* [NTG-context] Unknown units es and dk
@ 2024-03-23 12:57 Jan Ulrich Hasecke via ntg-context
From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke via ntg-context @ 2024-03-23 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I saw this in (the btw great) bachotex-stepbystep presentation

\definepapersize
[example]
[width=8.5es,
height=11es]

\setuptextbackground
[location=paragraph,
backgroundcolor=MyColors:4,
backgroundoffset=1dk,
frame=off]

The units "es" and "dk" are unknown to me.
What does they mean?

TIA
juh

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Unknown units es and dk
@ 2024-03-23 13:27 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-03-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Ulrich Hasecke via ntg-context schrieb am 23.03.2024 um 13:57:
> I saw this in (the btw great) bachotex-stepbystep presentation
>
> \definepapersize
> [example]
> [width=8.5es,
> height=11es]
>

> \setuptextbackground
> [location=paragraph,
> backgroundcolor=MyColors:4,
> backgroundoffset=1dk,
> frame=off]
>

> The units "es" and "dk" are unknown to me.
> What does they mean?

Regarding the dk unit: https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb42-3/tb132hagen-dk.pdf

A quote from the Luametatex source regarding the es unit:

The Edith and Tove were introduced at BachoTeX 2023 and because the
error message
was still in feet we decided to adapt it accordingly so now in addition
it reports
different values, including Theodores little feet measured by Arthur as
being roughly
five Ediths.

Here is the fitting error message when you pass a dimension too large
for TeX:

Dimension too large", I can't work with sizes bigger than
about 19 feet (45 Theodores as of 2023), 575 centimeters,
Toves, 230 Ediths or 16383 points. Continue and I'll use
the largest value I can.

You should also take a look at the lowlevel register manual
(lowlevel-registers.pdf)
which explains how you can define your own units.

Wolfgang

@ 2024-03-23 18:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-03-23 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Jan Ulrich Hasecke via ntg-context schrieb am 23.03.2024 um 13:57:
>> I saw this in (the btw great) bachotex-stepbystep presentation
>>
>> \definepapersize
>> [example]
>> [width=8.5es,
>> height=11es]
>>

>> \setuptextbackground
>> [location=paragraph,
>> backgroundcolor=MyColors:4,
>> backgroundoffset=1dk,
>> frame=off]
>>

>> The units "es" and "dk" are unknown to me.
>> What does they mean?
>
> Regarding the dk unit: https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb42-3/tb132hagen-dk.pdf
The es, ts and eu are discussed here:

https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb44-2/tb137egger-edith.pdf

it also discusses how the team callibrated these units by sampling texies.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-03-23 19:31     ` Hraban Ramm
From: Hraban Ramm @ 2024-03-23 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 23.03.24 um 19:05 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 3/23/2024 2:27 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Regarding the dk unit: https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb42-3/tb132hagen-dk.pdf
> The es, ts and eu are discussed here:
>
> https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb44-2/tb137egger-edith.pdf

In German, I call these "Spaßeinheiten" (units of measurement =
"Maßeinheiten"; Spaß = fun; "units of leisurement" might be a good
translation).

Hraban

@ 2024-03-24  8:29     ` Jan Ulrich Hasecke via ntg-context
From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke via ntg-context @ 2024-03-24  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Jan Ulrich Hasecke

Am 23.03.24 um 19:05 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> The es, ts and eu are discussed here:
>
> https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb44-2/tb137egger-edith.pdf
>
> it also discusses how the team callibrated these units by sampling
> texies.

Ah, I see. :-)

Thanks

@ 2024-03-24  9:40       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-03-24  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/23/2024 8:31 PM, Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 23.03.24 um 19:05 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 3/23/2024 2:27 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Regarding the dk unit: https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb42-3/tb132hagen-dk.pdf
>> The es, ts and eu are discussed here:
>>
>> https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb44-2/tb137egger-edith.pdf
>
> In German, I call these "Spaßeinheiten" (units of measurement =
> "Maßeinheiten"; Spaß = fun; "units of leisurement" might be a good
> translation).
Apart from being fun they are also useful, for instance the "ts" (and
dk) make good framed offsets when making examples. Of the "serious" unit
is only use pt, mm and cm (and bp in the backend).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl