* default parameter in \definefont
@ 2013-02-25 23:00 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-02-25 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some time back Wolfgang advised me to use statements like this:
\definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold*default at 70bp]

I cannot find what the *default parameter does. Can someone educate me?
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: default parameter in \definefont
@ 2013-02-26  7:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-02-26  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.02.2013 um 00:00 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> Some time back Wolfgang advised me to use statements like this:
> \definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold*default at 70bp]
>
> I cannot find what the *default parameter does. Can someone educate me?

When you use a font in MkIV you have to specify which features of the font
should be enabled/disabled, to do this you define first a list for them with
the \definefontfeature command, e.g.

  \definefontfeature[myfeatures][liga=yes,onum=yes,…]

For the main fonts in the document which are loaded with \setupbodyfont
these settings are applied in the typescripts, e.g.

  \defintfontsynonym[Serif][MyRegularFont][features=myfeatures]

but when you load a single font with \definefont you apply
the list as argument to the font name after the asterisk.

When you want only a bigger version of the serif or sans version of your
document you can say \definefont[SansBold at 70bp] without applying
the list of features because the are already set in the typescripts.

Wolfgang

* Re: default parameter in \definefont
@ 2013-02-26 15:04   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-02-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:18:25 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 26.02.2013 um 00:00 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:
>
> > Some time back Wolfgang advised me to use statements like this:
> > \definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold*default at 70bp]
> >
> > I cannot find what the *default parameter does. Can someone educate
> > me?
>
> When you use a font in MkIV you have to specify which features of the
> font should be enabled/disabled, to do this you define first a list
> for them with the \definefontfeature command, e.g.
>
>   \definefontfeature[myfeatures][liga=yes,onum=yes,___]
>

> For the main fonts in the document which are loaded with
> \setupbodyfont these settings are applied in the typescripts, e.g.
>
>   \defintfontsynonym[Serif][MyRegularFont][features=myfeatures]
>
> but when you load a single font with \definefont you apply
> the list as argument to the font name after the asterisk.
>

> When you want only a bigger version of the serif or sans version of
> your document you can say \definefont[SansBold at 70bp] without
> applying the list of features because the are already set in the
> typescripts.
>
> Wolfgang

Is there a document or documents whare all this knowledge is
dispensed?

I hesitate to trouble you with a string of questions,
one by one. Right now the two critical files are:
\input formatting.tex

\usemodule [simplefonts]
\definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold*default at 70bp]
\definefont [subtitle][MyriadPro-Bold*default at 25bp]
\definefont [gauthor][MinionPro-Regular*default at 25bp]
followed by:
\input title.tex
\startstandardmakeup[align=middle]

\startstyle[titlefont]
  Classic COBOL
\stopstyle

\vfil

\style[subtitle]{A Concise Guide}

\vfil
\null
\vfil
\style[gauthor]{John Culleton}
\vfil
\style[subtitle]{Wexford Press}
\stopstandardmakeup
--------------------------------

And the error messages indicate that MKIV cannot find those otf
files but they exist in /usr/share/fonts/OTF. The run completes
but other fonts and sizes are used for the title page.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: default parameter in \definefont
@ 2013-02-26 16:43     ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-02-26 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:04:38 -0500
john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:18:25 +0100
> Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Am 26.02.2013 um 00:00 schrieb john Culleton
> > <John@wexfordpress.com>:
> And the error messages indicate that MKIV cannot find those otf
> files but they exist in /usr/share/fonts/OTF. The run completes
> but other fonts and sizes are used for the title page.

Solved my problem the ugly way. I moved the fonts to the
directory where I was compiling the document. Added otf suffix to
the \definefont file names. Now MKIV can find the fonts.

A better solution is of course welcome.

--

@ 2013-02-26 16:55       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-02-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–02–26 john Culleton wrote:

> > files but they exist in /usr/share/fonts/OTF. The run completes
> > but other fonts and sizes are used for the title page.
> >
> Solved my problem the ugly way. I moved the fonts to the
> directory where I was compiling the document. Added otf suffix to
> the \definefont file names. Now MKIV can find the fonts.
>
> A better solution is of course welcome.

∙ Did you set OSFONTDIR?
∙ Does OSFONTDIR include /usr/share/fonts/OTF?
∙ Did you run mtxrun -script fonts -reload?
∙ Do these commands return the fonts?

  mtxrun -script fonts -list -all minion
  mtxrun -script fonts -list -all myriad

Marco

* Re: default parameter in \definefont
@ 2013-02-26 17:26         ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-02-26 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:55:07 +0100
Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 2013___02___26 john Culleton wrote:
>
> > > files but they exist in /usr/share/fonts/OTF. The run completes
> > > but other fonts and sizes are used for the title page.
> > >
> > Solved my problem the ugly way. I moved the fonts to the
> > directory where I was compiling the document. Added otf suffix to
> > the \definefont file names. Now MKIV can find the fonts.
> >
> > A better solution is of course welcome.
>
> ___ Did you set OSFONTDIR?
> ___ Does OSFONTDIR include /usr/share/fonts/OTF?
> ___ Did you run mtxrun -script fonts -reload?
> ___ Do these commands return the fonts?
>
>   mtxrun -script fonts -list -all minion
>   mtxrun -script fonts -list -all myriad
>
> Marco

After working on the problem some more following the above the
answers are yes to all. Now I will disassemble my kludges one by
one to see at what point the doc stops working.

My thanks to you and Wolfgang.
--

@ 2013-02-27 11:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-02-27 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)