* [NTG-context] Local alternative to \input
@ 2024-01-04 16:12 Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2024-01-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a document that is getting a lot of mark-up instructions for
creating tables and placing figures. I would like to move this out of the
main text flow. The easiest way would be using \input, but i rather place
all this at the bottom of the file and just refer to it with something like
\localinput or so to a textblock at the bottom of the same file. What would
be the easiest way to implement this?

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Local alternative to \input
@ 2024-01-04 16:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-01-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

eroen schrieb am 04.01.2024 um 17:12:
> I have a document that is getting a lot of mark-up instructions for
> creating tables and placing figures. I would like to move this out of
> the main text flow. The easiest way would be using \input, but i
> rather place all this at the bottom of the file and just refer to it
> with something like \localinput or so to a textblock at the bottom of
> the same file. What would be the easiest way to implement this?

Can you provide a minimal example, natural tables provide a mechanism to
separate layout and content but we can't know what you use in your document.

Wolfgang

@ 2024-01-04 16:27 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
       [not found]   ` <b8802a76-0411-427a-932d-59c4e3ae2abb@gmail.com>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-04 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.01.24 um 17:12 schrieb Jeroen:
> I have a document that is getting a lot of mark-up instructions for
> creating tables and placing figures. I would like to move this out of
> the main text flow. The easiest way would be using \input, but i rather
> place all this at the bottom of the file and just refer to it with
> something like \localinput or so to a textblock at the bottom of the
> same file. What would be the easiest way to implement this?

Usually, the best way to load setups is using \environment at the top of
your file.

I don’t understand the sense in placing this in the bottom, and since
it’s against the flow of instructions it would at least involve a second
pass, and I don’t see how anything would work without loading it on top.

You could load an environment with a command line option, if you must
avoid it in your file.

Hraban

@ 2024-01-04 19:12     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-04 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.01.24 um 18:00 schrieb Jeroen:
> I just would like to have a lot of mark-up for combined figures and
> tables etc moved out of the way, similar to this. I am loosing the
> general documetn flow because of all this markup. Would there be a
> construction similar to this:
>
> \starttext
>
> \environment foo
> \environment bar
>
> \startenvironment foo
> this is a lot of text
> \stopenvironment
>
> \startenvironment bar
> and this is another piece of text
> \stopenvironment
>
> \stoptext

An environment is a separate file.
\environment is like \input with a few more checks, e.g. it loads the
file only once.

e.g.

-- file "env_foo.tex" --
\startenvironment env_foo
% settings
\stopenvironment
--

-- file document.tex --
\environment env_foo

\starttext
% whatever
\stoptext
--

Instead of the call within your document, you can also call

context --environment=env_foo.tex document

(Usually that makes only sense in XML workflows.)

Hraban

@ 2024-03-04  5:14       ` Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2024-03-04  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

With a single environment it seems to work, though when I expand it to
multiple, it does not seem to work anymore

\starttext

SomeText \\
\environment aaa \\
SomeText \\
\environment bbb \\
SomeText \\

\startenvironment aaa
\samplefile{lorem}
\stopenvironment

\startenvironment bbb
\samplefile{tufte}
\stopenvironment

\stoptext

@ 2024-03-04  9:43         ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2024-03-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aren’t environments used for setups (and not for textual content). Maybe a buffer may be what you want ?

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/startbuffer

Best,

Denis

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>  / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

@ 2024-03-04 15:49           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-03-04 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 04.03.24 um 10:43 schrieb Denis Maier via ntg-context:
> Hi,
>
> Aren’t environments used for setups (and not for textual content). Maybe
> a buffer may be what you want ?
>
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/startbuffer

Yes, buffers are the way to go for (textual) contents, while setups or
environments are for settings – they handle whitespace differently.

Apparently I misunderstood the intention when I gave the answer about
environments, sorry!

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl