* How to achieve true double space text in ConTeXt?
       [not found] <1447723482.573551.1642436322359.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-01-17 16:18 ` Joel via ntg-context
From: Joel via ntg-context @ 2022-01-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Joel

I need to display one article within my book that is in double space, like what is a basic requirement in US colleges for turning in papers. Basically, I need readers to have lots of space above the text to be able to write some notes above every line.

This is a line of text.
% <-- here is the space between lines
% <-- this space here is as tall as a line of text.
% <-- here is the next space between lines
This is the next visible line of text.

The closest I can get is the "big" setting in `\setupinterlinespace`, but it isn't big enough. I've also tried manual measurements in cm, but I have no idea which setting is typographically good.

\setupinterlinespace[on, big]
    \startlinenumbering
        \input article
    \stoplinenumbering
\setupinterlinespace[off]

How can I achieve double space text in ConTeXt?
--Joel

* Re: How to achieve true double space text in ConTeXt?
@ 2022-01-17 16:40   ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2022-01-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joel via ntg-context schrieb am 17.01.2022 um 17:18:
> I need to display one article within my book that is in double space,
> like what is a basic requirement in US colleges for turning in papers.
> Basically, I need readers to have lots of space above the text to be
> able to write some notes above every line.
>
> This is a line of text.
> % <-- here is the space between lines
> % <-- this space here is as tall as a line of text.
> % <-- here is the next space between lines
> This is the next visible line of text.
>
> The closest I can get is the "big" setting in `\setupinterlinespace`,
> but it isn't big enough. I've also tried manual measurements in cm, but
> I have no idea which setting is typographically good.
>
> \setupinterlinespace[on, big]
>      \startlinenumbering
>          \input article
>      \stoplinenumbering
> \setupinterlinespace[off]
>
> How can I achieve double space text in ConTeXt?

The \setupinterlinspace accepts also numbers to choose a multiple of the
default distance or you pass a dimension where you set a fixed value for
the distance between the baselines.

%%%% begin example
\showgrid

\starttext

\samplefile{lorem}

\page

\start \setupinterlinespace[2]% 2 lines, also possible: 1.5, 3, ...
\samplefile{lorem}\par
\stop

\page

\start \setupinterlinespace[line=5.6ex]% also possible:
\setupinterlinespace[5.6ex]
\samplefile{lorem}\par
\stop

\stoptext