* HTML output
@ 2013-02-19 14:05 Troy Henderson
From: Troy Henderson @ 2013-02-19 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to convert my ConTeXt document to both PDF and "plain" HTML.
I need plain HTML output (i.e., not XML or XHTML) because my institution's
web based management software allows me to copy/paste plain HTML snippets
but not XML or XHTML.  Is it possible for ConTeXt to output HTML so that
the result looks as close to the PDF output as possible?

Troy Henderson

* Re: HTML output
@ 2013-02-19 14:22 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-02-19 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–02–19 Troy Henderson wrote:

> I would like to convert my ConTeXt document to both PDF and "plain" HTML.

My suggestion: Use markdown (or reST) with pandoc.

> I need plain HTML output (i.e., not XML or XHTML) because my institution's
> web based management software allows me to copy/paste plain HTML snippets
> but not XML or XHTML.

ConTeXt does output XML, not XHTML. You would need to do the
XML → XHTML conversion yourself.

> Is it possible for ConTeXt to output HTML so that the result looks
> as close to the PDF output as possible?

\startnitpicking
  HTML does not look like anything. It's a markup language that simply
  states that *this* element is a header and *that* element is a list,
  etc. How the HTML is rendered is mostly controlled by the CSS.
\stopnitpicking

Within the limits of CSS you obtain a quite close match¹. But it's
up to you to create the matching CSS.

Marco

¹ http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/55945/5245

* Re: HTML output
@ 2013-02-19 18:08   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2013-02-19 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 02/19/2013 09:22 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> Within the limits of CSS you obtain a quite close match¹. But it's
> up to you to create the matching CSS.
>
> Marco

You can do a pretty good job of matching the printed page with HTML5 +
CSS3 here's a good reference:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Unfortunately, implementation of these standards is a bit spotty. The
problem is in the browsers. Chrome/Chromium has done the best job of
implementing HTML5 to date, IE the worst. with Firefox and Safari in
between.

Similarly, EPUB (based on XHTML) is in a similar situation. EPUB3 is
based on HTML5 while EPUB2 on XHTML1.1 The corresponding CSS support
tells you how well most e-book readers handle the new format. At the
moment, there is very little support for EPUB3 in applications and
dedicated readers (Kindle, Nook & al.)

It's best if you design your document with these formats in mind or put
up with how your document is rendered.

As a not-very-good fallback, you can always convert your document to
PNG/JPEG images and use HTML to simply display them in the proper order.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan USA

* Re: HTML output
@ 2013-02-19 18:15 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-02-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Troy Henderson wrote:

> I would like to convert my ConTeXt document to both PDF and "plain" HTML.
> I need plain HTML output (i.e., not XML or XHTML) because my institution's
> web based management software allows me to copy/paste plain HTML snippets
> but not XML or XHTML.

I was in a similar position, and, in the end opted for markdown +
gpp-preprocessing as the input format, and using pandoc to convert from
markdown to HTML and ConTeXt.

Aditya

* Re: HTML output
@ 2013-02-19 19:09     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2013-02-19 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2013-02-19 um 19:08 schrieb Bill Meahan:

> On 02/19/2013 09:22 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
>> Within the limits of CSS you obtain a quite close match¹. But it's
>> up to you to create the matching CSS.
>>
>> Marco
>>
> You can do a pretty good job of matching the printed page with HTML5 + CSS3 here's a good reference:
> http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

No, that's not a good reference. Please read http://w3fools.com/ and refere to an actual reference like http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Elements or https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Element

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: HTML output
@ 2013-02-20 14:40       ` William Adams
From: William Adams @ 2013-02-20 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:09 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> No, that's not a good reference. Please read http://w3fools.com/ and refere to an actual reference like http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Elements or https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Element

It seems it's a bit more complex than that. One article which seemed even-handed:

http://readwrite.com/2011/01/17/w3schools-responds-to-w3fools

and some valid discussion at:

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/120621/w3fools-alternatives

William