as hoped (figure 2
is the on on top of the page with numbering=nocheck, otherwise it's
numbered in page order).  Definitely I need to do an upgrade.

But I noticed another problem: The context-live pdf is black/white,
whereas on my system the figures come out in color.  I could reproduce
the difference with the following:

$ texexec --pdf 3  => 3.pdf is B/W

versus

$ texexec 3.tex
$ dvips 3
$ ps2pdf 3.ps   => 3.pdf is in color

texexec --color makes the two pathways give identical pdf files, but
shouldn't they also be identical (and B/W) without the --color?  Or is
that too much of a mess, to inquire into what colors the metapost (or
other EPS) figures are doing.

@ 2006-04-06  8:01                       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-06  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> $ texexec 3.tex
> $ dvips 3
> $ ps2pdf 3.ps   => 3.pdf is in color

This is 'wrong'. Normally, your output should be b/w unless
you have \setupcolors[state=start] in your document somewhere,
but ConTeXt does not know how to convert your images to
greyscale in the dvips case.

(actually, with a newish dvips, it should be possible to add
a postscript header file to do the conversion, but I do not
know enough about that to set it up).

Taco

* Re: placefigure feature request ?
@ 2006-04-12 22:12       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> this 'choose between locations' feature is kind of present but only
> with 'here' as fallback but it's trivial to make that configurable:

I've been experimenting a bit with the code, and it is much appreciated.

I added \unprotect..\protect and it compiled fine.  The figure numbering
is the order in the source files, thanks to the numbering=nocheck;
reading down the page it is 3->1->2.  Then I felt bold and commented out
the numbering=nocheck.  It does one clockwise rotation of the numbers:

floatblocks     : no block given
floatblocks     : 1 renumbered / figure 1 => 3
(/home/sanjoy/texmf/tex/context/base/pdfr-ec.tex)
floatblocks     : 1 placed
(/home/sanjoy/texmf/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex)
floatblocks     : no block given
floatblocks     : 2 renumbered / figure 2 => 1
floatblocks     : 2 placed
(/home/sanjoy/texmf/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex)
floatblocks     : 3 renumbered / figure 3 => 2
floatblocks     : 3 placed

If it had done a anticlockwise rotation, the figure numbers would have
been right (1->2->3 reading down the page).  Is it because the figure
renumbering does not know of the change to fallback=bottom (from
fallback=here)?

               texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2006
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2006.03.25 13:21
               cont-en : ver: 2006.03.25 13:21  fmt: 2006.4.11  mes: english

Here's the .tex file itself with the above modifications:

% first a new key

\startconstants            dutch                     english
                           german                    czech
                           italian                   romanian
                           french

                 fallback: terugval                  fallback
                           fallback                  fallback
                           fallback                  fallback
                           fallback
\stopconstants

% use that key

\unprotect

[...]

\protect

% \setupfloats[numbering=nocheck]

% we use the marginwidth as criterium

\setupfloat[figure][criterium=\marginwidth,fallback=bottom]

\starttext

\placefigure[bottom]{1}{} \input tufte
\placefigure[left]{2}{} \input tufte
\placefigure[left]{3}{\framed[width=.9\marginwidth]{}} \input tufte

\stoptext

@ 2006-04-13  7:57         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-13  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>> this 'choose between locations' feature is kind of present but only
>> with 'here' as fallback but it's trivial to make that configurable:
>>

> I've been experimenting a bit with the code, and it is much appreciated.
>
> I added \unprotect..\protect and it compiled fine.  The figure numbering
> is the order in the source files, thanks to the numbering=nocheck;
> reading down the page it is 3->1->2.  Then I felt bold and commented out
> the numbering=nocheck.  It does one clockwise rotation of the numbers:

\unprotect

\def\dofloatreference
  {\doifnot\@@bknumbering\v!text
     {\doglobal\increment\numberedfloat
      \doifelse\@@bknumbering\v!text % alternative to yes|page
        {\let\next\immediatewriteutilitycommand}
        {\let\next\writeutilitycommand}%
      \expanded{\next
        {\noexpand\twopassentry
        {\s!float}%
        {\numberedfloat}%
        {\composedsectionnumber}}}}}

\protect

\setupfloats[numbering=text]

subtle difference in some cases

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-13 13:30           ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-13 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [code for text key]
> \setupfloats[numbering=text]

I included the code for numbering=text, to make the tex file below.
Sadly, the figures are numbered 3->1->2 (i.e. as if numbering=nocheck
were given).  I also tried the context live and got the same order.  Am
I doing something silly?

-Sanjoy

@ 2006-04-14  8:52             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-14  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>> [code for text key]
>> \setupfloats[numbering=text]
>>

> I included the code for numbering=text, to make the tex file below.
> Sadly, the figures are numbered 3->1->2 (i.e. as if numbering=nocheck
> were given).  I also tried the context live and got the same order.  Am
> I doing something silly?

also redefine:

\def\redofloatorder#1%
  {\doifnotinset\@@bknumbering{\v!nocheck,\v!text}
     {\doglobal\increment\nofplacedfloats\relax
      \gettwopassdata\s!float
      \iftwopassdatafound
        \doifnot\composedsectionnumber\twopassdata
          {\edef\oldcomposedsectionnumber{\composedsectionnumber}%
           \xdef\composedsectionnumber{\twopassdata}%
           \showmessage\m!floatblocks1{\nofplacedfloats,#1
\oldcomposedsectionnumber,\composedsectionnumber}}%
      \fi}}

and the text options works as expected

> -Sanjoy

> % first a new key
>
> \startconstants            dutch                     english
>                            german                    czech
>                            italian                   romanian
>                            french
>
>                  fallback: terugval                  fallback
>                            fallback                  fallback
>                            fallback                  fallback
>                            fallback
> \stopconstants
>
> % use that key
>
> \unprotect
>
> \long\def\dofloat#1#2#3#4%
>   {\dosetfloatbox{#1}{#2}{#3}{#4}%
>    \doifelsevaluenothing{\??fl#4\c!criterium}
>      {\dogetfloatbox{#1}\empty}
>      {\ifdim\wd\floatbox>\getvalue{\??fl#4\c!criterium}\relax
>         \postcenterfloatbox{\wd\floatbox}% else we get left aligned
>         %dogetfloatbox{#1}\v!here        % see details/pascal
>
> \dogetfloatbox{#1}{\executeifdefined{\??fl#4\c!fallback}\v!here}% PATCHED
>       \else
>         \dogetfloatbox{#1}\empty
>       \fi}}
>
> % pass the new location (will be done differently, hack
>
> \def\dogetfloatbox#1#2%
>   {\ifvisible
>      \doifelsenothing{#2}
>        {\getfromcommalist[#1][1]%
>         \@EA\beforesplitstring\commalistelement\at:\to\floatmethod
>         \@EA\aftersplitstring \commalistelement\at:\to\floatcolumn
>         \@EA\aftersplitstring \floatcolumn\at*\to\floatrow
>         \@EA\beforesplitstring\floatcolumn\at*\to\floatcolumn
>         % todo: nog algemeen otr
>         \ifx\OTRSETsetpreferedcolumnslot\undefined\else
>           \OTRSETsetpreferedcolumnslot\floatcolumn\floatrow
>         \fi}
>        {\let\floatcolumn\empty
>         \let\floatrow\empty
>         \edef\floatmethod{#2}}%
>      \doifundefined{\string\floatmethod\floatmethod}
>        {\let\floatmethod\v!here}%
>      \getvalue{\string\floatmethod\floatmethod}[\floatmethod,#1]% PATCHED
>    \fi}
>
> \def\dofloatreference
>   {\doifnot\@@bknumbering\v!text
>      {\doglobal\increment\numberedfloat
>       \doifelse\@@bknumbering\v!text % alternative to yes|page
>         {\let\next\immediatewriteutilitycommand}
>         {\let\next\writeutilitycommand}%
>       \expanded{\next
>         {\noexpand\twopassentry
>         {\s!float}%
>         {\numberedfloat}%
>         {\composedsectionnumber}}}}}
>
> \protect
>
> \setupfloats[numbering=text]
>
> % we use the marginwidth as criterium
>
> \setupfloat[figure][criterium=\marginwidth,fallback=bottom]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placefigure[bottom]{1}{} \input tufte
> \placefigure[left]{2}{} \input tufte
> \placefigure[left]{3}{\framed[width=.9\marginwidth]{}} \input tufte
>
> \stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-14 13:59               ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-14 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> also redefine:
>
> \def\redofloatorder#1%
>   {\doifnotinset\@@bknumbering{\v!nocheck,\v!text}
>      {\doglobal\increment\nofplacedfloats\relax
>       \gettwopassdata\s!float
>       \iftwopassdatafound
>         \doifnot\composedsectionnumber\twopassdata
>           {\edef\oldcomposedsectionnumber{\composedsectionnumber}%
>            \xdef\composedsectionnumber{\twopassdata}%
>            \showmessage\m!floatblocks1{\nofplacedfloats,#1
> \oldcomposedsectionnumber,\composedsectionnumber}}%
>       \fi}}
>
> and the text options works as expected

Hmm, I still get 3->1->2 as the order with

@ 2006-04-14 14:09                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

>> also redefine:
>>
>> \def\redofloatorder#1%
>>   {\doifnotinset\@@bknumbering{\v!nocheck,\v!text}
>>      {\doglobal\increment\nofplacedfloats\relax
>>       \gettwopassdata\s!float
>>       \iftwopassdatafound
>>         \doifnot\composedsectionnumber\twopassdata
>>           {\edef\oldcomposedsectionnumber{\composedsectionnumber}%
>>            \xdef\composedsectionnumber{\twopassdata}%
>>            \showmessage\m!floatblocks1{\nofplacedfloats,#1
>> \oldcomposedsectionnumber,\composedsectionnumber}}%
>>       \fi}}
>>
>> and the text options works as expected
>>

> Hmm, I still get 3->1->2 as the order with
>
> \setupfloats[numbering=text]

are you sure that you put the code in the right spot? (both float order patched!)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-14 16:45                   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-14 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> are you sure that you put the code in the right spot? (both float order
> patched!)

I hadn't thought the location mattered until just now!  But I'm not sure
where the ideal spot is.  Oh, do you mean that I should patch
page-flt.tex itself (and rebuild the formats, of course)?  It has one
\redofloatorder.  Instead I had just been inserting your magic in the
example source file itself, like so: