* arm osx
@ 2021-04-10 15:21 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-04-10 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to Mojca's persistent efforts we now generate arm osx binaries on
the build infrastructure, so lmtx now ships native arm bins for apples.
There are also intel solaris builds now but no installers for those
platforms (yet).

Hans

* Re: arm osx
@ 2021-04-11  9:39 ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-04-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Great news on the Apple front! Thanks to Mojca and ConTeXt.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

On 10/04/2021 16:21, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Mojca's persistent efforts we now generate arm osx binaries
> on the build infrastructure, so lmtx now ships native arm bins for
> apples. There are also intel solaris builds now but no installers for
> those platforms (yet).
>
> Hans

>                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arm osx
@ 2021-04-11 17:47 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2021-04-11 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Mojca and Hans for the new binary for MacOS ARM: yesterday I installed it on my new MacBook Pro ARM and everything works like a charm.

Just for the persons who run into difficulties when running
	sh install.sh
and see that MacOS 11 prevents mtxrun to run properly, in the Finder you should find the file

	context-osx-arm64/bin/mtxrun

and then you press Control while clicking on it. You’ll see a pop up window, and you choose Open, and when the Finder tells you whether you really want to open that file, you say YES…
After this, the install script does what it has to do and you don’t need anymore to authorize mtxrun to run.

Best regards: Otared

> On 10 Apr 2021, at 17:21, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Mojca's persistent efforts we now generate arm osx binaries on the build infrastructure, so lmtx now ships native arm bins for apples. There are also intel solaris builds now but no installers for those platforms (yet).
>
> Hans

* Re: arm osx
@ 2021-04-11 18:27   ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-04-11 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

An alternative way is to go to Preferences>>Security and Privacy>>General.
And then click on Open anyway and that's it sorted.
Best Wishes
Keith

@ 2021-04-23 11:11     ` Charles Doherty
From: Charles Doherty @ 2021-04-23 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all (especially Keith who successfully got Context running on the new M1 Mac OS ARM)

Again thanks to Mojca for providing the Mac OS ARM download. I recently replace my old Mac with the new ARM one.

I am having difficulty getting ConTeXt to work.  This is what I have done and the information from the console.

I downloaded:

context-osx-arm64.zip

In terminal:  cd /Users/charlesdoherty/context-osx-arm64

Ran sh install.sh

and all seems ok (following Keith’s advice on privacy).

I made an engine for TeXShop based on what worked before:

#!/bin/Zsh
export PATH=$PATH:~/context-osx-arm64/bin:~/context-osx-arm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
~/context-osx-arm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context --directives="system.showerror" --autopdf "$1" --purgeall

I made it executable.

When I typeset a file in TeXShop using this engine I get:

/Users/charlesdoherty/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ARM.engine:3: bad CPU type in executable: /Users/charlesdoherty/context-osx-arm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun

I have tried various options to no avail but I would really appreciate some help on this (longhand rather than cryptic would be really helpful).

Thanks,
Charlie

> On 11 Apr 2021, at 19:27, Keith McKay <mckaymeister@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> An alternative way is to go to Preferences>>Security and Privacy>>General. And then click on Open anyway and that's it sorted.
> Best Wishes
> Keith
>

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 18:47 Otared Kavian, <otared@gmail.com <mailto:otared@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you Mojca and Hans for the new binary for MacOS ARM: yesterday I installed it on my new MacBook Pro ARM and everything works like a charm.
>
> Just for the persons who run into difficulties when running
>         sh install.sh
> and see that MacOS 11 prevents mtxrun to run properly, in the Finder you should find the file
>
>         context-osx-arm64/bin/mtxrun
>
> and then you press Control while clicking on it. You’ll see a pop up window, and you choose Open, and when the Finder tells you whether you really want to open that file, you say YES…
> After this, the install script does what it has to do and you don’t need anymore to authorize mtxrun to run.
>
> Best regards: Otared

*******************************
CHARLES DOHERTY
13 BANCROFT ROAD
TALLAGHT
DUBLIN
D24 YH2V
home: +353 1 2447483
Mobile: +353 863868629
charles.doherty@icloud.com

* Re: arm osx
@ 2021-04-23 14:45       ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-04-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Charles

Firstly. I can take no credit for getting Context running on the new M1
Mac OS ARM. Hans and his team are the real heroes here. I just
downloaded the zip file and off I went.

I don't normally use TexShop, I use Texworks, but I have it set up on my
machine. I cant remember how I setup the engine but I checked it out and
it runs as expected. Here is the engine I use:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#!/bin/bash

export
PATH=/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/pothole/data/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin

/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun
--autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I did exactly as you did only I unzipped into /data/contextarm64. I did
this because I have another directory into which I unzipped the intel
version. It means I have two ConText options, intel and arm. The only
other differences are my engine is a bash file and I don't remember
making it executable.

Hope this helps. I'm happy to help off list if you want.

Best Wishes

Keith

* Re: arm osx
@ 2021-04-23 14:53         ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-04-23 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sorry. I put a typo in the engine file in my reply. It should be

#!/bin/bash

export
PATH=/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin

@ 2021-04-25  8:58           ` Charles Doherty
From: Charles Doherty @ 2021-04-25  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Keith and Mojca,

I followed the information provided buy Keith below and everything is working just fine. Mojca I directed my request to Keith in the first instance since I felt it was most likely my lack of knowledge of how to get things going that was the problem (as usual). So thank you for your quick response and offer to test. And thank you Keith for your example below it did the trick.

Very best wishes,
Charlie

> On 23 Apr 2021, at 15:53, Keith McKay <mckaymeister@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry. I put a typo in the engine file in my reply. It should be
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export PATH=/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
>
> /Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Keith

*******************************
CHARLES DOHERTY
13 BANCROFT ROAD
TALLAGHT
DUBLIN
D24 YH2V
home: +353 1 2447483
Mobile: +353 863868629
charles.doherty@icloud.com

* Re: arm osx
@ 2021-04-25 16:52             ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-04-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great! I'm glad it worked OK!
Best Wishes
Keith

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021, 09:59 Charles Doherty, <charles.doherty@icloud.com>
wrote:

> Dear Keith and Mojca,
>
> I followed the information provided buy Keith below and everything is
> working just fine. Mojca I directed my request to Keith in the first
> instance since I felt it was most likely my lack of knowledge of how to get
> things going that was the problem (as usual). So thank you for your quick
> response and offer to test. And thank you Keith for your example below it
> did the trick.
>
> Very best wishes,
> Charlie
>
> On 23 Apr 2021, at 15:53, Keith McKay <mckaymeister@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry. I put a typo in the engine file in my reply. It should be
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export
> PATH=/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
>
> /Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun
> --autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Keith
>

> *******************************
> CHARLES DOHERTY
> 13 BANCROFT ROAD
> TALLAGHT
> DUBLIN
> D24 YH2V
> home: +353 1 2447483
> Mobile: +353 863868629
> charles.doherty@icloud.com

* Re: arm osx
@ 2022-05-29 18:35               ` Steffen Wolfrum via ntg-context
From: Steffen Wolfrum via ntg-context @ 2022-05-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

the first, clean install of MacOS ARM64bits I downloaded from https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation

Next I followed the thread below (exchanging texmf-osx-64/bin to texmf-osx-arm64/bin) and everything works like a charm (ConTeXt ver: 2022.01.21 20:13 LMTX) !

Today I wanted to update, using
sh install.sh

After that, running the same TeXShop engine as before gives an error:

Users/steffen/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ConTeXt LMTX_ARM.engine: line 3: 19971 Killed: 9               /Users/steffen/context-osx-arm64/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"

What did I do wrong?

Steffen

> Am 25.04.2021 um 18:52 schrieb Keith McKay <mckaymeister@gmail.com>:
>
> Great! I'm glad it worked OK!
> Best Wishes
> Keith
>
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021, 09:59 Charles Doherty, <charles.doherty@icloud.com> wrote:
> Dear Keith and Mojca,
>
> I followed the information provided buy Keith below and everything is working just fine. Mojca I directed my request to Keith in the first instance since I felt it was most likely my lack of knowledge of how to get things going that was the problem (as usual). So thank you for your quick response and offer to test. And thank you Keith for your example below it did the trick.
>
> Very best wishes,
> Charlie
>
>> On 23 Apr 2021, at 15:53, Keith McKay <mckaymeister@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry. I put a typo in the engine file in my reply. It should be
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> export PATH=/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
>>
>> /Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"
>>
>> Best Wishes
>>
>> Keith
>>

> *******************************
> CHARLES DOHERTY
> 13 BANCROFT ROAD
> TALLAGHT
> DUBLIN
> D24 YH2V
> home: +353 1 2447483
> Mobile: +353 863868629
> charles.doherty@icloud.com

* Re: arm osx
@ 2022-05-29 20:15                 ` Keith McKay via ntg-context
From: Keith McKay via ntg-context @ 2022-05-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Keith McKay

Hi Steffen

I have TeXshop setup on my mac mini M1 but I rarely use it. I've just
ran it on a file I have been working on and it runs OK. Here is my engine:

%%%%%%

#!/bin/bash export
PATH=$PATH:/Users/pothole/data/contextmacosarm64/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin
/Users/pothole/data/contextmacosarm64/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/mtxrun
--autogenerate --script context --directives="system.error" --autopdf "$1"

%%%%

The only difference I can see is --directives="system.error" . Don't
know if this helps.

I'm running:

system > ConTeXt ver: 2022.05.09 17:24 LMTX fmt: 2022.5.11 int:
english/english

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

On 29/05/2022 19:35, Steffen Wolfrum via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the first, clean install of MacOS ARM64bits I downloaded fromhttps://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation
>
> Next I followed the thread below (exchanging texmf-osx-64/bin to texmf-osx-arm64/bin) and everything works like a charm (ConTeXt ver: 2022.01.21 20:13 LMTX) !
>
> Today I wanted to update, using
> sh install.sh
>
> After that, running the same TeXShop engine as before gives an error:
>
> Users/steffen/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ConTeXt LMTX_ARM.engine: line 3: 19971 Killed: 9               /Users/steffen/context-osx-arm64/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> Steffen
>

>> Am 25.04.2021 um 18:52 schrieb Keith McKay<mckaymeister@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Great! I'm glad it worked OK!
>> Best Wishes
>> Keith
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021, 09:59 Charles Doherty,<charles.doherty@icloud.com>  wrote:
>> Dear Keith and Mojca,
>>
>> I followed the information provided buy Keith below and everything is working just fine. Mojca I directed my request to Keith in the first instance since I felt it was most likely my lack of knowledge of how to get things going that was the problem (as usual). So thank you for your quick response and offer to test. And thank you Keith for your example below it did the trick.
>>
>> Very best wishes,
>> Charlie
>>
>>> On 23 Apr 2021, at 15:53, Keith McKay<mckaymeister@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry. I put a typo in the engine file in my reply. It should be
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>>
>>> export PATH=/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
>>>
>>> /Users/pothole/data/contextarm64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context --autopdf "$1"
>>>
>>> Best Wishes
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>> *******************************
>> CHARLES DOHERTY
>> 13 BANCROFT ROAD
>> TALLAGHT
>> DUBLIN
>> D24 YH2V
>> home: +353 1 2447483
>> Mobile: +353 863868629
>> charles.doherty@icloud.com

* Re: arm osx
@ 2022-05-30  7:06                   ` Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
From: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context @ 2022-05-30  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 29 May 2022, at 22:15, Keith McKay via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Steffen
>
> I have TeXshop setup on my mac mini M1 but I rarely use it.

I do not use TeXshop, but I did just upgrade to an M1 Mac, and I had some issues with
intel binaries 'sticking around’. Perhaps this page helps (esp. point 3)?

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/tell-apps-optimized-for-m1-apple-silicon-macs/

Best wishes,
Taco

—