* LMTX, mathcases and noalign
@ 2020-11-13 15:21 Jean-Philippe Rey
From: Jean-Philippe Rey @ 2020-11-13 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I am trying to switch from MKIV to LMTX. I've just found a discrepancy with the following code which puts space between two lines in a math alignment. This minimum breaking example uses \startcases, but the same problem arises with other alignment macros.

\starttext
\startformula
\startcases
\NC 1 \NC if not null \NR
\noalign{\vskip2ex}
\NC 0 \NC if null \NR
\stopcases
\stopformula
\stoptext

This snippet works fine with MKIV but breaks in LMTX (see attached log file). Is this a bug in LMTX or is there another way to insert space between two lines?

I've already tried different other solutions, but none seems really appropriate:

- \intertext produces a vertical space of at least 3 lines and I haven't been able to make it smaller;

- adding an empty line (\NC \NR) produces a smaller space but I am unable to reduce its height below a minimum value (roughly a line);

- adding a \vrule to the above or below line works fine but it needs some calculation depending on the content of the line.

Thank you for your help,

--
Jean-Philippe Rey
jean-philippe.rey@centralesupelec.fr

[-- Attachment #2: noalign-mfe.log --]

open source     > level 1, order 1, name 'cont-yes.mkiv'
system          >
system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2020.11.08 12:42 LMTX  fmt: 2020.11.13  int: english/english
system          >
system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > level 2, order 2, name '/Users/jprey/Applications/ConTeXt/2020-11-09/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
close source    > level 2, order 2, name '/Users/jprey/Applications/ConTeXt/2020-11-09/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > files > jobname 'noalign-mfe', input './noalign-mfe', result 'noalign-mfe'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
open source     > level 2, order 3, name './noalign-mfe.tex'
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded

tex error       > tex error on line 5 in file ./noalign-mfe.tex: Misplaced \crcr

<macro> \math_cases_NR [#1][#2]->\strc_formulas_place_number_nested {#1}{#2}\crcr

<macro> \dodirectdoubleempty ...\expandafter \syst_helpers_direct_double_empty_one_yes \else \expandafter \syst_helpers_direct_double_empty_one_nop \fi #1
<template> \stopimath
    \endtemplate

<line 4.5> \noalign
    {\vskip2ex}

 1     \starttext
 2     \startformula
 3     \startcases
 4     \NC 1 \NC if not null \NR
 5 >>  \noalign{\vskip2ex}
 6     \NC 0 \NC if null \NR
 7     \stopcases
 8     \stopformula
 9     \stoptext
10

I can't figure out why you would want to use a tab mark or \cr or \span just
now. If something like a right brace up above has ended a previous alignment
prematurely, you're probably due for more error messages.

[-- Attachment #3: noalign-mfe-error.log --]

return {
 ["errortype"]=0,
 ["filename"]="./noalign-mfe.tex",
 ["lastluaerror"]="?",
 ["lasttexerror"]="Misplaced \\crcr",
 ["lasttexhelp"]="I can't figure out why you would want to use a tab mark or \\cr or \\span just\nnow. If something like a right brace up above has ended a previous alignment\nprematurely, you're probably due for more error messages.",
 ["linenumber"]=5,
 ["offset"]=10,
 ["skiplinenumber"]=5,
}

* Re: LMTX, mathcases and noalign
@ 2020-11-13 16:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-11-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/13/2020 4:21 PM, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to switch from MKIV to LMTX. I've just found a discrepancy with the following code which puts space between two lines in a math alignment. This minimum breaking example uses \startcases, but the same problem arises with other alignment macros.
>
> \starttext
> \startformula
> \startcases
> \NC 1 \NC if not null \NR
> \noalign{\vskip2ex}
> \NC 0 \NC if null \NR
> \stopcases
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> This snippet works fine with MKIV but breaks in LMTX (see attached log file). Is this a bug in LMTX or is there another way to insert space between two lines?
>
> I've already tried different other solutions, but none seems really appropriate:
>
> - \intertext produces a vertical space of at least 3 lines and I haven't been able to make it smaller;
>
> - adding an empty line (\NC \NR) produces a smaller space but I am unable to reduce its height below a minimum value (roughly a line);
>
> - adding a \vrule to the above or below line works fine but it needs some calculation depending on the content of the line.
we're in the process of upgrading some code in lmtx ... so the next
upload will provide \TB (as in other tabular like mechanisms)

Actually your code will not work in a recent lmtx. This has to do with
the fact that a \noalign is always somewhat tricky (relates to the
engine looking ahead for specific commands). In mkiv (an dolder lmtx)
there is some \noalign overload magic that deals with that but in recent
lmtx we use a different approach.

\starttext

The next code defines a macro \TB that is protected but still acceptable
for alignment lookahead checking with an optional argument and that
behaves like \blank.

\pushoverloadmode
\noaligned\tolerant\protected\def\TB[#1]{\noalign{\blank[#1]}}
\popoverloadmode

\startformula
\startcases
\NC 1 \NC if not null \NR
\TB[2ex]
\NC 0 \NC if null \NR
\TB[4*big]
\NC 0 \NC if null \NR
\stopcases
\stopformula

\stoptext

(There is a little more involved because we want to protect commands
like \TB against overloading while at the same time we do overload them
in all those different table mechanisms but this is not something users
have to worry about.)

Btw, using \noalign is to be avoided because it assumes that the
mechanism uses the alignment mechanism.

But best wait for the next upload.

Hans