* [NTG-context] Very bizarre bug
@ 2024-04-07 17:08 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2024-04-07 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

this is bizarre, but hear me out: a file that I have has a mixture of
xml, TeX and Lua. It compiles cleanly, no problem, on macos and linux. I
also have a little raspberry pi on which I have installed lmtx. The file
compiles, BUT: it has one additional page. The first page of the
document is empty and has the word "on" in the upper left hand corner of
the text area. I have checked several times, it always comes out like
this. Everything else is exactly the same - context version, file and
environment files (everything under git, so really identical). The "on"
does not appear if I just make a "hello world" document on the raspi. So
my question is: how can I begin to explore where this word creeps in? I
suspect it's something in the linux-aarch64 tree or some test for this
architecture that is the culprit, but what would be a good way to trace it?

All best

Thomas

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Very bizarre bug
@ 2024-04-07 17:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-07 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Hi everybody,
>
> this is bizarre, but hear me out: a file that I have has a mixture of
> xml, TeX and Lua. It compiles cleanly, no problem, on macos and linux. I
> also have a little raspberry pi on which I have installed lmtx. The file
> compiles, BUT: it has one additional page. The first page of the
> document is empty and has the word "on" in the upper left hand corner of
> the text area. I have checked several times, it always comes out like
> this. Everything else is exactly the same - context version, file and
> environment files (everything under git, so really identical). The "on"
> does not appear if I just make a "hello world" document on the raspi. So
> my question is: how can I begin to explore where this word creeps in? I
> suspect it's something in the linux-aarch64 tree or some test for this
> architecture that is the culprit, but what would be a good way to trace it?

can you make a format with line 25 of context.mkxl uncommented to see if
you get a message (not production, just a test)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-04-07 17:37   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2024-04-07 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

On 4/7/24 19:21, Hans Hagen wrote:
> can you make a format with line 25 of context.mkxl uncommented to see if
> you get a message (not production, just a test)
>
> Hans

That should give a message "some spurious input in line..." in the
output or the log, right? No, did not see such a message.

@ 2024-04-07 17:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-07 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 4/7/24 19:21, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> can you make a format with line 25 of context.mkxl uncommented to see
>> if you get a message (not production, just a test)
>>
>> Hans
>
> That should give a message "some spurious input in line..." in the
> output or the log, right? No, did not see such a message.
ok, so this "on" ... where does it come from .. you can try to run with
\tracingall and then quit the run after the first and search the log for
!on to get a clue

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-04-07 20:14       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2024-04-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/7/24 19:44, Hans Hagen wrote:
> ok, so this "on" ... where does it come from .. you can try to run with
> \tracingall and then quit the run after the first and search the log for
> !on to get a clue
>
> Hans

Found it - and I'm embarrassed to say it was in my own environment file,
not in the lmtx distribution. I have a Lua function that prints
information about the computer model and the operating system into a
layer. Unfortunately, there was an "elseif" in there somewhere which
should catch exceptions (such as a raspberry pi), but instead of
concatenating the relevant return values to display in the layer, I had
a ' context (" on ")' in there (probably for debugging) which I forgot
about.

Sorry for the noise - I was getting too sophisticated for my own good...

@ 2024-04-07 20:33         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-07 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 4/7/24 19:44, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> ok, so this "on" ... where does it come from .. you can try to run
>> with \tracingall and then quit the run after the first and search the
>> log for !on to get a clue
>>
>> Hans
>
> Found it - and I'm embarrassed to say it was in my own environment file,
> not in the lmtx distribution. I have a Lua function that prints
> information about the computer model and the operating system into a
> layer. Unfortunately, there was an "elseif" in there somewhere which
> should catch exceptions (such as a raspberry pi), but instead of
> concatenating the relevant return values to display in the layer, I had
> a ' context (" on ")' in there (probably for debugging) which I forgot
> about.
>
> Sorry for the noise - I was getting too sophisticated for my own good...
No problem, is it a rpi 5? If so, how does that one perform?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-04-07 20:37           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2024-04-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/7/24 22:33, Hans Hagen wrote:
> No problem, is it a rpi 5? If so, how does that one perform?

Yes, it's a Pi 5 with 8GB of RAM, and I'm very satisfied with the
performance. I use it headless for backup, file serving, and the
occasional context job that ties the cpu up for a long time, and it's
plenty fast for what I do with it. Runs less hot than the 3B that I have
in my office for the same purpose (and supposedly the 4, but I've never
had one of those).