* Sentence breaks for "English-style" (TeX default in English language) spacing regime
@ 2023-02-03 18:11 Henry House via ntg-context
From: Henry House via ntg-context @ 2023-02-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

List: What method should one use to code whitespace after a period as
being sentence-ending, not midsentence, when not employing French
spacing? For example, if one writes

"... John Doe, PhD.  Next sentence x y z ... ."

the space in "PhD.  Next".

In LaTeX, we have "\@. " (code whitespace following puctuation mark as
sentence-separating length) and "\ " (code space as intrasentence
length) to adjust the magical behavior of ASCII spaces. By
experimentation I have found that "Prof.\ Smith" works as expected in
ConTeXt but "PhD\@. Next sentence ..." is a nonexistent control code.

        Prof. Smith % heuristic thinks that the period ends a sentence --- wrong typesetting behavior
        Prof.\ Smith % coded as space after abbreviation not sentence-separating space --- correct typesetting behavior under English spacing regime

versus:

        PhD\@. Next sentence % Official LaTeX method, nonexistent control

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/French_spacing Not helpful alas.

* Re: Sentence breaks for "English-style" (TeX default in English language) spacing regime
@ 2023-02-04  9:10 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-04  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry House via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/3/23 19:11, Henry House via ntg-context wrote:
> List: What method should one use to code whitespace after a period as
> being sentence-ending, not midsentence, when not employing French
> spacing?

Hi Henry,

not sure I’m getting your point, since this is also a question of
perspective.

What may be named “French spacing” in English may be considered as
“English spacing” in any other European language.

But this is pure TeX
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/teximpatient.git/plain/teximpatient/book.pdf#search=null):

  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
  PhD. Next sentence

  PhD\null. Next sentence
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

I think this may be what you want.

> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/French_spacing Not helpful alas.

Would you be so kind to update the wiki?

I hope it helps,

Pablo

* Re: Sentence breaks for "English-style" (TeX default in English language) spacing regime
@ 2023-02-05 12:44   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-02-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 2/4/2023 10:10 AM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 2/3/23 19:11, Henry House via ntg-context wrote:
>> List: What method should one use to code whitespace after a period as
>> being sentence-ending, not midsentence, when not employing French
>> spacing?
>
> Hi Henry,
>
> not sure I’m getting your point, since this is also a question of
> perspective.
>
> What may be named “French spacing” in English may be considered as
> “English spacing” in any other European language.
>
> But this is pure TeX
> (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/teximpatient.git/plain/teximpatient/book.pdf#search=null):
>
>    \starttext
>    \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
>    PhD. Next sentence
>
>    PhD\null. Next sentence
>    \stopTEXpage
>    \stoptext
>
> I think this may be what you want.

>> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/French_spacing Not helpful alas.
>
> Would you be so kind to update the wiki?
>
> I hope it helps,
Assuming that you document it I'll add

test\fsp. test. test

where fsp == fixed space functuation

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Sentence breaks for "English-style" (TeX default in English language) spacing regime
@ 2023-02-14 17:57     ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-02-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 2/5/23 13:44, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 2/4/2023 10:10 AM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>>> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/French_spacing Not helpful alas.
>>
>> Would you be so kind to update the wiki?
>>
>> I hope it helps,
> Assuming that you document it I'll add
>
> test\fsp. test. test
>
> where fsp == fixed space functuation