* Assigning identifiers to definition items
@ 2023-11-06 12:13 A A
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgNTwDo55QU5dZsgeXQpG9jAr1_RevLPdshEjFgqyF=gLQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-11-06 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc will convert the following markdown:

Term 1

: Definition 1

: Definition 2

Term 2

: Definition 1

To the following HTML:

<dl>
<dt>Term 1</dt>
<dd>
</dd>
<dd>
</dd>
<dt>Term 2</dt>
<dd>
</dd>
</dl>

How easy/straightforward is it to assign identifiers to specific
*definition* items in markdown? For example such that the resulting HTML
looks like the following:

<dl>
<dt>Term 1</dt>
<dd id="def-1-term-1">
</dd>
<dd>
</dd>
<dt>Term 2</dt>
<dd>
</dd>
</dl>

* Re: Assigning identifiers to definition items
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgNTwDo55QU5dZsgeXQpG9jAr1_RevLPdshEjFgqyF=gLQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-11-06 15:02   ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <CAEe_xxiyw7-04ghifFmDDv3XH0rBVL-WszRX44=27Q_OP+XSnA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-11-06 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can use bracketed spans
<https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-bracketed_spans> to do this
manually, as in:

[Term 1]{#term-1}
Reference to [Term 1](#term-1).

We use an *auto-identifiers.lua* filter that I could probably add to
pandoc-ext <https://github.com/pandoc-ext>. This will auto-derive the
identifiers from the span content. This allows you to write this:

[Term 1]{}
Reference to [Term 1]().

or this (the t: is used as a prefix):

[Term 1]{#t:}
Reference to [Term 1](#t:).

The latter example generates this HTML.

@ 2023-11-11 21:57       ` A A
From: A A @ 2023-11-11 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks William, this will certainly come in handy, however I was asking
about linking to specific *definitions*, not *terms*, i.e. in the case
where I have multiple definitions for a single term, I'd like to be able to
link to only one of them from another definition or from the main body of
my document....

@ 2023-11-11 22:57         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-11-11 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Same thing, but on the definition:

Term 1

: Definition 1

: [Definition 2]{#t1-def2}

Term 2

: Definition 1

Here Term 1 has [this meaning](#t1-def2).

@ 2023-11-12 10:05           ` A A
       [not found]             ` <CAMwawgNoS75CPOstiM0Xv7xtBLK+Ff3Jp1o2udPnBQaHhH06VQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-11-12 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ok, thanks for that, but when I try to convert something like the following:

[USA]{#usa}
: United States of America

The resulting HTML looks like this:

<dd>
United States of America
</dd>

The hash symbol gets dropped which basically makes that span useless as the
target of an anchor link. I think I’m probably still doing something wrong
but I’m not sure what.

@ 2023-11-12 10:13               ` A A
       [not found]                 ` <CAMwawgM3gEOSrSQFvE9k2_6+J=gmvW0MP6bo6dXVBvNNagufTQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-11-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Nevermind sorry. Please disregard my last reply. The anchor link works fine.

@ 2023-11-12 10:27                   ` A A
       [not found]                     ` <CAMwawgMH_vudUviXZa8odQ-jyn5Snk3YYGzx4K9to2RBQ_dpOA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-11-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hey William,

I'd be interested in getting a hold of that filter you mentioned, I can see
how it would greatly reduce the amount of bookkeeping required here.

I did check in https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters as well as the link
you provided but couldn't find it. I could also technically make my own
filter or post-process the resulting document using JS but if you have that
filter on hand that would be very helpful.

Regards,

Amine

@ 2023-11-12 10:50                       ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                         ` <CAEe_xxjOecwEVJSiO+BQDVHqc1zaDxHZuuzDSTDjZEmQna4xOg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-11-12 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

BTW, sorry for failing to read your original message properly!

Right. The auto-identifiers.lua filter is not yet in pandoc-ext, but I'll
look into adding it. Note that it doesn't remove the need to add an
identifier (it just derives the identifier from the content).

I think that auto-defined identifiers are only appropriate for terms, not
for definitions, but you could use a filter such as the one shown below to
auto-add identifiers to definitions if their terms have identifiers. Using
this input (based on Bastien's):

[Term 1]{#t1}

: Definition 1

: Definition 2

Term 2

: Definition 1

Here Term 1 has [this meaning](#t1-def2).

gives this HTML:

<dl>
<dd>
</dd>
<dd>
</dd>
<dt>Term 2</dt>
<dd>
</dd>
</dl>

The filter:

function DefinitionList(list)
    local changed = false
    for _, item in ipairs(list.content) do
        local term = item[1]
        local defs = item[2]
        if (#term > 0 and term[1].tag == 'Span' and
            #term[1].attr.identifier > 0) then
            local term_id = term[1].attr.identifier
            for i, def in ipairs(defs) do
                if #def > 0 then
                    local def_id = string.format('%s-def%s', term_id, i)
                    def[1].content:insert(
                        1, pandoc.Span({}, pandoc.Attr(def_id)))
                    changed = true
                end
            end
        end