* Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-12 15:28 Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context
From: Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context @ 2023-02-12 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

I am writing to you about a problem with ConTeXt LMTX and TeXShop 5.11 on
macOS 12.6.3 (MacBook Air M2).

Yesterday I installed LMTX on my computer following the instructions here:

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_ConTeXt_LMTX_on_MacOS

The LMTX tree is correctly installed in the directory I've chosen:

charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % which luametatex
/Users/charlie/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-LMTX/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/luametatex
charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % type luametatex
luametatex is
/Users/charlie/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-LMTX/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/luametatex
charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % luametatex --version
This is LuaMetaTeX, Version 2.10.06

Execute 'luametatex --credits' for credits and version details.

There is NO warranty. Redistribution of this software is covered by the
terms
of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option) any later
version. For more information about these matters, see the file named
COPYING
and the LuaMetaTeX source.

Functionality : level 20230126
Support : context@ntg.nl
Copyright : The Lua(Meta)TeX Team(s) (2005-2022+)

The LuaMetaTeX project is related to ConTeXt development. This macro package
tightly integrates TeX and MetaPost in close cooperation with Lua. Updates
will
happen in sync with ConTeXt and when needed. Don't be fooled by unchanged
dates:
long-term stability is the objective.

However, I also get this:

charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % luametatex
startup error : no format file given, quitting

Also, I created the TeXShop engine as indicated on the page (I've done it
before with no problems).
However, now when I run LMTX from editor to compose a source, the source is
compiled with MkIV Standalone, which I have in another folder (
/Users/charlie/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-MkIV). LMTX doesn't even work from
a terminal, of course.

The curious thing is that even by launching the ConTeXt present in TeX
Live, what really works is always MkIV Standalone.

Do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong?

Thank you very much
Tommaso

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-12 16:34 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-12 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/12/23 16:28, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> However, I also get this:
>
> charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % luametatex
> startup error : no format file given, quitting

Hi Tommaso,

my ConTeXt LMTX is fully functional and I get this message too.

> Also, I created the TeXShop engine as indicated on the page (I've done
> it before with no problems).
> However, now when I run LMTX from editor to compose a source, the source
> is compiled with MkIV Standalone, which I have in another folder
> (/Users/charlie/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-MkIV). LMTX doesn't even work
> from a terminal, of course.

I’m on Linux, so no TeXShop here.

BTW, I’m not sure "luametatex" may work as you intend (without any
format file).

> The curious thing is that even by launching the ConTeXt present in TeX
> Live, what really works is always MkIV Standalone.

I don‘t think ConTeXt from TeX Live includes LMTX
(https://ctan.org/search?phrase=luametatex).

> Do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong?

My guess is that when you invoke ConTeXt, you are running it from TeX
Live (or from other than the wiki installation).

To check that, what do you get from "which context"?

Which is your output from "context --version"?

My system reads:

  mtx-context     | current version: 2023.02.07 19:06

When in doubt run the following (given the paths you provided):

  cd ~/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-LMTX/
  sh ./install.sh
  cd && context --version

And you should get what my system reads (unless there is an update today).

I hope it helps,

Pablo

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-12 16:56   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/12/23 17:34, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 2/12/23 16:28, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> Do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong?
>
> My guess is that when you invoke ConTeXt, you are running it from TeX
> Live (or from other than the wiki installation).

Hi Tommaso,

I forgot to mention, to avoid path clashes, you may invoke ConTeXt in
the following way (it is only one line and there is no space between lines):

export PATH=~/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-LMTX/\
tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/:$PATH && context source-file.tex

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-12 20:26     ` Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context
From: Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context @ 2023-02-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Pablo.  Can I write to you privately?  My problem may not matter to
everyone.

Tommaso

@ 2023-02-13  7:23       ` Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context
From: Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context @ 2023-02-13  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Jean-Pierre Delange

Tommaso,

Most likely you're not the only one looking to properly install CTX on
MacOSX. Also all the tricks that allow to do it may interest other
people...

Le 12/02/2023 à 21:26, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context a écrit :
> Thanks, Pablo.  Can I write to you privately?  My problem may not
> matter to everyone.
>
> Tommaso
>
> Il dom 12 feb 2023, 17:56 Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> ha scritto:
>
>     On 2/12/23 17:34, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>     > On 2/12/23 16:28, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context wrote:
>     >> [...]
>     >> Do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong?
>     >
>     > My guess is that when you invoke ConTeXt, you are running it
>     from TeX
>     > Live (or from other than the wiki installation).
>
>     Hi Tommaso,
>
>     I forgot to mention, to avoid path clashes, you may invoke ConTeXt in
>     the following way (it is only one line and there is no space
>     between lines):
>
>     export PATH=~/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-LMTX/\
>     tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin/:$PATH && context source-file.tex
>
>     Just in case it might help,
>
>     Pablo

Jean-Pierre Delange
Ancients&Moderns
Professeur Agrégé de Philosophie (HC)

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-13  8:32   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-02-13  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 2/12/2023 5:34 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 2/12/23 16:28, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> However, I also get this:
>>
>> charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % luametatex
>> startup error : no format file given, quitting
>
> Hi Tommaso,
>
> my ConTeXt LMTX is fully functional and I get this message too.
sure, because that message is okay: luametatex cannot do anything useful
until it is properly initialized so you need to either run it in ini
mode or provide a format file (made in ini mode)

just ask yourself: what would you expect the 'luametatex' command
(without any commandline argumment) to do ... it has to be told how to
read files, what primitives to enable, how to locate and load fonts, how
to produce backend code ... not much different from running 'lua' or
whatever scripting language that expects some source to work with

the 'mtxrun' and 'context' commands are basically 'luametatex' with a
different name so that it knows what script / format to load

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-13  8:36 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-02-13  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 2/12/2023 4:28 PM, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context wrote:

> The curious thing is that even by launching the ConTeXt present in TeX
> Live, what really works is always MkIV Standalone.
There should be

mtxrun  -> luametatex
context -> luametatex

links plus

mxtrun.lua
context.lua

in the binary path.

I have no mac so i cannot check these things (i can test windows intel
and linux intel/arm but osx is a gamble)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-13  8:38         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-02-13  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 2/13/2023 8:23 AM, Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context wrote:
> Tommaso,
>
> Most likely you're not the only one looking to properly install CTX on
> MacOSX. Also all the tricks that allow to do it may interest other
> people...
also keep in mind that when you install both lmtx and mkiv that
luametatex will be the runner for luatex, so in order to run mkiv one
then needs:

context --luatex

on texlive (2023) that will be the way to go now which basically means
that as mkii is frozen, mkiv is now frozen in favor of mkxl (aka lmtx)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
@ 2023-02-13 17:22   ` Luis Montgomery via ntg-context
From: Luis Montgomery via ntg-context @ 2023-02-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)