* [NTG-context] Re: Math alignment issue
       [not found] ` <CAHy-LL9HzV1BfeKHEMj2RxZDdj8o8+CgOM2ux+_R+YNLxh-NOQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2024-01-17  9:37   ` Otared Kavian
       [not found]     ` <CAHy-LL8yAXGdyeeMhBAHDa69w6Sv6kmUWx77+S3FnErcE0VwmQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Otared Kavian @ 2024-01-17  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mikael,

Thank you for your reply. When I typeset the example you sent me, that is

%begin 240117-1-bis.tex

\definemathsimplealign[alignedcases]
		[left={\startmathfenced[cases]},
		right=\stopmathfenced,
		align={1:right,2:left,3:left},
		strut=yes]

\setupformula
  [location=left]

\starttext

\samplefile{knuthmath}

\startplaceformula
	\startformula
		\startalignedcases
			\NC u'(t) - \nabla \cdot (a(x)\nabla u) + Vu \NC = 0      \NC \mtext{bla bla bla}     \NR
			\NC u(x,0)                                   \NC = u_0(x) \NC \mtext{bla bla}         \NR
      \NC u(t,\sigma)                              \NC = 0      \NC \mtext{bla bla bla bla} \NR
		\stopalignedcases
	\stopformula
\stopplaceformula

\samplefile{knuthmath}

\startplaceformula
	\startformula
		\startalign[location=packed,n=2,m=2,align={1:right,2:left},fences=cases]
			\NC u'(t) - \nabla \cdot (a(x)\nabla u) + Vu \NC = 0      \NC \NC \mtext{bla bla bla}     \NR
			\NC u(x,0)                                   \NC = u_0(x) \NC \NC \mtext{bla bla}         \NR
      \NC u(t,\sigma)                              \NC = 0      \NC \NC \mtext{bla bla bla bla} \NR
		\stopalign
	\stopformula
\stopplaceformula

\samplefile{knuthmath}

\stoptext
% end 240117-1-bis.tex

I get something different than the PDF you sent me: the formulas run into the text just above them, as you can see in the attached PDF. I am using ConTeXt LMTX version 2024.01.08 on MacOS 11.7.10. I don’t see what is wrong with my installation…

Best regards: Otared

> On 17 Jan 2024, at 09:47, Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Otared,
>
> I'm not sure how you get that code, since you do not show the source.
> From last upload, there is location=packed for align, so now that can
> be used "inline" in formulas. See attached. I hope it helps.
>
> Best, Mikael
>
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 9:41 PM Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mickael,
>>
>> I wish you a happy new year !
>> I apologize for writing you outside the mailing list: this is du eto the fact that I am attaching two screenshots in order to show the problem I encounter, and these documents cannot go through the mailing list.
>>
>> In a document written a year and half ago I have the following definition:
>>
>> \definemathmatrix[alignedcases]
>> [align={right,left,left},
>> distance=3pt,
>> left={\left\{},
>> right={\right.},
>> style=\displaystyle]
>> in order to typeset multi-lines formulas regrouped with a left brace. This is analogous to math-cases, but I need three columns instead of two.
>>
>> When the alignment in maths changed I changed the above definition to the following:
>>
>> \definemathsimplealign[alignedcases]
>> [left={\startmathfenced[cases]},
>> right=\stopmathfenced,
>> align={1:right,2:left,3:left},
>> strut=yes]
>>

>> The result of the typesetting with LMTX in 2022 is shown in the attached document « math-align-2022.pdf »,
>>
>> But when the same documentis  typeset with the latest version from 2024-01-08, it does not show the formulas correctly, as one can see in the attached screenshot « math-align-2024-01-08.pdf ».
>>
>> I cannot reproduce the issue on a short document, but since there have been some changes in the way the math alignment is treated now, I wonder whether you can help me how to change my definitions accordingly.
>> In order to let th elist be informed, once the issue may be solved without the screenshots, I may post a message there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, and best regards: Otared
>>

> <240117-1.mkxl><240117-1.pdf>

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 4308 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: 240117-1-bis.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 3804 bytes --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Math alignment issue
       [not found]         ` <CAHy-LL_AooFD_FWCG=urOom8AOLc23Ntm_t+LK-DWAfemF16-A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2024-01-17 12:43           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2024-01-17 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mikael,

I installed anew the latest version and I get still the same bizarre result with math alignment.

Please can someone on the list typeset the following in order to see whether the result is correct or not ?

[...]

Thanks in advance: Otared

> [...]
> Hi Mikael,
>
> Actually it seems that the math alignment stuff has been broken even in version 2023-09-26, since I get also something incorrect, as you can see in the attached PDF.
>
> Many thanks for your help: Otared
>

>> On 17 Jan 2024, at 11:06, Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com <mailto:mickep@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Then there was a problem with the last update. Maybe there will be a new upload soon that works better for you.
>>
>> /Mikael
>>
>> Den ons 17 jan. 2024 10:37Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com <mailto:otared@gmail.com>> skrev:
>> Hi Mikael,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. When I typeset the example you sent me, that is
>>
>> %begin 240117-1-bis.tex
>>
>> \definemathsimplealign[alignedcases]
>> 		[left={\startmathfenced[cases]},
>> 		right=\stopmathfenced,
>> 		align={1:right,2:left,3:left},
>> 		strut=yes]
>>
>> \setupformula
>>   [location=left]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \samplefile{knuthmath}
>>
>> \startplaceformula
>> 	\startformula
>> 		\startalignedcases
>> 			\NC u'(t) - \nabla \cdot (a(x)\nabla u) + Vu \NC = 0      \NC \mtext{bla bla bla}     \NR
>> 			\NC u(x,0)                                   \NC = u_0(x) \NC \mtext{bla bla}         \NR
>>       \NC u(t,\sigma)                              \NC = 0      \NC \mtext{bla bla bla bla} \NR
>> 		\stopalignedcases
>> 	\stopformula
>> \stopplaceformula
>>
>> \samplefile{knuthmath}
>>
>> \startplaceformula
>> 	\startformula
>> 		\startalign[location=packed,n=2,m=2,align={1:right,2:left},fences=cases]
>> 			\NC u'(t) - \nabla \cdot (a(x)\nabla u) + Vu \NC = 0      \NC \NC \mtext{bla bla bla}     \NR
>> 			\NC u(x,0)                                   \NC = u_0(x) \NC \NC \mtext{bla bla}         \NR
>>       \NC u(t,\sigma)                              \NC = 0      \NC \NC \mtext{bla bla bla bla} \NR
>> 		\stopalign
>> 	\stopformula
>> \stopplaceformula
>>
>> \samplefile{knuthmath}
>>
>> \stoptext
>> % end 240117-1-bis.tex
>>
>> I get something different than the PDF you sent me: the formulas run into the text just above them, as you can see in the attached PDF. I am using ConTeXt LMTX version 2024.01.08 on MacOS 11.7.10. I don’t see what is wrong with my installation…
>>
>> Best regards: Otared
>>

>>> On 17 Jan 2024, at 09:47, Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com <mailto:mickep@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Otared,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how you get that code, since you do not show the source.
>>> From last upload, there is location=packed for align, so now that can
>>> be used "inline" in formulas. See attached. I hope it helps.

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

@ 2024-01-17 13:10     ` Jeong Dal via ntg-context
From: Jeong Dal via ntg-context @ 2024-01-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared,

I got the same output in which there is an overlap of the formula on the last line of the paragraph.  The following line shows the version of my installation.

system          >
system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2024.01.08 11:23 LMTX  fmt: 2024.1.17  int: english/english
system          >

Best wishes,

Dalyoung

@ 2024-01-17 13:14       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2024-01-17 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Dalyoung,

Thank you for testing, which shows that there is a bug somewhere.
Mikael who follows the math stuff is aware of the problem, and I guess Hans will be informed.

Best wishes for 2024: Otared

> On 17 Jan 2024, at 14:10, Jeong Dal via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Dear Otared,
>
> I got the same output in which there is an overlap of the formula on the last line of the paragraph.  The following line shows the version of my installation.
>
> system          >
> system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2024.01.08 11:23 LMTX  fmt: 2024.1.17  int: english/english
> system          >
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Dalyoung
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
> archive  : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
> wiki     : https://wiki.contextgarden.net

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

@ 2024-01-17 13:19         ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2024-01-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 2:16 PM Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Dalyoung,
>
> Thank you for testing, which shows that there is a bug somewhere.
> Mikael who follows the math stuff is aware of the problem, and I guess Hans will be informed.

Since it is working locally here, It will likely be fixed
automatically with the next upload.

/Mikael

@ 2024-01-17 17:22           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2024-01-17 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mikael,

Thank you so much for your attention and help.
Is there a way to get a working version before Hans does a new upload? Or even a temporary patch?
This is because I have to prepare a presentation for next Monday and I have to use extensively math align…

Best regards: Otared

@ 2024-01-18  1:37             ` Jeong Dal via ntg-context
From: Jeong Dal via ntg-context @ 2024-01-18  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

Thanks for the new upload.
It clears the issue of the math alignment.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl