* [NTG-context] Chemnitz, Leipzig, Call for Poster
@ 2024-01-07  8:59 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-07  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

in March, there’ll be Linux Days in Chemnitz/Germany (Chemnitzer
Linuxtage, https://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2024/en/), an OSS fair.
DANTE usually has a booth there, and this time I’ll help.

I’d like to have a poster that shows off ConTeXt/MetaFun features.
Do you have suggestions or (even better) would you like to create it?
It would be nice to have for further events (last year I presented
ConTeXt at FrOSCon and CCCamp and lacked a poster).

In the following week and nearby, there’s Leipzig book fair (including
Manga-Comic-Con), https://www.leipziger-buchmesse.de/
It’s always a great experience!
Our little publishing house will have a booth again (full of books made
with ConTeXt) – please visit me, if you come!

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Chemnitz, Leipzig, Call for Poster
@ 2024-01-07 16:11 ` garulfo
From: garulfo @ 2024-01-07 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

does this kind of poster would make sense ?

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Cover_Pages#Poster_01_-_proposal_for_Libre_Planet_2021

@ 2024-01-07 18:58   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 07.01.24 um 17:11 schrieb garulfo:
> does this kind of poster would make sense ?
>
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Cover_Pages#Poster_01_-_proposal_for_Libre_Planet_2021

Thank you, that looks good but it’s not what I had in mind.

I meant a poster _about_ ConTeXt, not only made with our toolset (I have
a stack of books for that). Maybe something about typography.

Here’s how the DANTE booth at FrOSCon 2023 looked like:
https://yemaya.fiee.net/s/qTkeXAmXmJeosJc
(The “mindmap” diagram on the left shows projects supported by DANTE, in
the middle a drawing by Duane Bibby, on the right a Tux with its TikZ
source code in the back.)
We also had posters that show the architecture of TeX/LaTeX, but they
were seriously outdated.

Some elements that might fit:
– some example code (like from Mikael’s BachoTeX presentation)
– anatomy of a word and a formula (with all those little boxes and
measures), maybe also in Arabic
– dodo & cow drawings from Mikael’s math manual
– overview of layout areas (I re-made Sietse’s drawing from the wiki for
my book)
- workflow diagrams
– parts of LuaMetaTeX
– artwork by Eçir Baff (art-aleatoire.com)
– Hans’ recent christmas card / memory game artwork

But I don’t want just a wild collection of stuff, there should be
something connecting them. It should be interesting to look at as well
as basic information about ConTeXt.

@ 2024-01-10  7:00 ` juh via ntg-context
From: juh via ntg-context @ 2024-01-10  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: juh

Dear Hraban,

Am Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 09:59:14AM +0100 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
> I’d like to have a poster that shows off ConTeXt/MetaFun features.
> Do you have suggestions or (even better) would you like to create it?
> It would be nice to have for further events (last year I presented ConTeXt
> at FrOSCon and CCCamp and lacked a poster).

I just submitted a talk about how we use Markdown, Pandoc and ConTeXt at
Hostsharing eG, so maybe we'll meet in Chemnitz.

A poster would be nice. ConTeXt/MetaFun are overwhelmingly flexible and powerful. It is hard to come up with a good idea. Who is targeted?

ConTeXt is interesting for people that want to

integrate a typesetting system in a publishing environment, because
ConTeXt does not stand in your way as LaTeX often do and has many
programming features (lua, xml ...) or

typeset very customized layouts.

These two target groups are very different. Integratable building blocks
for a complex publishing system or programmable layout machine – sorry, I am just
brainstorming, but I like the idea of a poster.

juh

--
Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

@ 2024-01-10  8:37   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-01-10  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juh via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 1/10/2024 8:00 AM, juh via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear Hraban,
>
> Am Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 09:59:14AM +0100 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>> I’d like to have a poster that shows off ConTeXt/MetaFun features.
>> Do you have suggestions or (even better) would you like to create it?
>> It would be nice to have for further events (last year I presented ConTeXt
>> at FrOSCon and CCCamp and lacked a poster).
>
> I just submitted a talk about how we use Markdown, Pandoc and ConTeXt at
> Hostsharing eG, so maybe we'll meet in Chemnitz.
>
> A poster would be nice. ConTeXt/MetaFun are overwhelmingly flexible and powerful. It is hard to come up with a good idea. Who is targeted?
>
> ConTeXt is interesting for people that want to
>
> integrate a typesetting system in a publishing environment, because
> ConTeXt does not stand in your way as LaTeX often do and has many
> programming features (lua, xml ...) or
>
> typeset very customized layouts.
>
> These two target groups are very different. Integratable building blocks
> for a complex publishing system or programmable layout machine – sorry, I am just
> brainstorming, but I like the idea of a poster.
maybe what you could do is collect statements like these (users saying
how they use / percieve it) and put that on a poster

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-01-10  9:17   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-10  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 10.01.24 um 08:00 schrieb juh via ntg-context:
> Am Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 09:59:14AM +0100 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>> I’d like to have a poster that shows off ConTeXt/MetaFun features.
>> Do you have suggestions or (even better) would you like to create it?
>> It would be nice to have for further events (last year I presented ConTeXt
>> at FrOSCon and CCCamp and lacked a poster).
>
> I just submitted a talk about how we use Markdown, Pandoc and ConTeXt at
> Hostsharing eG, so maybe we'll meet in Chemnitz.

Great! Then I can leave out this workflow and refer to your talk.

> A poster would be nice. ConTeXt/MetaFun are overwhelmingly flexible and powerful. It is hard to come up with a good idea. Who is targeted?

At an open source fair or hacker meeting, the target groups seem to be
– IT people who use TeX to create PDFs of software documentation
– students/academics who use TeX for scientific work
– people who look for open source solutions to all kind of tasks (e.g.
at FrOSCon I had a long conversation about creating genealogy trees,
since GRAMPS’ are ugly)

There are also authors/selfpublishers/micropublishers, but these I meet
at book fairs, not at open source conferences. For people who don’t know
they might be happy with a “programming system” we’d need a different
poster. (The LaTeX-based SPBuchsatz targets this clientele.)

I want to show a few interesting things that are possible with
ConTeXt/MetaPost and a few basics how it works.

I guess I’ll use the “christmas card memory” patterns as a background
(thanks, Hans!).

I tried to sketch the relationship of Lua/TeX/MetaPost in LuaMetaTeX and
ConTeXt LMTX around it, with different inputs and PDF/XML output – don’t
know yet how to make this easily understandable…

> ConTeXt is interesting for people that want to
>
> integrate a typesetting system in a publishing environment, because
> ConTeXt does not stand in your way as LaTeX often do and has many
> programming features (lua, xml ...) or
>
> typeset very customized layouts.
>
> These two target groups are very different. Integratable building blocks
> for a complex publishing system or programmable layout machine – sorry, I am just
> brainstorming, but I like the idea of a poster.

Well, I’m using ConTeXt to produce PDFs for very different books,
magazines, invoices/letters, presentations, jam labels, t-shirt designs…

Not any more for interactive forms or shipping documents, because the
projects have run out. And my online crossword puzzle generator (with
ConTeXt and LaTeX output) doesn’t work anymore…

We know ConTeXt/MetaPost is used for stock reports (hi Ramkumar),
calendars (hi Willi), more books and magazines, textbooks and other
educational material (e.g. math4all), energy reports (French power
plants and Hans’ heating), planning model railways & typesetting
stitching patterns (hi Taco), art (e.g. Eçir Baff), …

In short: There aren’t only two groups, I guess.

@ 2024-01-11 13:46     ` Fabrice L
From: Fabrice L @ 2024-01-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list, dear Hraban,

> Le 7 janv. 2024 à 13:58, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> a écrit :
>
> Am 07.01.24 um 17:11 schrieb garulfo:
>> does this kind of poster would make sense ?
>> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Cover_Pages#Poster_01_-_proposal_for_Libre_Planet_2021
>
> Thank you, that looks good but it’s not what I had in mind.
>
> I meant a poster _about_ ConTeXt, not only made with our toolset (I have a stack of books for that). Maybe something about typography.
>
> Here’s how the DANTE booth at FrOSCon 2023 looked like:
> https://yemaya.fiee.net/s/qTkeXAmXmJeosJc
> (The “mindmap” diagram on the left shows projects supported by DANTE, in the middle a drawing by Duane Bibby, on the right a Tux with its TikZ source code in the back.)
> We also had posters that show the architecture of TeX/LaTeX, but they were seriously outdated.
>
> Some elements that might fit:
> – some example code (like from Mikael’s BachoTeX presentation)
> – anatomy of a word and a formula (with all those little boxes and measures), maybe also in Arabic
> – dodo & cow drawings from Mikael’s math manual
> – overview of layout areas (I re-made Sietse’s drawing from the wiki for my book)
> - workflow diagrams
> – parts of LuaMetaTeX
> – artwork by Eçir Baff (art-aleatoire.com)
> – Hans’ recent christmas card / memory game artwork
>
> But I don’t want just a wild collection of stuff, there should be something connecting them. It should be interesting to look at as well as basic information about ConTeXt.
> Hraban

The suite ConTeXt/Metafun is so powerful, and can do so much different things, as already mentioned, that it can be difficult to present it in a coherent way. Perhaps this angle is that Context is a real Swiss Army knife: not only can it do lots of different things, it can do them very very well!
You can take (and or I can provide in PDF of) any artwork from art-aleatoire.com <http://art-aleatoire.com/>, and if you wish/need I can contribute to an « art » part !

Fabrice.

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: LMTX schema for poster
@ 2024-01-11 18:52     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-11 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Here’s a preliminary schema of LMTX. What do you think?

Is there something important missing?
Maybe add mtxrun, hyphenation patterns, modules. Move the images to the
resources?
Maybe I should replace the “files” within MkXL with the parts like
parser, par builder and whatever?
I don’t want to complicate it needlessly.

I’ll redraw it in MetaPost (with proper typography) if I’m sure enough.

Hraban

[-- Attachment #2: LMTX-Schema.pdf --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: LMTX schema for poster
@ 2024-01-11 19:15       ` vm via ntg-context
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: vm via ntg-context @ 2024-01-11 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: vm

On 11/01/2024 19:52, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Here’s a preliminary schema of LMTX. What do you think?

as is, it is difficult to understand where to look.
what does is describe?

e.g. what is the distinction between the 'source' (lua tex) and the
'resources' (fonts icc lib) and the 'frontend' (tex xml png ...mp)
(no lua?)

@ 2024-01-11 20:44         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
       [not found]         ` <98B323BA-7957-48ED-B27D-0E8916F460A6@scorecrow.com>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vm via ntg-context

Am 11.01.24 um 20:15 schrieb vm via ntg-context:

> On 11/01/2024 19:52, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Here’s a preliminary schema of LMTX. What do you think?
>
> as is, it is difficult to understand where to look.
> what does is describe?
>
> e.g. what is the distinction between the 'source' (lua tex) and the
> 'resources' (fonts icc lib) and the 'frontend' (tex xml png ...mp)
> (no lua?)

I tried to show that ConTeXt consists of tex and lua files – but the
functional elements probably would make more sense, like in the binary.
I’m not sure which to name, though: parser, paragraph builder, page
builder, pdf backend – what else? And isn’t it too complicated again?

Resources are not part of the core system (even if partially of the
distribution), but needed depending on the project.

Yes, input can also contain Lua, of course.

@ 2024-01-11 23:18         ` Bruce Horrocks
       [not found]         ` <98B323BA-7957-48ED-B27D-0E8916F460A6@scorecrow.com>
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2024-01-11 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 11 Jan 2024, at 19:15, vm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>

> On 11/01/2024 19:52, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Here’s a preliminary schema of LMTX. What do you think?
>
> as is, it is difficult to understand where to look.
> what does is describe?
>
> e.g. what is the distinction between the 'source' (lua tex) and the 'resources' (fonts icc lib) and the 'frontend' (tex xml png ...mp)
> (no lua?)

Agreed.

In no particular order:

1. "ConTeXt" should be the biggest word - or as an obvious title for the poster, away from the actual drawing.

2. Don't add the "MkXL" bit - it's a distracting detail that no one needs to know at this stage. Also it looks like "Mk 40" in Roman numerals, or extra large.

3. I though Hans had stopped using the TeX style capitalisation now i.e. just "Context"?

4. It's not clear whether the intersecting boxes are simply decorative or meant to present some sort of logical structure. I'm happy for it to be decorative, in which case fewer labels might be better.

5. Similar to the box structure comment is that it's not clear which words I should be looking at. Ask yourself: what word(s) do I want the viewer to remember when they walk away?

6. Consider swapping the TeX and MetaPost circles so that Lua, MetaPost and TeX are read left to right as they appear in the acronym LMTX. Perhaps invert the "triangle" so that there are two circles at the top.

7. It doesn't really tell the viewer that Context is a typesetting system - it looks like it is a system for producing XMLs and PDFs. (Which is what it is but... much more)

8. Don't forget space for a URL and/or a QR code to the Contextgarden website.

Sorry if the above sounds harsh - not meant to be - just brain storming.

I have a suggestion though. Use the Christmas card code / memory game code to produce patterns to use as the dots in the QR code? If the QR is large enough for people to distinguish the individual dots then it would provide a talking point? Or maybe have a copy of the card game to hand and challenge them to find a randomly drawn card in the QR code?

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

@ 2024-01-12  6:29           ` vm via ntg-context
From: vm via ntg-context @ 2024-01-12  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: vm

On 12/01/2024 00:18, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> 3. I though Hans had stopped using the TeX style capitalisation now i.e.
> just "Context"?

Maybe this is the time to change to a 'ctx' token instead of 'context'
(e.g. a lot ambiguity when searching online)

ctx as in cee-tee-ex
or if you want it to texify: cTx
where the T is like an umbrella (in the world of typesetting ;-)

.F

@ 2024-01-12  7:39           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-01-12  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.01.24 um 22:04 schrieb Bruce Horrocks:

> 1. "ConTeXt" should be the biggest word - or as an obvious title for the poster, away from the actual drawing.

This will be only a part of the poster. I imagine a 3x3 grid with a
title above and some information (website etc.) below.
The 9 elements of the grid will be
- such a diagram that explains the building blocks / general workflow
– the diagram of the layout areas
– the project structure (environment, product, component)
– some examples of code and results
I wanted to use the “christmas card” squares for borders around and
inbetween.

> 2. Don't add the "MkXL" bit - it's a distracting detail that no one needs to know at this stage. Also it looks like "Mk 40" in Roman numerals, or extra large.

ok. But “extra large” is intentional, I guess.

> 3. I though Hans had stopped using the TeX style capitalisation now i.e. just "Context"?

Hans uses different versions.
We use “context group”, but I keep ConTeXt; esp. in the context of LaTeX
(DANTE booth!), I’d like to stress that it’s still TeX.

> 4. It's not clear whether the intersecting boxes are simply decorative or meant to present some sort of logical structure. I'm happy for it to be decorative, in which case fewer labels might be better.

ConTeXt “wraps” the LuaMetaTeX binary, since it handles the input as
well as the output. I wasn’t sure how to show what controls what.

> 5. Similar to the box structure comment is that it's not clear which words I should be looking at. Ask yourself: what word(s) do I want the viewer to remember when they walk away?
>
> 6. Consider swapping the TeX and MetaPost circles so that Lua, MetaPost and TeX are read left to right as they appear in the acronym LMTX. Perhaps invert the "triangle" so that there are two circles at the top.

My first idea was to show that TeX and MP are under Lua control, but
Hans disagreed. So while the 3 subsystems interact, I wanted to keep TeX
on top.

> 7. It doesn't really tell the viewer that Context is a typesetting system - it looks like it is a system for producing XMLs and PDFs. (Which is what it is but... much more)

I’ll show some typography on the poster, and there will be books around.

> 8. Don't forget space for a URL and/or a QR code to the Contextgarden website.

See above.

> Sorry if the above sounds harsh - not meant to be - just brain storming.

No problem, thank you!

> I have a suggestion though. Use the Christmas card code / memory game code to produce patterns to use as the dots in the QR code? If the QR is large enough for people to distinguish the individual dots then it would provide a talking point? Or maybe have a copy of the card game to hand and challenge them to find a randomly drawn card in the QR code?

I don’t think I understand your intention. I wouldn’t construct a QR
code out of other stuff, it would become too big.