* \autoinsertnextspace regression / discrepancy, mkiv to lmtx
@ 2022-10-25 23:52 Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2022-10-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rik Kabel

The following example produces different results when processed by LMTX
and MkIV. In particular, a space between the X and Y is not
auto-inserted by LMTX, while it is by MkIV.

    \starttexdefinition TEST #1
       #1\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition
    \tt
    \starttext
       \TEST{X} \emph{Y}
    \stoptext

The MkIV result is the correct result (in my opinion).

--
Rik

* Re: \autoinsertnextspace regression / discrepancy, mkiv to lmtx
@ 2022-10-26 11:43 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-26 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/26/2022 1:52 AM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
> The following example produces different results when processed by LMTX
> and MkIV. In particular, a space between the X and Y is not
> auto-inserted by LMTX, while it is by MkIV.
>
>     \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>        #1\autoinsertnextspace
>     \stoptexdefinition
>     \tt
>     \starttext
>        \TEST{X} \emph{Y}
>     \stoptext
>
> The MkIV result is the correct result (in my opinion).
more a side effect ... we lookahead and \emph is not some character

I made a variants that does abetter job on that

\starttexdefinition TEST #1
     #1%
     \autoinsertedspace % subtle name change
\stoptexdefinition

but you have to wait till we update,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: \autoinsertnextspace regression / discrepancy, mkiv to lmtx
@ 2022-10-26 13:35   ` Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2022-10-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rik Kabel

On 2022-10-26 07:43, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/26/2022 1:52 AM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
>> The following example produces different results when processed by
>> LMTX and MkIV. In particular, a space between the X and Y is not
>> auto-inserted by LMTX, while it is by MkIV.
>>
>>     \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>>        #1\autoinsertnextspace
>>     \stoptexdefinition
>>     \tt
>>     \starttext
>>        \TEST{X} \emph{Y}
>>     \stoptext
>>
>> The MkIV result is the correct result (in my opinion).
> more a side effect ... we lookahead and \emph is not some character
>
> I made a variants that does abetter job on that
>
> \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>     #1%
>     \autoinsertedspace % subtle name change
> \stoptexdefinition
>
> but you have to wait till we update,
>
> Hans

Thank you in advance for the upcoming fix.

Can you tell us (me) why you chose to create a new macro,
\autoinsertedspace, instead of changing the code for
\autoinsertnextspace in LMTX? Do you see a circumstance under which the
current LMTX behavior of \autoinsertnextspace is desirable or required?
Will the new macro be available under MkIV?

--

@ 2022-10-27  7:54     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-27  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/26/2022 3:35 PM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:

> On 2022-10-26 07:43, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> On 10/26/2022 1:52 AM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
>>> The following example produces different results when processed by
>>> LMTX and MkIV. In particular, a space between the X and Y is not
>>> auto-inserted by LMTX, while it is by MkIV.
>>>
>>>     \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>>>        #1\autoinsertnextspace
>>>     \stoptexdefinition
>>>     \tt
>>>     \starttext
>>>        \TEST{X} \emph{Y}
>>>     \stoptext
>>>
>>> The MkIV result is the correct result (in my opinion).
>> more a side effect ... we lookahead and \emph is not some character
>>
>> I made a variants that does abetter job on that
>>
>> \starttexdefinition TEST #1
>>     #1%
>>     \autoinsertedspace % subtle name change
>> \stoptexdefinition
>>
>> but you have to wait till we update,
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Thank you in advance for the upcoming fix.
>
> Can you tell us (me) why you chose to create a new macro,
> \autoinsertedspace, instead of changing the code for
> \autoinsertnextspace in LMTX? Do you see a circumstance under which the
> current LMTX behavior of \autoinsertnextspace is desirable or required?

compatibility .. it also uses a different mechanism for which that name
suits better

> Will the new macro be available under MkIV?
I suppose I can do that if needed,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE